DAC with Four PCM 1704, PMD100, CS8412 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2012, 07:37 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

1. check Figure 4, chose any high quality pulse transformer with appropriate "amplification"

2. read about transmission lines.... and importance of proper impedance matching. you'll figure-out that two sources connected in parallel on spdif line is really bad idea.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Interfacing_AES3_&_SPDIF.pdf (129.9 KB, 97 views)
Old 24th October 2012, 11:01 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to gabrielbecheanu Send a message via Yahoo to gabrielbecheanu
Extreme_Boky this DAC with i will receive it soon has this digital input:

- AES/EBU : discrete lvds translator - 192/24
- S/PDIF : discrete lvds translator - 192/24
- USB : asynchronous, FX2LP interface 192/24*
- I2S over HDMI (native LVDS or CMOS) 192/24
*drivers available for Win,Mac, Linux

I have two sources
1 Dune HD max with S/PDIF coaxial and optical outputs
2 CD player Onkyo with optical output

I want to connect those two to the DAC HD max via S/PDIF coaxial and my CD player via AES/EBU the sources i will change them from the DAC using a remote control.
I want to modify my CD player and put an XLR connector but i must convert S/PDIF to AES/EBU. Some people say that an 74H will do the job but i don`t have a diagram for that.
I don't want to use two sources in parallel on on S/PDIF input
Thanks for the pdf very useful
Best regards
Old 28th October 2012, 08:06 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to gabrielbecheanu Send a message via Yahoo to gabrielbecheanu
Hi
I found something
SESCOM SES-AES-EBU-2 75 Ohm BNC Female In to 110 Ohm Male XLR Out AES/EBU Impedance Transformer | Location Sound Corp.
Any one use something like this?
Best regards
Old 29th October 2012, 08:22 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

see attached, page 3

Boky
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Converting_between_AES_EBU_and_S_PDIF_interfaces.pdf (79.3 KB, 40 views)
Old 6th November 2012, 06:24 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

My DAC arrived today, I make some photos and I hope to use it as soon as possible, I will tray a few IV stage with transistors and Tubes, I like the way is made but the most interesting part in my opinion is the input stage of the DAC using a SPARTAN chip like in the new Accuphase DAC DC-901.

A few years ago I listen a WADIA 861, I was impress and start to read about it, this PCM 1704 was always in my mind but never thought that I will have a quad PCM 1704 DAC like in WADIA but with all this inputs and future for HD 24/192 files.
I will inform you guy about it, hope to be the best DAC for me and never think about for another upgrade.

My brother use a Buffalo DAC and I am very curious to make an A/B test.
Some say that the ESS SABRE 9018 is the best DAC at the moment, will see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP7108.JPG (813.8 KB, 494 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP7110.JPG (587.3 KB, 473 views)
Old 23rd December 2012, 04:26 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Hello, Gabriel Hello, sorry for my English, there is no possibility to buy less?
475 euro are so many.
currently use a converter commercial YBA WD 202 which mounts fully symmetrical design based on Texas Instruments' PCM1796 BB texas instrument Converter and Audio codec, and the sound is very nice ...
But I would like to sell it and buy:
* CHIP card DAC 1704, transformers and all the separate components, for aurtocostruirlo

is possible and where?

thanks
good continuation
Old 25th December 2012, 04:33 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Default PCM 1704

Hi
The DAC has this price because the convertors are expansive
Check at Farnell to see the price. Componenti elettronici | Parti elettroniche | Farnell Italia

A few days ago I start my DAC and I use a I/V from Twisted Pear The IVY Balanced Line Stage

But this is made for ESS not for PCM
The sound is good but the amplification factor is low, I will make soon the I/V stage by EUVL from this forum with JFET 2SK170. I have a feeling that will be the best I/V for PCM 1704 and I will try to make from balanced to SE whit a BCF from AIKIDO
I always want to have a DAC with 4xPCM1704 for HD 24/192 files so this is the only one.

Best regards and Marry Christmas
Old 26th December 2012, 05:49 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Hello Gabriel, I'm sorry for the delay of Merry Christmas ...
Coming to us:
Thanks for the link, as you may not know, I am a Newbie ... and I'm taking or better looking, more material available for the DIY (which, in fact I am not able, I apologize) ... Anyway I have a friend capable in DIY!
Question "?"
The DAC 1704, works in current or voltage?
because if it is live, it would be easier, leaving the full range of risk factors, using the power!

I know it would be a 'heresy, and I apologize for my question;
Ma would be silly to try, material Chinese / Korean cards already assembled,
the bay? Card already ready?
possibly chip which would be appropriate for the USB output?
a TE7022

Thanks Merry Christmas
Old 27th December 2012, 08:04 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Hi
I'm not an expert in digital but PCM1704 is a current DAC so if the I/V is good you will have o good sound. I use before a Chinese DAC with CS4398 but I can` t compare them, this DAC RD30 is something else much better.
Some time the money you pay shows you the quality of the products.
If you check on the internet who use this DAC before in their products you will see how much they cost, I don`t think you will find a CD under 3k USD
Old 28th December 2012, 02:57 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

IMO, you are absolutely wasting your PCM1704's if you use i/v, lpf or output stages that have loop feedback. I've done my Pioneer DV-AX10(differential 1704's, SM5847 DF) with passive resistor i/v, followed by discrete jfet voltage gain and current amp stages(ample current to directly drive inefficient Yamaha orthodynamic headphones beautifully) of my own design, and it is absolutely spectacular.

Hide this!Advertise here!