ESS9018 - try new, try more... - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2011, 07:48 AM   #21
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
We consulted quite a lot with ESS on the subject.

I have tried all sorts of clock frequencies using excellent clocks and personally found anything > 100Mhz less desirable than either 80Mhz or 100Mhz.
I found that either synchronous clocking or clock frequencies that match the played samplerate are a huge improvement compared to 80 / 100MHz clocks that are not working optimal with any samplerate.
Clocks above 100MHz that match the played samplerate are not possible as they would need to be in the 180 - 200MHz area.

I now uses four alternative clocks setups - one clock for the 44.1 samplerate family, one clock for the 48 samplerate family, one clock generator that matches the incoming samplerate and a synchronous master clock input via the LVDS / HDMI (I2S/DSD) inputs.
As I have multiple inputs the used clock are selectable (and stored) pr. input.
Thus I use different clocking schemes for the SDTrans, the exaU2I, the SPDIF inputs and other I2S PCM/DSD sources.

Last edited by RayCtech; 28th September 2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 28th September 2011, 10:31 AM   #22
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCtech View Post
I found that either synchronous clocking or clock frequencies that match the played samplerate are a huge improvement compared to 80 / 100MHz clocks that are not working optimal with any samplerate.
Clocks above 100MHz that match the played samplerate are not possible as they would need to be in the 180 - 200MHz area.

I now uses four alternative clocks setups - one clock for the 44.1 samplerate family, one clock for the 48 samplerate family, one clock generator that matches the incoming samplerate and a synchronous master clock input via the LVDS / HDMI (I2S/DSD) inputs.
As I have multiple inputs the used clock are selectable (and stored) pr. input.
Thus I use different clocking schemes for the SDTrans, the exaU2I, the SPDIF inputs and other I2S PCM/DSD sources.
This is a very well approach! It is very logic too...
I have also thinking the same, that the clock have to match the sample rate, but if the chip producer him self was talking about such frequencies as 80, 100Mhz, then I just accepted the idea.
Can you precise what are the clocks frequencies you are using for the respective sample rates you mention?
It is now few weeks since I use the ESS9018 based DAC with 125Mhz clock, and I can say that I`m really aware about the improvement from using 100Mhz clock. I couldn't find yet the right answer/explanation to this (feel like) improvement...

I was thinking about this fact that ESS9018 can today accept clock frequencies as high as 125Mhz. In my opinion it is very possible that with an quite small improvement in chip intern technologies, one could rich that level of a 200Mhz clock frequency for this DAC chip.
It could be just a fantastic improvement for this flagship DAC chip only in this way...
So, it could be an suggestion to ESS people, for the new generation DAC family, if they will/can read this now...
Old 28th September 2011, 11:21 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

I can see (RayCtech approach) that possible clock frequencies which match f. ex. 44,1 Khz can be: 24,576, 98,304, 122,88 Mhz. Why not use an 122,88 Mhz oscillator?

It looks like intern PLL of ES9018 can well follow a quite large clock frequencies spectre around working/needed frequency... But is much better to meet the chip frequency expectations as accurate as possible...
Old 28th September 2011, 01:04 PM   #24
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
... I will do it for sure. BTW, I think are many ways to read the DPLL counter values from ES9018 register. What is in your opinion a simplest/effective/fastest one? ...
If you can program a little in C language, my first recommendation is to adopt Arduino. It's quite easy and less expensive. "Hifiduino" provided by "glt" of this forum may help you much.
Old 28th September 2011, 04:41 PM   #25

Quote:
I can see (RayCtech approach) that possible clock frequencies which match f. ex. 44,1 Khz can be: 24,576, 98,304, 122,88 Mhz. Why not use an 122,88 Mhz oscillator?

It looks like intern PLL of ES9018 can well follow a quite large clock frequencies spectre around working/needed frequency... But is much better to meet the chip frequency expectations as accurate as possible...
For the 44.1k family of samplerates:
22.5792 MHz
45.1584 MHz
90.3168 MHz
180.6336 MHz

For the 48k family of samplerates:
24.576 MHz
49.152 MHz
98.304 MHz
196.608 MHz
Old 28th September 2011, 04:46 PM   #26

Quote:
but if the chip producer him self was talking about such frequencies as 80, 100Mhz, then I just accepted the idea.
In this thread nobody have written that represents ESS.
Maybe you wrongly credits the Buffalo DAC people.....
Old 28th September 2011, 05:58 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
I think all that we communicated is the answer to our own questions when we asked and ESS responded.

Actually we asked the first time in the ES9008 thread and Dustin answered there.

You should ask them yourselves too if you like. They are quite friendly and ready to give advice.
Old 28th September 2011, 07:28 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
I think all that we communicated is the answer to our own questions when we asked and ESS responded.

Actually we asked the first time in the ES9008 thread and Dustin answered there.

You should ask them yourselves too if you like. They are quite friendly and ready to give advice.
They never answer me to that simple (email) request for the ES9018 datasheet. Request made after that datasheet was out of their secrecy policy...
Old 28th September 2011, 07:31 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCtech View Post
For the 44.1k family of samplerates:
22.5792 MHz
45.1584 MHz
90.3168 MHz
180.6336 MHz

For the 48k family of samplerates:
24.576 MHz
49.152 MHz
98.304 MHz
196.608 MHz
Many thanks for your correct informations. I see now that I was wrong...
Old 28th September 2011, 07:58 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
They never answer me to that simple (email) request for the ES9018 datasheet. Request made after that datasheet was out of their secrecy policy...
I have talked with them on the phone a few times. That is probably the easiet way to get a direct answer.

They work with the distributors to disseminate the datasheet.

Cheers!
Russ

Hide this!Advertise here!