DAC 2496 (AK4393) DAC KIT With CS8416+AK4393+5532

Hi Bob,

Yes, you can use it. The problem is, that the thin wire is silver coated. So it is very difficult to solder with a "normal" soldering iron.

Better take RG59. It is thicker though, but inside the equipment it does not matter anyway.

Farnell sells it in meter quantities: Number: 1218576

It is very very expensive. Better take the RG59. RG179 is very good for high power transmitters, inside radio's etc... Because of the price and difficult to solder, not recommended for audio.

For PC to DAC I would use normal video cable, pre-made. Farnell number 3711869.

sure, if you have BNC on your transport, then that would be a good choice and eliminates the need for a crimping tool, crimped or welded connectors are going to be more consistent.

that being said, absolutely, get on with building before obsessing any more. but choosing BNC connection for spdif (if you must have spdif and not async USB->i2s) is the way to go.

BNC is the only SPDIF connector that is reliably 75ohms (as long as you dont choose 50ohms =)), if you buy another transport that has BNC, its likely to be 75ohms, RCA even if you get a decent RCA on the dac end thats close, chances are anything you connect it to will not have aid the same attention.

also for these types of connections, stick with pro video or industrial/scientific brands like you are; a cryo platinum RCA cable with virgin PTFE and silver shield is not going to beat a proper BNC, no matter what the advertising says

Last edited:
"obsessing" - yea, that's the word I was looking for :D

I'll just add that my motherboard pins and the two pads on the Mini DAC allow me to create as apposed to "obtain" a solution. If one was purchasing full modules (source + DAC) the choices would be more limited.

I'm off to the fab bench.:mallet: Thanks All.

P.S. I plan to enter the world of i2s after I gain more knowledge - so be forewarned.:gasp:

Last edited:
12 pounds for the BNC cable? (that is +/- 19 US$). It is an overkill. The cheaper version of the RCA pre-made cable Farnell 3711869, is good enough. Since the frequency of the S/PDIF signal does not go higher than 2-3 MHz....

But I agree, the best would be BNC, but then you need to make a BNC connector on your PC, and use preferably a coax cable from your mother board to the BNC. Then the same setup on your DAC. Internally it should be wired with a 75 ohm cable too (from the BNC jack to the DAC board.

Haik

Toslink for the win

Guys,

I was never able to achieve perfect sound with diy coaxial spdif solutions.
:rain:

But after switching to Toslink I've had no problems.
:umbrella:

Use quality receiver,like Toshiba TORX177 (max. Data rate 15 Mb / s)
It's just much so much more simple. No electricity = no noise from cable or connectors.

And I l:hbeat:ve the idea of turning photons to music.

Hi tamphist,

Don't want to go in circles, but I was under the impression using Toslink required an extra conversion step along the way. I Just looked at the datasheet for the TORX177 and it appears to be a socket only. Is there a requirement for a circuit between it and DAC board for it to operate? I already ordered the BNC sockets but I'm open to anything that improves/maintains the signal putity.:)

I Just looked at the datasheet for the TORX177 and it appears to be a socket only. Is there a requirement for a circuit between it and DAC board for it to operate?

It needs a regulator and a couple of passives.

Better thing, IMHO, is buying this module:

TOSLINK Optical Input to S/PDIF Module | eBay

I'm using it and I can't tell the difference Vs a very good quality coaxial cable.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0065.jpg
    DSC_0065.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 1,727
  • DSC_0066.jpg
    DSC_0066.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 1,724
As one of the guys said: If YOU can hear the difference between two systems (optical vs coax) then there IS a difference. If you cannot, then there is NO difference.

We can go deep into bits, rise times, jitter, delays, bandwidth and other technical stuff, but the most important is the sound if you can hear it.

Agreed, but don't forget whether the dishwasher or an air conditioner is running, if the last beverage was coffee or wine, and if you are mad at your spouse.:D:rolleyes:

For me, the beauty and attraction of this entire forum is the willingness of people to share their knowledge and experiences to enable all who choose, to be able to get hands-on (or is that ears-on) time with all the approaches - without the need for a second mortgage. Great fun with top shelf results.:soapbox:

I'm hooked and grateful to all. :cloud9: