VC23, my new PGA2310 project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For DIY or a kit of parts, SMD is much harder for most people than through hole, and the chip is about $40 whereas I pay about $5.50 for a 2310.

It looks like an excellent choice though.

I think SMD parts is better for signal, but I use hole-through parts for analog at last, will be easier for DIYer to improve. I think it will not be expensive for most people.;)

Forgive my ignorance, but is there any reason noone uses the 8-channel volume chip ? CS3308/18 : High-Performance 8-Channel Analog Volume Control

For surround applications (which I presume many need) this chip seem optimal and more cost effective than a modular PGA 2310 solution or am I missing something?

It's good to use the chip you metioned for multi_channel, at least it's cheaper. But it's possible to use this board for 8-channel using.

For DIY or a kit of parts, SMD is much harder for most people than through hole, and the chip is about $40 whereas I pay about $5.50 for a 2310.

It looks like an excellent choice though.

My very first soldering experience (other than cables) had a surface mount chip. I later soldered many amp32 from 41hz and it is actually easier and much faster than through hole once you get the hang of it. Everything nice going SMD it is hard finding the best parts through hole I have heard?

Don't you need 4 pcs 2310 for 8 channels including higher component count on the board? Total cost might be similar.

Also, Hifimediy delivers ready made kits and is also using many SMDs (diodes, TK2050, caps, resistors etc) so for him I would suspect it would be easier to do SMD than throughhole.

Hehe you always refer me to next project. I need to build 2 channel amp (preamp + amp maybe) that has enough power (min 160 W 4Ohm) and tone controls. (just in case) You can directly refer me to something if you have it, or I'll just find something suitable for T3 :( . I'd rather have the tone controls than not have them and need them, somthing with bypass function would rock... but I didn't find something that's good and bang for the buck as your products are. Anyway thank you for your time and great work!

Hello Hifimediy,

Let me summarize the features :
- volume control using pga2310 chip (-87dB to +40dB)
- 4-channels input selection
- 3*7seg display and rotary encoder on a separate board,
- rotary encoder used for volume control, input selector (short press), on-off (long press)
- remote control http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...-project-all-digital-ddx-amplifier-remote.jpg
- learnable remote
- extendable for multi-channel by adding one or more daughter boards
- display brigtness control (4 levels)
- ability to control on/off of external board
- on-board switch controls
sw1: on-auto save configuration when power off; off-default configuration
sw2: on-display always on; off-display blank after about 5sec no action
sw3: on-remote learning mode; off-normal mode
sw4: on-ZCEN enable; off-ZCEN disable.
- PCB size: 128*100mm
- PSU on board. Only needs transformer. +/-12VAC to +/-16VAC transfomer will be ok i presume.

I hope I catched them all :)

Now some more questions :

- on/off control of external components.
I would like to use this to trigger two relays : one to power a dac, the other to power the amp. Will the signal have enough current to trigger two relays ? what will the control be : +5V ? +12V ? other ?

- the board seems to have two opamps. What are these for ? are they on the signal path ?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.