Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Is there any way to have Mcfifo send BCLK and LRCK to a digital source instead of MCLK?
The way the slave mode works on NanoPi is it expects to select the clock and divider via GPIO and then get the correct BCLK and LRCK streams as input in order to send the data stream out.

I know I can do the clock selection in slave mode on McFifo but would it work with only data input with no BCLK and LRCK?

I just want to report a long time problem of Ian's SPDIF interface board. It could be your problem, too. My copy has a faulty BNC connector from the very beginning. It's not easy to get SPDIF locked by DIR. I have to plug and unplug many times to get it locked. In addition, the locked signal will lose when any electronic devices are switched on & off near by. The following picture shows what I did to the BNC connector. I soldered the ground wire with the metal shield. They should be connected, but they are not in my case. If you have similar problem, you should measure the resistance between them as I got several mega ohm reading on my copy!

spdif_bnc.jpg

I just want to report a long time problem of Ian's SPDIF interface board. It could be your problem, too. My copy has a faulty BNC connector from the very beginning. It's not easy to get SPDIF locked by DIR. I have to plug and unplug many times to get it locked. In addition, the locked signal will lose when any electronic devices are switched on & off near by. The following picture shows what I did to the BNC connector. I soldered the ground wire with the metal shield. They should be connected, but they are not in my case. If you have similar problem, you should measure the resistance between them as I got several mega ohm reading on my copy!

spdif_bnc.jpg

Did you fixed this issue after you soldered the ground pin?

I'v never have this problem. Thank you for figuring it out.

I can send a new connector to you. Please let me know.

Regards,
Ian

Hi, canvas and Ian

Thank you for your information about SPDIF interface board.

I had the similar problem of SPDIF interface board. I will try to fix the problem in next january and will let you know the resullt.

Regards,
Atom

Hi Atom,

This can be verified by simply using a DMM. Please let us know your result. I was always suspecting the SPDIF source and trying to mod it without success. (Who would thought it would be the BNC?)

Poting

I need some advices, I am trying to build a streamer based on raspy with Ian boards
Pc (server jriver using dlna output) – raspy (moode audio ) i2s out – isolator pi – mcfifo – i2s over hdmi - i2s dac .
But now I want to add a dsp crossover for a 3 way loudspeaker.
I have red some posts where Ian suggest to put a dsp board before the mcfifo.
But I didn’t know witch kind of dsp boards: MInidigi ? others ?
And how can add the others channel using raspy ? there is multichannel software?
My goal will be to build a streamer with dsp capabilities using the mcfifo board nut I need your help
Thanks

For a three way speaker you would need to have 6 channels coming out of the DSP. So you need 6 channels of DAC downstream of mcFifo. The Raspberry Pi can provide 2 channels via i2s which should feed the isolator Pi than a minidsp minisharc with 2 channels. The minisharc can provide up to 8 channels. Feed the 6 to 8 channels into a mcFifo + clock board and then connect to a multichannel DAC or multiple stereo DACs. Preferably you would do this in one enclosure. Not too familiar with the i2s over HDMI with regards to capability, but I think it could be a weak link.

Hi. I have a problem with spdifboard.

When I use the spdif output it does not play music at 44khz, it only plays music at higher resolutions. All fifo and dualxo lights say that everything works fine. The light that is active on the 44khz clock is turned on. This problem happens in both output 1 and 2 of dualxo.

No problem with the spdif entry. Plays 44khz music without problems. There is also no problem on dualxo playing without spdifboard.

Someone comes up with what the problem is and how can I fix it?

Thank you very much

Hi. I have a problem with spdifboard.

When I use the spdif output it does not play music at 44khz, it only plays music at higher resolutions. All fifo and dualxo lights say that everything works fine. The light that is active on the 44khz clock is turned on. This problem happens in both output 1 and 2 of dualxo.

No problem with the spdif entry. Plays 44khz music without problems. There is also no problem on dualxo playing without spdifboard.

Someone comes up with what the problem is and how can I fix it?

Thank you very much

Hi Jiazz,

How about the spdif output when you play from spdif input at 44.1KHz?

What XO frequencies did you use on your Dual XO board?

Happy New Year!
Ian

Hi Jiazz,

How about the spdif output when you play from spdif input at 44.1KHz?

What XO frequencies did you use on your Dual XO board?

Happy New Year!
Ian

Hi Ian, happy new year!

The i2s output device connected to the fifo is raspberry pi, I can not connect input and output spdif at the same time. The spdif output of spdifboard is connected to the Ifi Idsd micro. in this case the music does not play in ifi idsd music at 44.1mhz of rapsberry pi. There is no problem with music at higher frequencies. Neither a problem with spdifboard input, the music that comes out by spdif from ifi idsd is played.

The crystals is the two that can be ordered as an option with dualxo and the frequency is 45.1584mhz and 49.1520mhz.

Best regards.

Hi Ian, happy new year!

The i2s output device connected to the fifo is raspberry pi, I can not connect input and output spdif at the same time. The spdif output of spdifboard is connected to the Ifi Idsd micro. in this case the music does not play in ifi idsd music at 44.1mhz of rapsberry pi. There is no problem with music at higher frequencies. Neither a problem with spdifboard input, the music that comes out by spdif from ifi idsd is played.

The crystals is the two that can be ordered as an option with dualxo and the frequency is 45.1584mhz and 49.1520mhz.

Best regards.

Hi Jjazz,

I think the problem is the XO frequencies. The maximal mclk frequency that DIX9211 can support is 512*Fs (see P2 of "S/PDIF Interface Board user guide"). So, you need to use XO of 22.5792/24.5760MHz to cover 44.1KHz- 192KHz spdif output. That's the requirement of DIF chip.

Regards,
Ian