Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

SC-CUT

Attachments

• IMG_8047.jpg
    IMG_8047.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 463
Has anyone integrated their McFIFO or FIFOPi with an AV setup? Wondering about the synchronization of audio to the video source.

I am planning to use a BridgePi + RecieverPi + FIFOPi to allow for USB input and toslink. Toslink may not sound the best, but my understanding is the stack can switch between the two inputs depending upon which one sees a signal.

Ian, I know this was trye for the RecieverPi, but will this also work when using BridgePi too?

That way I can stream music via usb using an external audio streamer and use toslink for any video I stream though my tv which has a toslink out.

I've tried syncing audio from my AppleTV using an ultrarendu streamer but it was never quite in sync and also a big pain to set up each time. Hopefully pulling from Toslink will make it easy to get sound from the a/v components.

@ Stew1234

That's very smart idea. It works! I call it RPi free system.

BridgePi + ReceiverPi + FifoPi would be a great combination. Toslink can sound very good under this configuration. It will switch to Toslink automatically if there is optical signal (I myself switch them by turn on/off my CD player).

Regards,
Ian

I can confirm this. In my personal "at home" DDDAC version I use the FiFoPi to take any I2S source and send it on to the DDDAC I2S input.

I made the sources selectable:

1. PI 3B with Ropieee (but you can do without of course ;-)
2. WaveIO for USB input
3. SPDIF

I tried some SPDIF to I2S converter and my old ears could not tell real difference between PI and waveIO when it went through the FiFoPi (as expected)

If the SPDIF - I2S output is connected directly to the DDDAC I can tell the difference - so the FiFoPi does what is has to do for me.

I use Accusilicon clocks by the way - till I have some serious listening test on a DDDAC from someone else with different (and better clocks) ;)

Thanks Ian, there is also a dedicated thread on this DAC concept.

It is based on parallel PCM1794 running in non digital filter mode.

The Arduino does the TVC volume control, shows the sample frequency plus all kind of other controlling of IR remote, front panel switches and controls inputs, system check etc.

Audio Creative also did some great work with your FiFoPi /audio-creative.nl projecten 2/

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2020
I haven't dabbled on the Video side yet, but considered [LiFePO4, RPi, Toslink HAT] -> [LifePO4, ReceiverPi, FiFoPI Q3, TransportPi OPT OUT] at one time.

I completely forgot about this possibility.

Since the source side is battery and optical, it should provide very good isolation for audio. RPi-Free?

For video, you can use LibreElec/Kodi with your optical HAT:

How To Configure JustBoom With LibreELEC • JustBoom

Kodi has audio offset capabilities.

I haven't experimented so don't know if there are sync issues or if it can be corrected at this time.

So Kodi ( [LiFePO4, RPi, Toslink HAT] ) -> Reclocked ( [LifePO4, ReceiverPi, FiFoPI Q3, TransportPi OPT OUT] ) == Sync issues?

Last edited:
Hey Ian,

seems you removed the connections for the small square layout XO clock versions ? Any rational for that?

Just want to make the grounding areas bigger and more continuous under the XO sockets. That's very important to lower the ground impedance for high frequency clock signals.

You can insert two round pins to the holes of the sockets if you really want to use those square XOs. I can give you some of the pins next time if you need.

Regards,
Ian