Digital, but not by the numbers - Page 21 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2012, 12:21 PM   #201
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Thanks for putting up the link to those measurements because it illustrates the graph I was referring to earlier. Here's the relevant section of the THD+N vs level plot. The top of the window shown is 0.01% or -80dB for this figure, vertical scale 5dB and across the screen heading to the right is the level increasing:
Attached Images
File Type: png ESS-80dB.png (2.0 KB, 124 views)
Old 1st December 2012, 12:25 PM   #202
diyAudio Member

Yeap.

Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
Same with THD vs level, there you can add the input level (horizontal axiss) and the measured THD+N to get the THD+N relative to full scale. As an example at -60dBFS the THD+N is -70dB, so the THD+N relative full scale is -130dB.
Old 1st December 2012, 12:37 PM   #203
Charles is offline Charles  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
So at what sample rate does his DAC actually run?
Hi Julf,

the DAC inside the Tera-Player runs on the native sample-rate of the wav file.

Supported sample-rates are 44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4 and 192 kHz.

The DAC could run up to 384 kHz, however then I would need a twice as fast ARM chip, which would be much bigger and would need more power. Therefore I have limited the max sample-rate to 192kHz, I wanted the Tera-Player to be small and have a long playtime, and there is not much 384kHz material available anyway.

Two separate oscillators with a max. RMS phase jitter of 1ps (acc. to data-sheet, I cannot measure such a low jitter) are employed for the timing.
One for 44.1 /88.2 /176.4 kHz.
and the other for 48/96/192 kHz.

The on-the-fly switching of the oscillators is quite tricky, and I am very happy that I was able to make it work, LOL

Charles
Old 1st December 2012, 12:41 PM   #204
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin View Post
Hi Frank,

I agree with most of what you say, but, I have noticed this phenomenon when listening to Meridian CD players ( of S-D ilk) as well as Rega's newest DAC, and even other peculiarities of a similar nature when listening to the ES9018 in the Wyred4Sound DAC.

I, perhaps incorrectly, have assumed that the above companies would be using a good implementation of this technology.

Which company do you know of, has a good implementation of S-D technology?

I wonder if you have had any experience with Burr Brown R2R, or TDA1541 done well?
Erin, I would be loath to recommend a particular company, or item, because in my experience it's more complicated than that. I come from the angle of whole system engineering, looking at an audio setup as being a single component, or circuit, starting from where the mains power is hooked into at the wall, right up to where the speaker driver is being driven. The fact that this typically is all separated into individual boxes just makes the whole business of getting a system to work right very messy, and introduces a high percentage of the problems, to boot.

So a particular DAC may be brilliant, or barely tolerable, for a whole range of issues, many of which really need to addressed by fiddling with the other boxes - the best way - or trying variations of the other boxes.

That said, I, like many others, would go for reasonably priced units that have got good reports by a wide variety of users as a starting point.

I have had good experiences with Burr Brown R2R, in older Yamaha gear ...

Frank
Old 1st December 2012, 12:59 PM   #205
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi, Charles,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
the DAC inside the Tera-Player runs on the native sample-rate of the wav file.
Thank you for that clarification!
Old 1st December 2012, 01:14 PM   #206
Charles is offline Charles  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Julf,

I just see your location is Amsterdam, this is where the Philips headquarters are.

Do you work for Philips ?

Just curious,

Charles
Old 1st December 2012, 01:27 PM   #207
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi, Charles,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I just see your location is Amsterdam, this is where the Philips headquarters are.
Indeed, and while I can't see the Philips head office building from my window, I just need to go around the corner to see it.

Quote:
Do you work for Philips?
No, I don't - and not many people do here in Amsterdam. Most of the Dutch R&D is in Eindhoven (where Philips originally started out from), but almost all real operational and manufacturing activities are outside the Netherlands these days.

[and to abraxalito - sorry for lingering on in your blogthread, but I wanted to reply to the direct question from Charles]
Old 1st December 2012, 02:04 PM   #208
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

OT noise removed. Stick to technical discussion.
Old 1st December 2012, 07:54 PM   #209
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
.... I come from the angle of whole system engineering, looking at an audio setup as being a single component, or circuit, starting from where the mains power is hooked into at the wall, right up to where the speaker driver is being driven. ... ...

Frank
abraxalito, You should hire Frank! :-)
Old 2nd December 2012, 06:02 AM   #210
PHEONIX is offline PHEONIX  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
How do you know the proportion of music that's recorded by SD?

Your question sounds like this question - all light in my room shines through a dirty window, what can a second clean window after that do that a second dirty one won't?
Hello Richard,

The worlds most used music production software is Pro Tools, its hardware would definitely be using SD A/D, as most everybody else does.

Could you please give an example of a Company which manufactures a non SD A/D converter which is used in professional audio products which is used for audio capturing for recording purposes in studios, which is current production.

Last edited by PHEONIX; 2nd December 2012 at 06:08 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!