Zen -> Cen -> Sen, evolution of a minimalistic IV Converter

Hello Patrick,

can I use two SO8 LSK389 instead of the four 2SK170?

Or is the matching of four SOT23 LSK170 cheaper then the matching of two SO8 LSK389?

I´ve started the layout for evaluation of the possible construction...

Regards
Jean-Paul

Attachments

• SEN_BRD_1.jpg
    SEN_BRD_1.jpg
    896.8 KB · Views: 444
Firstly I would advise against using SOT23 devices, unless you know how to connect them to a common heat sink.
They have less heat dissipation capability than TO92 without heat sinks.

In that sense LSK389 is better in two ways :
a) it is automatically a matched pair -- assuming you use one JFET in each SOIC8 for the top & the other for the bottom;
b) the SOIC8 package can dissipate more heat than 2x SOT23, and easier to attach to a heat sink.

But if I were to do it using currently available devices and commercial heat sinks, I would probably use 3x LSK389B in parallel, each having its own heat sink.
A TO-18 heats sink should fit, but you should try fist.

Wakefield USA Transistor Heatsink to 18 to 72 28 40 44 Board Level Power X1 | eBay

Patrick

> is there anywhere else where i can get the sinks if you don't take orders any more??

No.

> can't you just bootleg some heat sink?

Get a piece of Aluminium about 14mm x 7mm x 4mm.
Drill 2x 5mm holes close to each other.
Plug in the TO92's and fill the gap with silver epoxy.

Not as good as ours, but better than no thermal connection.
Can also use a suitable size DIP IC heat sink to replace the aluminium above.

Patrick

Hello Patrick,

I know that the supply needs to be floating. This will be a remark in the documentation. You can replace the AD844 but you must guarantee floating supply.

You don´t need to use the DIP8 adapter for this/your converter in new design, but it could be a very good replacement for existing designs.

I want to use this I/V converter in a design based on the DSC1 (last part missing is the JFET Sallen-Key filter: in doing, using SO8 LSK389).

I like your I/V converter, finally something that´s not directly from Mr. Pass. Like in music business, nothing really very exiting over the last years. I hate covered music.

Jean-Paul

> The 4x AVCT595 (5V supplied) + 32x 15k is a single rail DAC right (0,34 to 10,67mA), right?

Yes, but this will only give you a unipolar output of 0V to +5.34V at thr 500R Riv.
This is also the case in your schematics uing AD844.
To achieve a bipolar output (+/-2.67V), you need to have a current sink before the SEN after the 595's of 5.34mA.
Or you put the gates of the JFETs at Vdd/2 (2.5V).
See the implementation for ES9018.
And you need to check whether the 595s can source AND sink current.

> how can I achieve the high bias (24mA or more as you mentioned)?

JFETs are elf biased at their Idss.
3x LK389B hould give you a total Idss of 18~36mA, which should be OK when you include the current sink mentioned above,

Patrick