DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

hi Erin and every one, I wonder if any of these stages this or this are suitable for this dac?

Both of those output stages are designed to be used with current output DAC chips like TDA1541. To use them you would have to remove the IV resistor on the boards. If you absolutely must use an SRPP output stage perhaps this cheaper one would be just as good?

My personal experience with sub miniature tubes is that they are very microphonic and are not worth the hassle. So I would avoid the 5744 output stage.

Monza tomorrow, i walked on that track several years ago. Im debating if i `need' to build an Aleph 2 this winter, any advice?
Thanks, enjoy the race.
Monza eh,the sheer speed would make it an awesome venue to see an F1 race in the flesh.I'm hoping for the red cars.:)

I have built the Zen and a number of preamps,but none of the Aleph's as of yet so can't offer any specific advice.Ofcourse the Pass area would have many a willing and experienced advisor.

Last edited:
thanks every one for the advice. I'm just thinking about the best output stage. op-amps are bad boys or good boys? LTs or OPAs or LMs?
But this dac is a voltage dac, no amplification is necessary. It needs filter and buffer, doesn't it? would some some of the grate guys though some light on the stage? Tube, trannys, JFT, op-amps? what's the best solution?

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Transformers work well, but as with everything the model/brand will dictate the sound, some are neutral some are warm, and some are not. Also quality plays a big part in the end result.
Tube stages are variable also in that the choice of tube and the implantation will dictate the end result too.

Personally I dislike Opamps, so for me transformers or a tube stage would be my picks.

Best will be different for everyone, personal preference plays a big part.

But that's just my view :)

Last edited:
I use Opamps on cork board if I run out of thumb tacks, they work really good :D

Well, it's a (almost) a free world... ;)

But if you haven't tried those alternatives, you will never know how well they work, no?

Sure, I do agree.

Did you tried OPA827? ;)

But there's one thing you should consider...

With transformers or tubes do you design a filter equivalent (same frequency and slope) of the one on datasheet?

I know for sure that the AK4393 LPF don't suits well AK4396, the difference is clearly audible...did you take it in account while designing the tube/transformer output stage?

thanks Erin so much for seeking this board. As I can see it has not balanced input and I just wonder what will happen with +/- (balanced?) output of AK4396?

If you did use that board, you just connect the + output to the tube board and leave the - output disconnected. Tubes have an input capacitance that you can use to your advantage as a natural low pass filter. You can adjust the frequency by adjusting the grid stopper resistor value.

Last edited:
Erin do you mean some thing like
lampizatorscheme.JPG
?
or is this completely another design?
what you guys thin about this concept here? it's the same dac anyway.

The analog audio filter on the op-amps needs attention to remove the sibilance.

Erin, I don't know why you keep on suggesting to do anything to the analog stage of this dac. The ak4396 drives with ease any domestic gear without any active stage at all. I tried quite a few active stages and believe me, only a very well build Tube stage sounds better than the direct out mod.
There is no need for a filter either.
What do you think is the reason why serious modders first get rid of any opamp in the signal path?
Less is more.

Klaus

Erin, I don't know why you keep on suggesting to do anything to the analog stage of this dac. The ak4396 drives with ease any domestic gear without any active stage at all. I tried quite a few active stages and believe me, only a very well build Tube stage sounds better than the direct out mod.
There is no need for a filter either.
What do you think is the reason why serious modders first get rid of any opamp in the signal path?
Less is more.

Klaus

Klaus, I use a tube output stage TDA1541 as my main DAC.

I realise that the AK4393 is a different beast to the Cirrus logic DAC chips, but when I tried connecting the Cirrus logic DAC directly to my pre-amp it sounded like it needed more current to drive my tube pre-amp. It was lacking bass and dynamics, and did sound to me like it needs a filter.

So, if you have tried CS DACs and the AK DAC and agree with me that CS needs more current drive, but AK is fine with current drive, then I will try the direct out mod. But somehow I doubt they will be different. Otherwise...... I absolutely always recommend some form of output stage to provide current drive. It gives a more lively sound. Yes there are some sonic advantages to the direct out mod, but also some downsides. To me the downside outweighs the advantages. YMMV.

Last edited:
.. I absolutely always recommend some form of output stage to provide current drive. It gives a more lively sound. Yes there are some sonic advantages to the direct out mod, but also some downsides. To me the downside outweighs the advantages.

You asked, so I have answered.:usd:
I concur and am liking the results with a discrete Class A op-amp buffering the output.