ES9023 DAC PCB - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2012, 10:20 AM   #41
jambul is offline jambul  Belgium
diyAudio Member

thanks jean paul & friend, for the hard work on your situation to help us hearing this chip. :-)

Regards,

Denis
Old 19th April 2012, 12:52 PM   #42
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

You are welcome. A new thread will be opened for a groupbuy by unixdeveloper. I hope that the DAC will perform like we want it to. Maybe unixdeveloper will comment on soundquality. I hope he does

It is (like most ES9023 designs) a very simple design. It has 4 ultra low noise voltage regs, a low jitter clock for the ES9023, film caps at the outputs and ... a possibility for having a balanced output. The latter will be tested by unixdeveloper as I only have asymmetrical equipment.

Last edited by jean-paul; 19th April 2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 19th April 2012, 01:02 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Is this board only SPDIF input? Any possibility of i2s input and leaving the WM8804 unpopulated for example?
Old 19th April 2012, 01:10 PM   #44

Exactly, only SPDIF and I2S so no USB. You can omit the WM8804 and go for I2S if you like. There are many USB DACs around but most stand alone devices (read: non-computer gear) still have SPDIF outputs. Of course it is a personal thing but I don't use a computer for audio nor any USB device. I get the impression that USB is not exactly a good replacement for our old enemy SPDIF. Building the DAC into devices and going the I2S route is the most optimal AFAIK.

I asked the mods to change the thread title to ES9023 DAC PCB as the ES9022 is old news, the ES9023 is its replacement for quite a while now. We use a 3.6 V reg for that matter to feed the ES9023 as it likes 3.6 V to obtain full 2.0 V output signal. Of course ES9022 can be used too with a 3.3 V reg.

Last edited by jean-paul; 19th April 2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 19th April 2012, 01:17 PM   #45
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Thread title changed.
Old 19th April 2012, 01:20 PM   #46

Thanks Wintermute.
Old 19th April 2012, 01:42 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Default interestedin DAC boards

Hello,

I too would be interested in participating, 2 boards w. chips
Old 19th April 2012, 04:04 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Default Pictures of the DAC

All -

As mentioned by Jean-Paul in his post here are the pictures of the boards. I listened for a while last night and it sounds good.

Its a simple design with balanced output option when two boards are used. Four low noise regulators are used on the board power each sections separately. The I2S pins are available for inputting I2S signals and skipping the S/PDIF receiver.

I can start a new group buy thread for members who wish to buy the boards. If there is not much interest, interested members can email me and I can arrange for the boards.

-Subbu
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DAC-PCB.jpg (140.5 KB, 3319 views)
File Type: jpg DAC-Assembled 2.jpg (150.0 KB, 3422 views)

Last edited by unixdeveloper; 19th April 2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 19th April 2012, 05:17 PM   #49

Hi, the board can take 2 positive supplies but they can both be coupled and fed by the same power supply. Since only one DAC has been built differences are not yet known. In fact we're a bit too early presenting the DAC but enthusiasm is a good thing

One of the connectors can be used for a separate power supply that feed the 2 regs for the WM8804 and the other connector can be used for the 2 regs that feed the oscillator and the ES9023. The board needs either one 5 V supply or 2 x 5 V if you want to separate and use both connectors. Somewhat higher voltages might be used but I would not push it.

Changing the board for USB use maybe is possible (I will not bother) but I would recommend the new born ODAC for that. It was introduced yesterday and I hope our DAC will be as promising as the ODAC looks on paper.

Last edited by jean-paul; 19th April 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 19th April 2012, 05:36 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixdeveloper View Post
All -

As mentioned by Jean-Paul in his post here are the pictures of the boards. I listened for a while last night and it sounds good.

Its a simple design with balanced output option when two boards are used. Four low noise regulators are used on the board power each sections separately. The I2S pins are available for inputting I2S signals and skipping the S/PDIF receiver.

I can start a new group buy thread for members who wish to buy the boards. If there is not much interest, interested members can email me and I can arrange for the boards.

-Subbu
I'm still interested, and I would expect a fair amount of interest in buying these boards.

Randy

Hide this!Advertise here!