New PCM1794A Kit – Balanced Mode Update – Good to Fantastic Sound!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
2mv

Hi Scott

Hope you are having a good weekend.

The DC offset is set by 2 (5K, I think) variable resistors on each board. So far (touch wood), the offset is close to 0 with a variation of about +/- 2mV but hovers around +/- 1mV most of the time. It doesn’t vary much though, even during use (on my set, at least) but that could be because my Fluke can't detect it! Its resolution is only up to 1 mV.. Ha ha.

I think if it stays within this range, it should be ok, right? Anyway the speakers and amps are still functioning, which is always a good sign.

Oh, OCL is also slightly louder. I guess this is because this is the path of least resistance.

Best wishes

TC
2mv is excellent. Most circuits should have no problem if it stays that low.

Hi TC,

yes, those are line transformers. I put the two Jensen JT-11P-1 to connect the balanced output with the SE input of my DNM pre-amp.

Daniel

The transformers should not affect the sound too much. There is always some loss, and it would be interesting to test further transformers but at the moment I am just happy.

Hi Daniel

Ah.... I am guessing here again but as you have a balanced set, the line TX are probably to step-down the output from the 3V to 1.5V, right? I actually tried using 3V output feeding my pre-amp's SE RCA and it sounded distorted probably from being overloaded!

Would the dynamic range be still at 133db? If it maxes out at this, then the TX is a wonderful addition as you get the best of both worlds!!!

Best wishes

TC

Ah.... I am guessing here again but as you have a balanced set, the line TX are probably to step-down the output from the 3V to 1.5V, right? I actually tried using 3V output feeding my pre-amp's SE RCA and it sounded distorted probably from being overloaded!

Would the dynamic range be still at 133db? If it maxes out at this, then the TX is a wonderful addition as you get the best of both worlds!!!
TC

Hi TC,

not really to step-down, the turns ratio of the TX is 1:1. I need the DAC's output galvanically separated since my preamp is single-ended, so I have different grounds between the source and the sink. With the setup I let the DAC operate into a virtual ground.

I have no problems with distortions but of course there are transformers with different turn ratios that can solve this issue.

To keep the dynamic range you should place the TX as close to the single-ended sink as possible, AFAIK.

(Note that I am not an expert in the field of transformers.)

Regards, Daniel

Here are a couple new 24/96 usb converters to compete with the HiFace.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/174953-new-24-96-usb-converters.html

Hi Scott

Looks interesting and this seller is in HK too. That should prove convenient for me
icon10.gif

Wow ...1 ppm clock! I think this should mate well with the 1794A DAC.

The seller also lists some sites where we can get high res 24*96 flies. In a capable system, the music should be great!

I will certainly take a good look at this.

Thanks.

Best wishes

TC

Hi T C,
Finally finished my DAC...now 'burning' it in...initial sound very promising...unfortunately, one of my amp just broke down..so now have to solve the amp before I can listen to DAC. Will try to roll the caps later.
Best Regards

Hi Victor

Congrats. When I finished mine, I got quite a buzz. Hey, can you please let me know the DCV from each of the balanced signal output to ground? (ie one probe to ground and the other to each output channel). If the reading is about 2 mvdc, you can also try OCL.

I am also using a different cap at locations C45/46. Try changing these too. They have a significant impact. I am using Silmic 2 Black/Gold version now. I bought these from Thailand, where I am visiting now ha ha. The music is more mellow and bass is deeper. You will have lots of fun cap rolling. I did.

What happened to the amp? I hope it was not something serious. Is it tube or SS?

Best wishes

TC

Hi Victor

That is an excellent reading. I think Spencer designed one hell of a DAC. The previous one I had was measuring over 20 mVdc! That being the case, OCL is something definitely worth exploring too.

However, you should try cap rolling. I had hours and hours of fun doing it.

For C45/46, I tried using 470uf Silmic II (Black/Gold) initially but that didn't work as it killed the highs! I then swapped to 100uf (Black/Gold) Silmic which seemed to do the trick.

I also tried changing the seven 47uf Silmic surrounding the 1794A to 100uf Silmic B/G too. That didn't work as well too. I guess it was too much of a good thing!

I think Spencer's board doesn't like bigger value caps ha ha. I am not surprised as these were probably determined by some elaborate computations.

Are you using 100uf for the BPs? I thought of trying two 47uf instead.

I hope you fix your amp soon. What make is it?

Best wishes

TC

Hi T C,

Yes, I agree that Spencer designed one hell of a DAC...maybe due to his love of electronics and music.

I tried googling around about the Black/Gold Silmic..but can't seem to find much info about them. What are diff between them and the Silmic caps supplied by Spencer?

Have you tried BG?..understand they need long burn-in period.

His board is actually quite fully of components...not much space left for bigger caps. I guess he put in lots of effort on the power supply section.

I am using 2 x 50v47uf for the BPs.

Oh..my Amp..ARC mono block.

Best Regards
Victor

Ha ha...

I think these are an endangered species. I actually got them from Thailand. However, their origin remains a mystery, at least to me. Anyway, they appear to be smoother and better in bass than the Gray/White ones; not as forward.

I have tried BG but according to my untrained ears, they are not as detailed, and their bass is a little boomy. Furthermore, they cost much more than the Silmic.

Woaaaa... ARC. They were (and probably still are) what aspiring audiophiles want to own in the 70's, me included.

Best wishes

TC

New Mods

Hi Victor

Sorry for not replying earlier as I was in Langkawi for some sun and R & R!
icon6.gif

Did you manage to get the Silmic 2 B/G caps?

Spencer put up some mods that should improve the noise floor. I think these are to do with improving grounding. He suggested removing the ferrite bead at L5, changing capacitor at C51 to 560uf and also two additional grounding (thick) wires.

Oh, he is also suggesting (I think) using one TX instead of two, which is what I have... ah well.... so much for the 'two is better than one' theory!!!

Anyway, I just tried some of these mods. I lifted one side of L5 and also added one of two ground wires – (at C45/C46). I haven't done the cap change yet as I need to find them from my stash and the other earth connection would require taking out the boards. I will do that when I find the caps.

Although I don't have the equipment to measure the changes in noise floor, I think the bass does sound a little (just a touch) more extended. Of course, this could also be attributed to my inner ear hairs having grown 0.001mm longer last week....

So, overall verdict, go for it!

No downside and it is fun…

Best wishes

TC

Hi TC,

So how was Langkawi ? hope you had a good time there. You were not affected by the haze?....we had a few hazy days (with PSI over a 100 points) last week.

No, have not got the Silmic B/G caps. I am still waiting for parts to repair my amp. I hope they come quickly and also I can repair it....so currently my DAC is on R & R...ha! ha!

Will have a look at the mods suggested by Spencer.

Best Regards
Victor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.