Zen -> Cen -> Sen, evolution of a minimalistic IV Converter

I almost finished a AD1865 balanced sen DAC. It's playing, just the last battery board is to be produced.
I noticed that the AD1865 does not really like the digital volume (not sure why, but I get some digital noise if I put the volume lower than 80%). So I need a balanced volume control.
The question is: what kind of pot can the sen drive ? does it make any harm to the circuit to have the output shorted, like with a balanced to SE converter ?

Thanks,

Davide

> what kind of pot can the sen drive ?

You can change output level by just changing R_iv.
So that is your volume control, no need for extra pots.

> does it make any harm to the circuit to have the output shorted,

No harm if you short to Gnd.

> like with a balanced to SE converter ?

Why would you want to do that and not just use one phase ?

Patrick

If you have a true balanced circuit, i would recommend you to not pull the signals to ground, but rather to a virtual ground (both phases negative side of shunt resistor connected together) gives alot less noise at least when i have tried. Regarding impedance, Patrick is probably the best person to answer.

Edit: a bit late :)

Yes, but not at the volume controller, bypass the volume with ground, and pull each phase to virtual ground instead, gives less noise at least it the two circuits i have tried it. Plus, it gives better matching volume controller (since the shunt resistor is always exactly the same on both phases, while the series can vary a little).

a25fa78c70df780988efdebc2da4d195.jpg

A picture: I got today shorter u.fl cables. Batteries and rectifiers are under the metal plate. It's the closest arrangement I could find to the two chassis configuration.

D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use a variable resistor as Riv, and reduce its value to lower volume.
I believe you can use a fixed resistor in parallel with a linear pot to get close to a log curve.
It is current mode, so long wires should be no issue.

For HF filtering, I would have used a cap in parallel with Riv.
But then it only works with fixed resistor value....
Don't like to use inductors unless no choice, especially ferrite ones.

Patrick

Dear FCCN75,

I checked and I have the four boards of the CEN/SEN evaluation kit if you are interested.
Their status is the following:
1) CEN unpopulated
2)CEN Fully populated with one pair per channel
3)SEN Populated with passive components
4)SEN Populated with passive components.

I can sell them to you if interested. I do not have the little heatsinks.

Happy New Year,

Davide

I am posting here as FCCN cannot receive private messages.