ES9023 DAC PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Sorry but we kept things as they were which is already of a pretty high level. No changes anymore as PCBs will be produced. Decoupling has been changed somewhat and beads were added since we were at it and still had the possibility. So those of you that want to use other through hole caps will have to do the hard task of soldering them straight on the RCA connectors :yikes:

But I leave further communication to Unixdeveloper as he is the guy providing this Group Buy. Be glad we did this, there are no other SPDIF versions around for DIY. As far as I am involved no PSU PCB will be made as the DAC is happy with a decent "audio-standard" 5V power supply. The 4 onboard regs do a good job. The complete DAC draws 50 to 70 mA depending on which oscillator is used. BTW the Fox oscillator types are drawing the most current. The Euroquartz are fine too and draw 20 mA less current which is quite a difference. I haven't tried Crystek clocks (yet).

Since I only had switchers at hand I bought a cheap Velleman K1823 power supply which I used with 1800/35 Pana FC, 2 x 10 uF BG STD, 10DQ11 diodes and ferrite coils to filter out any possible RF. It sounds better than any of the available switchers I tried and because of this I did not explore other linear power supplies. I am waiting for the first "shunt supply" post... ;)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
That should be 11DQ10 diodes... BTW this is the supply I used. There seem to exist 2 versions of them. I don't like the mounting holes that are very close to parts and tracks but with the right mounting hardware it won't be a problem. I have also used an audiophile regulator configured for 5V that can be found here:

http://circulator.bravehost.com/Gminireg.htm

Since I never got the chance to AB compare I can not give any comment. Focus was on the DAC itself as you can imagine. It is just to give you an idea which power supply you can use. A 5V 250 mA to 1 A power supply really is enough but a beefier power supply won't hurt. The choice is yours. I never used AC adapters or wall warts as I dislike them (got this question by mail).

Please keep in mind to first adjust (adjustable) regulators to 5V before you connect them to the DAC...certainly when you decide on ADP151 regs !!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_adapter

Attachments

• k1823.jpg
    k1823.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,004
Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Greetings,

got my mouser order but not the boards yet.

can somebody post pictures or connection diagram for balanced mode with 2 boards?

thanks.

The connection instructions are in the build guide which I mailed earlier. Let me know if you haven't received it. Regarding the boards they were either mailed on 5th or 9th of July. Did you receive an email with the shipment notification?

Thanks!
Subbu

I completed one board but the U3 is outputting only 2.3V.
all other regs are outputting about 3.3V
I'm using salas bib at 5v to power up the unit.

not getting any sound from my spdif output to dac board.

any type of help is welcome.

ps: using older bom with 220k r11. I wonder if that is the problem

Just finished my first one and it has been singing all night, I compare it with my oppo 83SE NuForce and W4S DAC2 and I like this dac better already. I will let it run in for another day or two. I am runing it from a cheap simple 317 reg only and in the mean time I will start on my super reg for this weekend.

Thank you Subbu and JP for this excellent DAC !

1d844791.jpg

260003a4.jpg

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Wait a minute, did you just say it sounds better than a oppo 83SE NuForce and a W4S DAC2 ?!? You made my day syklab ! I know it is very good but it is better not to exaggerate the quality of self made designs ;) Did you listen to 16 bit 44.1 kHz or high res material ?

What 4.7 nF caps did you use ? And what is the brand/type of the 317 supply ? It seems a good alternative for the people that are waiting for our power supply PCB.

Thanks for the comments and I am glad you're satisfied.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I completed one board but the U3 is outputting only 2.3V.
all other regs are outputting about 3.3V
I'm using salas bib at 5v to power up the unit.

not getting any sound from my spdif output to dac board.

any type of help is welcome.

ps: using older bom with 220k r11. I wonder if that is the problem

Not R11. Is either the ES9023 or the reg becoming hot ? Did you solder the ES9023 the wrong way around ? Are there small shorts between pins ? Check with a magnifying lamp.

No shorts ? Resolder the ES9023 and maybe replace the reg if it still does not function.

Last edited:
Wait a minute, did you just say it sounds better than a oppo 83SE NuForce and a W4S DAC2 ?!? You made my day syklab ! I know it is very good but it is better not to exaggerate the quality of self made designs ;)

What 4.7 nF caps did you use ? And what is the brand/type of the 317 supply ?

Thanks for the comments and I am glad you're satisfied.

Yes, I like the sound better than my 83SE Nuforce and the DAC2. I had been listening to the DAC2 for over 2 years already. It is just that good !

I choose to use the 4.7nF Wima Black box which I have a few laying around and with little twist and they fit well. As for the 317 reg,I just pick it up from a local electronic supply store and the brand had been masked out. I am going to build the golden reference super reg for the DAC( I think you also have one).

Thanks You.

P.S. When will the USB version be coming?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Ho ho wait a minute ! No promises are made if a combined USB/SPDIF version will be designed at all and if it will be a group buy. You can't imagine the time this project took (and still takes). We better wait till everybody got their boards and finish their DACs. I haven't received my final boards yet so your comments make me even more eager to get my hands on them. They could be here any day now but when i came home from work today they again hadn't arrived. Disappointment...

I am curious if the gold regulator will sound better in your setup. The 317 PCB doesn't look bad, what is the price they charge for it ?

Last edited:
Ho ho wait a minute ! No promises are made if a combined USB/SPDIF version will be designed at all and if it will be a group buy. You can't imagine the time this project took (and still takes). We better wait till everybody got their boards and finish their DACs. I haven't received my final boards yet so your comments make me even more eager to get my hands on them. They could be here any day now but when i came home from work today they again hadn't arrived. Disappointment...

I am curious if the gold regulator will sound better in your setup. The 317 PCB doesn't look bad, what is the price they charge for it ?

We will find out after this week end. I only paid less then 5USD for that 317 reg.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Thanks JP.

I am getting 3.3, 3.3, 2.6 on U3 and 3.7 from the osc reg. I rechecked every pin on the Wolfson and the ESS chip and no shorts were found.

The oscillator reg should be a 3.3 V type, The ES9023 should have 3.6 V so you swapped regs it seems. Don't know what a bib is but when you bypass the regs you will likely be in more trouble than you are now. Please find an experienced friend to assist you on this one. Your DAC seems fried. Static electricity from working without ground strap, soldered too hot/long. It could be anything.

BTW IMO with electronic devices like this you better first solder the regs and measure them if they work OK, then solder the chips. Just a tip.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi just some tips from a too precise guy:

- please remove the excessive solder off one of the WM8804 pins, on the picture it seems to have a near short (left from C7, pin 15).

- Also remove the flux debri around the ES9023 and the oscillator with cotton tabs and some isopropyl alcohol 99% or special PCB cleaner.

- Use 4 PCB standoffs to mount the PCB without putting stress on parts in a metal casing.

- R10 and C30 don't need to be soldered when using the DAC unbalanced

Otherwise a nice build. My compliments. You used lead free solder I think ?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.