ES9018 I2C controller

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found other ways but I will just use UNO. I can pull the UNO off my working DAC, or for $20 maybe just get another one.

Can you share your working BIII/CE644 v1.3 configuration? Stereo, dual mono, any switching like Sidecar/OTTO II?

I really appreciate the help. I consider myself brave and somewhat smart until I get involved with code.....

I thought I was smart too, until I tried to analyze this code. It is not really complete and has some bugs. It seems the developer has lost interest. Luckily for me, my setup is very simple. I use the BIII in stereo mode with only one input. JRiver MediaCenter feeding an Amanero USB with Hermes/Cronus interface.

Thanks for the details. I was dual mono BIII with single Legato output board, but have problem with one DAC board, so back to single stereo DAC until its fixed. I have downsized from multiple inputs to one USB to I2S. I use a Sonore USB to I2S module. I purchased it way before TP released the Amanero Hermes/Cronus combo and before the price of the Sonore increased. I did add the Hermes/Cronus to the Amanero in the DAC I built for my friend and tested it in mine. Huge improvement over the Amanero by itself.

A couple years back Robert told me he was going back to school. I thought he was plenty smart enough...lol

The multiple category tabs across the top of this code threw me. I thought it would be like the early code, one long continuous document. It's like multi-dimensional programming.:confused:

Last edited:
I started putting together a headphone dac/amp solution with a rev1.1 controller a few days ago. I am still using arduino 1.01 and the older code and libraries. Mainly due to poor eyesight and lazyness I guess (easier to continue with familiar code then starting over with new problems to solve). I guess I will migrate to newer solutions at some point, but atm I dont need the oled with this controller, and see no point in reinventing the wheel. I`d rather iron out the kinks in the firmware I`ve been using for ages then starting fresh with new kinks.

I am helping a friend with a dual mono build simular to yours Rich, but we made the desition to stick with a normal arduino uno (or simular) due to very limited space behind the oled (sandwitched between two machined 10mm alu panels). And so I doubt the code will be much help to you with your config being so different. But I will update the post at TPA forums as things progress.

I thought I was smart too, until I tried to analyze this code. It is not really complete and has some bugs. It seems the developer has lost interest. Luckily for me, my setup is very simple. I use the BIII in stereo mode with only one input. JRiver MediaCenter feeding an Amanero USB with Hermes/Cronus interface.

what bugs did you find?

the only one that I found is with volume control going contrary of what is pushed on the remote. it is happening sometimes and not always.

it would be very nice if someone would implement a rotary encoder for the controller :rolleyes:

I am helping a friend with a dual mono build simular to yours Rich, but we made the desition to stick with a normal arduino uno (or simular) due to very limited space behind the oled (sandwitched between two machined 10mm alu panels). And so I doubt the code will be much help to you with your config being so different. But I will update the post at TPA forums as things progress.

No worries. I just wanted to complicate things with a new project...lol

I am returning to simpler though, no SPDIF, no Teleporter input from Denon 3910. USB to I2S only in sync. Still using Arduino UNO, LCD with last version of CE328 firmware.

Got the Ardunio UNO and a 10uf cap delivered today. Hope to try this tonight.

Per Robert's instructions....

1) Install the Arduino IDE (version 1.01).
2) Click here to download Arduino software extension for the ATmega644.
3) Unzip and copy all folders and files to the Arduino 'hardware' folder.
4) Start the Arduino IDE.
5) Upload the 'ArduinoISP' sketch to your Arduino. (I found in Arduino v1.01 examples folder).
6)Select the ATmega644 under Tools→Board→ATmega644.
7)Now set the 'Arduino as ISP' programmer under Tools→Programmer→Arduino as ISP.
8)Install a 10uF capacitor between the reset pin and GND with the positive side facing the reset pin as in the image below.
9)Connect the Arduino to the ISP header according to the table below. Make sure that the controller is not powered by any source other than the Arduino!!!
10) Open and upload a sketch of your choice. Now the sketch is being uploaded to the controller's AVR

Just so I understand clearly...I presume after step 9) I would Burn Bootloader? Then after that I can use USB input to upload sketch?

Thanks,

what bugs did you find?

the only one that I found is with volume control going contrary of what is pushed on the remote. it is happening sometimes and not always.

it would be very nice if someone would implement a rotary encoder for the controller :rolleyes:

From my post #200 in this thread.

One line was missing a ; on the end which threw a compiling error. I don't remember where this was but it should be easy to find once you remove all those errors for multiple definitions.

When I was finally able to upload the files the controller worked good but did not display the correct sample rate. Robert helped me out by sending me his working files. I was able to find the discrepancy by comparing his files to mine. I changed the line "controller.sabreDAC.getSampleRate();” in the .ino file to "controller.sabreDAC.setSampleRate();” and the correct sample rate displayed for PCM files. There is still an issue with the sample rate display for DSD files. I have a few ideas on a solution but have not yet tried to correct this.

Hope this helps!

It lives! Thanks for all the help.

I read the tab thing is a way to separate complex pieces of code from one sketch. Wonder how hard it would be to copy working encoder code to a new page and get the main sketch to see it.

Attachments

• ce644_v1.3_works.jpg
    ce644_v1.3_works.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 498
Last edited:
Thanks!

Another question. Not that the clock is important to me, but I am unable to set date. Just wondering if it's the code or something might be wrong with my build.

After the two digit month, there is a digit that is fixed. Then I have two digits for date which only counts from 01 to 12. Then I have the four digits for year.

Like this 03[8]122016. I added brackets around fixed digit.

Thanks!

Another question. Not that the clock is important to me, but I am unable to set date. Just wondering if it's the code or something might be wrong with my build.

After the two digit month, there is a digit that is fixed. Then I have two digits for date which only counts from 01 to 12. Then I have the four digits for year.

Like this 03[8]122016. I added brackets around fixed digit.

Remember that the European convention is Day/Month/Year.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.