DAC with Four PCM 1704, PMD100, CS8412

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi
A few days ago a friend of mine bring me a DAC with four PCM1704, PMD100 HDCD decoder and CS8412 receiver to listen. This DAC was bought from Analog metric..
The DAC have one S/PDIF and one AES.EBU input,
I made two power transformers but the DAC doesn’t work.
Any one has experience with this DAC?
Any suggestion?
Best regards

Attachments

• IMGP1751.jpg
    IMGP1751.jpg
    525.5 KB · Views: 1,910
I made two power transformers but the DAC doesn’t work.
Hi, check schematics of PSU part for this DAC. I have another model of DAC from this firm and found that they made very strange shematics in PSU - they use the same type of regulators chip to obtain (-) and (+) voltage. Thus, (-) voltage they derived with regulator placed in path to common "earth" on PCB. You need separate second windings (not common earth connection between them) on transformers for EACH voltage on PCB connector, even with eaqual values. After your previous attempt and before new connection, you need check all diods in PSU - some of them already could be broken.

Thanks pionik
I just received the schematic diagram and i will check everything from power supply to output stage.
If some one made an improvement to this DAC i would like to know more about it.
I think that this DAC has more to show me after I will make him to work again
I have a DAC with CS4398 from Ebay, i will compare him with this four PCM1704 digital analog converter . I am so curios to see who will win the contest.
Best regards

its not such a strange way to use floating regulators, as long as they inform the customer. in fact myself and a friend are utilizing the same technique with our dac psu. we are doing it for reasons 2 fold. the very high quality linear tech lt1764a regulator does not have a negative pole counterpart of the same extreme high quality, low noise and current capability and we can buy in bulk all the same chip to use throughout all 10 regulated voltages, simplifying layout and allowing bulk pricing on the regs

Hi
Finally i manage to fix this DAC with the help of a friend of mine but i am disappointed. A lot of components for nothing.
Will be better to make another one with this good quality parts.
I have the service manual for Nakamichi Dragon and I intend to inspire from them to make another DAC with 4x pcm1704 with HDCD decoding and 192khz support.
Best regards

Hi
I made more tests to this DAC and none with good results
24\96 don`t play well ,after a few seconds he start to loose digital signal
and the output stage is awful. I will try another time with another output stage.
I found something interesting in Romania with 1704. It is made by a company from Iasi, i will talk with them to make some test if is possible.
Here is the product Audiobyte OEM
This is not advertising

The PMD100 will cripple the sound of any dac. I've done enough comparisons with conventional DF chips in otherwise identical dacs to say with conviction that the PMD100 is an AWFUL chip, sucking the life out of any dac's sound. Makes things sound totally two dimensional & artificial. PMD200 isn't as bad, but I generally regard "HDCD" on a dac unit or player as a warning label.

Thnaks for your information.
I made some research and i will try this RD 30 dac made by a Romanian Company.
I have a lot of HD music 24/192 and 24/96 and i tink more will come. Most of the DAC using this PCM 1704 are made specialy for 16/44khz clasic with DF1704 and DIR 9001 so 24/192 will never play.
Another thing that i want for my DAC is a system to display the sample rate that come in to the DAC.
I would like to know if some one use a four PCM 1704, wicth IV will be the best for this type of DAC, Tube IV or Transdformers or discrete stage or op amps?
Best regards

After many searches I decided to buy a DAC with 4xPCM1704, this is the DAC that I want to have it. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/audiobyte-diy/219782-rd30-quad-multibit-d-converter.html
Why? Because in my opinion is the only DAC with PCM1704 open for all HD files including 24/192 kHz.

Most of the DAC found on the internet are made especially for 44.1 kHz signal using a DIR 9001 and DF1704. This is the most popular design for CD sample rate but if you want a DAC with PCM1704 for HD samples this is a hard task.

For the beginning I want to buy only the DAC and the display system (I like to see the sample rate that feed the DAC). For the IV I will use tubes maybe an Aikido product Unbalancer

Some people say that an IV with output transformers will be nice also; I would like to try also a transistor IV like in Nakamichi Dragon DAC. If someone has some advice for me in this future project I would like to know it. Before to arrive this DAC to me I want to know as much as possible about the IV, to have more projects to chose.

As soon I receive it I will post some audio test results, at the moment I use the most popular DAC on this forum the early version of the CS4398 DAC without upsampling, an modified ONKYO DX6850 with TCXO clock and a DUNE HD Max for HD saples. 6C33C SE amplifier

My frustration is about the 24/192kHz sample rates. The DAC don`t play this type of signal. It plays well up to 24/96 kHz.

Best regards

Thanks grunter72
Because the DAC i chose is made in Romania for me is easier to communicate with them, so my first chose will be RD30, on the other hand I think that will come to me faster than other product from outside my country.

Before to decide which product to chose I made some research about the company that made them and many people say that the product made by this company are reliable and well done.

As soon I will get it I will inform how the product is and how will reproduce the music in my system.
Best regards

I/U conversion

Hi folks,

please read this basic article about I/U conversion prior to think about other DAC-chips.
The NITRO PROJECT a superior DAC
Please commence to this project after following the above link from mainpage.

Mostly bad sound derives from the fact, that all differential systems (OPA et al) at the I/U conversion treat even order harmonics as if they were common mode signals. This gives the well known "Solid State sound".

Best regards, Barbara

Hello guys
This week i will receive the new DAC but I have a small problem, maybe someone will help me with a good advice.
To this DAC I will connect a media player Dune HD Max via SPDIF connection but I want to use also my Onkyo DX 6850, This CD player has only toslink connection so I must put an XLR connector but I don`t know what is the best way to convert the SE SPDIF signal to the balanced AES/EBU signal.
I want to have both devices connected to the DAC, not to change the cable all the time between them.
Best regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.