A NOS 192/24 DAC with the PCM1794 (and WaveIO USB input)

In the meantime I can report that the Kali works perfectly with my DDDAC board. I haven't changed anything at all since my latest post where I wrote that the crackle / noise was "almost gone". I guess I have a bad solder joint somewhere on my DDDAC board, and warming up the electronics for a while made the issue go away. I haven't changed the WaveIO settings either. Just beautiful music out of the Kali + DDDAC combo. Highly recommended! One of my best DDDAC upgrades!

(I have a replacement DDDAC mainboard on the way to me, and I'll try that nevertheless. Have to sort out my suspicious DDDAC board with it's many mods.)

Holy Cow!! So it just worked like that. That's amazing, congratulations.

In the meantime, I also have been trying various options/fixes to understand the problem.

Try 1 - Allo's Sparky (Software Volumia) ->I2S Out ->jumper cables -> DDDAC's I2S In = Massive Crackling sound from left channel (this was say 5 times the crackling observed when Sparky & Kali play together via I2S). Tried modifying the mpd.conf file with the suggested FIFO changes but it did not work out.

Read through the release notes 3.1 of Moode Audio and was extremely hopeful to see it mention proper compatibility with DDDAC as a pre-added device under the USB/I2S device list & also the fact that it pre-packages an MPD wildcard resample rates FIFO, FIFO scheduler for MPD. My understanding is that the crackle is due to the bit rates transferred to the DDDAC and that I was not able to set it up properly via the mpd.conf file in Volumio.

Hence, I ordered a Raspberry Pi 3 to try out the Kali with that and Moode Audio.

And.....the issue is FIXED !! I was so ecstatic when this issue was solved. For anyone who still uses an old RED motherboard and is wanting to go the Pi-based streamer route, here is what I had to try.

Played music through the Pi/Kali combo via I2S and music was clean but still there was a bit of crackle. Interestingly the crackle was very faint and non intrusive. However, I wanted a clean signal out till the last refinement. I started playing around with the settings and specially the MPD settings. I checked the HW parameters through the kernel and saw that at default settings 32 bit output was being sent to the DDDAC (or thats what the parameters said). I changed the rescheduled from TS to FIFO hoping that it will fix the crackle but it dint. I then changed the sampling rates to 16bit/* -> crackle dint go away, changed it to 24bit/* -> no change. Then I just thought let me change the rate to 24 bit & 192Khz and...it was GONE !! there was clean music coming out and my god does it sound OPEN. I agree that it is the best output I have heard from my DDDAC till date. Although from a puritan's point of view fixing the output to 24/192 is not ideal but at least it gives me the hope that it is fixable. I will try out more things to work out the as-is playback and report my observations.

Cheers !!

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Need to get some sleep before connecting the output power cables to the ll1662. Then check once again before connecting my gear. The soldering terminations that lundahl uses are to flimsy for Me!
Just a few hours and I will know if I will buy one or two more ll1662 for my other electronics.
Greetings, eduard

What are you guys using to power the Kali and RPI combo? Spec on the Volumio site is 5V/3A.

They sell a "Wall wart" which us supposed to have filtering but I'm wondering is there a good alternative, as I don;t really want to have to plugin the wall wart as well as a power lead to the DDDAC?
Are you replacing the WaveIO with the Pi+Kali? You could use the PSU for the WaveIO.

Removal bypass of Spdif

Hi Forum

In my Dddac build i use BBB-Hermes-Cronus-Dddac and don't need the Spdif option, is it ok only to remove the two LF33 and caps around them, and the 3 resistors R9-R10-R11. Or should i also remove WM8804 the Tent clock and all caps and resistors connecting to them?

Thanks Bastian

Hi Forum

In my Dddac build i use BBB-Hermes-Cronus-Dddac and don't need the Spdif option, is it ok only to remove the two LF33 and caps around them, and the 3 resistors R9-R10-R11. Or should i also remove WM8804 the Tent clock and all caps and resistors connecting to them?

Thanks Bastian

Why don't you just leave those parts where they are? There's nothing wrong with them.

A friend that knows electronics better then I.
And I think "Less is More". Correct me if i am wrong.

Looking at the schematic I see that the SPDIF and I2S inputs are pretty much separated from each other. If one is active, the other one is disconnected via IC4.

One could probably dream up a case that, for example when I2S is selected active at the USB/SPDIF switch, the SPDIF converter (IC5) might still output some random/undefined signal to IC4, and some of this might leak to the output of IC4, thus affecting the I2S signal going the 1/2 clock delay and the DAC boards. If you like to fight such dreams, removing the two LF33 would kill the power supply of IC5, and therefore remove any signals coming out of IC5. But I'd be VERY surprised if these dreams would have anything to do with reality ;-)

Just give it a try and report back if you observe any changes!

Hi Mbrennwa

Thanks for Your answer.
My dream started in post #2430 and that i will newer use Spdif, I had to know how to remove the tent clock. Next time i am going to resemble my dddac i will remove it and be back with answer.

Thanks Bastian

I thought I would take the liberty of highlighting the mainboard circuit that has the SPDIF components. Happy listening this is one hell of a good Dac :)

Attachments

• DDDAC 1794S Ver 4.4 (dragged).pdf
    777 KB · Views: 187