Drop in replacement for NE5532? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level
Home Forums Rules Articles The diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Community

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Old 16th April 2011, 06:31 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Drop in replacement for NE5532?

Can someone tell me what a better drop in replacement for the NE5532 might be? I got a DAC kit from China for really cheap and am putting it together. It uses the NE5532 opamp for output. It has the nice plug/receptacle on tue board that the NE5532 fits into so it could be easily pulled and switched. I am fairly new to DACs and opamps but have heard there are much better opamps than this one.
Thanks for your advice!
Jeff
Old 16th April 2011, 12:29 PM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Get it all working first and then I would suggest trying the OPA2604 and perhaps the LM4562.
OPA2604 is the most "coloured" sounding (in the nicest possible way) and the LM4562 probably the more clinical.
Old 16th April 2011, 04:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Mooly, that's exactly what I was hoping to find. I will by both and give them both a try. What's your thoughts on the NE5532 that it comes with?
Old 16th April 2011, 05:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Nothing wrong with those opamps either....
Old 16th April 2011, 05:47 PM   #5
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Thoughts... its very subjective really.

The OPA2064 is definitely more musical sounding in my experience compared to many others. It was designed (as of course were others) for audio and differs in that the distortion spectrum it produces has the even harmonics predominating. Which is what the ear likes.
I suspect that its this "coloured" sound that makes it so appealing... if thats what you like.

The NE5532 should and can sound very transparent... when used correctly and in the right applications, however, I read an interesting article on the 5532 and how its bjt input stage can give rise to odd distortion products when used at the output of DAC's due to the residual HF hash causing non linearities. That might go some way to explaining its "poor" reputation for sonics when most upgrades of the 5532 are in CD players etc.

My experience of the 5534 (the single version of the 5532) in my Micromega Stage 2 player was that even the old TL071 was better sonically.
After trying these different opamps I came to the conclusion the reputation of the 5534 and 5532 was justified (the poor sonics), however my view has changed a little over the years and I find when used as just a line amplifier etc they are very transparent.

So ultimately you are going to have to try for yourself. I mentioned the TL071, well the TL072 dual is a drop in replacement too for the 5532 and well worth a try. If you like it then I would definitely try the OPA2604.
Old 16th April 2011, 10:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

No way the TL072 is a serious audio OpAmp...
I have used OPA2604 afther a DAC and, true, it sounded better than regular jellybean OpAmps.
But LM4562 was even better - at least to my ears
Old 16th April 2011, 11:54 PM   #7
Bernie7 is offline Bernie7  Singapore
diyAudio Member

I recently did a series of mods to my diy Gigawork big dac and they all improved the sonics. The final mod was to swap NE5532 for LM4562 and this turns out to be the icing on the cake....no mincing words, there was an immediate improvement in all respects - dynamics, soundstaging, bass, detail, transparency. Wow moment. Not bad for a $4 part.
Old 17th April 2011, 12:04 AM   #8
Banned

You could try NatSemi's LME49860. Their audio opamps have extraordinary performance figures and are getting a lot of attention at the moment. I ordered a couple for a friend's headphone amp and he seems impressed, I haven't tried them myself, but I shall soon.

w
Old 17th April 2011, 12:23 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

What i found is a more or less drop in replacement for the NE5534 is the OPA227 and the somewhat faster OPA228. Both ment originally as a replacement for the OP27. They also have rather low current noise of 0.4pA/qHz. That is low for a BJT Opamp and the NE5534 was so far hard to beat in that issue. It makes it particular sutable for low noise use in somewhat higher impedance circuits like a phono MM inputs where usually Fet input Opamps are better because of lower current noise.
Old 17th April 2011, 12:58 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakibaki View Post
You could try NatSemi's LME49860. Their audio opamps have extraordinary performance figures and are getting a lot of attention at the moment. I ordered a couple for a friend's headphone amp and he seems impressed, I haven't tried them myself, but I shall soon.

w
LME49860 = LM4562 running at max. 44V power supply

Hide this!Advertise here!