New PCM1794A Kit – Balanced Mode Update – Good to Fantastic Sound! - Page 19 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th May 2012, 11:28 AM   #181
spencer is offline spencer  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to spencer Send a message via Skype™ to spencer
The title of the article is : Analog Design in the 2010s
Old 10th May 2012, 08:06 AM   #182
UMarcus is offline UMarcus  Germany
diyAudio Member

@Spencer : Many thanks for pointing to usefull article.
Old 10th May 2012, 08:48 AM   #183
diyAudio Member

hello FDA-1 user!
I am looking for the best combi of cap´s in the output
the input-impendance of the most pre´s is 10-100K!?
What do you think about one silmic 100uf +10uf pio+0,01uf pio? It’s a compromise ?

I've seen some have used jensencaps?
pleace helb me to find a combination
pio´s in 10 uF i have here!
thanks for helbing
regards
florentino
Old 10th May 2012, 09:13 AM   #184
jambul is offline jambul  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Dear Spencer,

Have you ever try to use the external clock?

Thanks

denis
Old 16th May 2012, 04:39 PM   #185
TC Goh is offline TC Goh  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Default SRC AD 1896

Hi

Just got the AD1896 SRC board and related components from Spencer. I will be putting it together later and will see how this transforms the sound. It looks like it is not that difficult to put together.

I also got a I2S input board too! I now have 4 possible digital input for the DAC!!!

I will report back later....

Best wishes

TC
Old 18th May 2012, 03:01 AM   #186
diyAudio Member

Hi

This is a very subjective and interesting question. I guess your suggested combination will work for a particular music taste and the type of sound you like. I just finished the AD1896 ASRC board for the FDA-1B. This is turning out be a very interesting 'upgrade'. More later .... he he.

In my opinion, PIOs are more suited for places where you want to achieve a more laid back sound. I use PIOs (Jensens) in my tube per and power amps exclusively now but have tried them as bypass in the FDA-1.

In spite of their prohibitive costs, I don't like them in the DAC. They sound a little too laid back and less transparent for my taste.

Best of luck and happy modding .....

TC

Quote:
Originally Posted by florentino View Post
hello FDA-1 user!
I am looking for the best combi of cap´s in the output
the input-impendance of the most pre´s is 10-100K!?
What do you think about one silmic 100uf +10uf pio+0,01uf pio? It’s a compromise ?

I've seen some have used jensencaps?
pleace helb me to find a combination
pio´s in 10 uF i have here!
thanks for helbing
regards
florentino
Old 18th May 2012, 07:55 AM   #187
diyAudio Member

Default SRC Daughter Boards

Hi

I completed the build of the ASRC AD1896 daughter board. I opted for this SRC chip to begin with. Although Spencer supplies these DBs fully assembled, I opted to do the assembly myself. It was fun and took me about an hour of elbow grease.

I actually had the opportunity to compare both the AD1896 and the TI4192 chips as Spencer sent over a loaner too …. :-)

I was pleasantly surprised by these SRC daughter boards. Whilst the FDA-1B sounded very good, these two SRCs offered a degree of sound ‘tuning’.

The TI4192 SRC improves transparency and enlarges the soundstage. I felt I can definitely hear more from the CD. Those subtle transients, particularly at the higher end, became more apparent. It sounded best when operated at 48K. At 96K and 192K, the music sounded a little too transparent … too much of a good thing ….

The AD1896 SRC is very different. It sounds best operated at 96K. It doesn’t have the transparency of the TI4192 but excels in providing a much richer and involving soundstage. The music seemed to surround me. I attended 2 life performances during a recent trip to Austria and the AD1896 provided a musical experience closer to what I heard. Remarkable!

Of course, these are all subjective listening experiences. I feel that the inclusion of these boards enables the DAC to be ‘tuned’ to a particular musical taste and environment, either enhancing or negating qualities from the rest of the audio chain. To put it in another way, it is like having 2 additional DACs ..

I am still reeling from last night’s marathon listening session and my dog must think I can only afford to buy one CD!!! Ha ha…

In my opinion, the AD 1896 @ 96K is the way to go….

This is one damn cool DAC that just got cooler!!!

Best wishes

TC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0215.jpg (431.1 KB, 338 views)
Old 18th May 2012, 07:56 AM   #188
akira is offline akira  France
diyAudio Member

How can that be possible ?
A dac is supposed to transform the digital encryption of the music into its analogic version ... with as much fidelity as possible.
How can high fidelity (are we talking about HIFI) depend on the type of music ?? Either you transform the digital to analog with high precision or you don't ... but how can this depend on the king of music ??

If you like one better over the other for a particular music type, it is not music reproduction (HIFI) anymore but sound engeneering.
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:22 AM   #189
UMarcus is offline UMarcus  Germany
diyAudio Member

@TC Goh : Many thanks for report your findings. Very interesting conclusion. It seems you prefer to use the AD1896 at least ? Or none SRC ?

Regards
Marcus

Old 22nd May 2012, 12:44 PM   #190
diyAudio Member

Marcus

After a few more days of listening, yes, I prefer the DAC with the AD1896 @ 96K, TI4192 @ 48K and NOS in this order. I feel the AD SRC beings the musicality and warm to a different level. Although the SRC was a little $$$, I think it was well worth it. I can still remember those days where I would have spent even more on a power cord where the difference in sound was hardly discernible, if any!

Spencer got me playing with diodes now. I have replace the supplied glass ones with the SBYV27-200. This seems promising as it improves the mids. I listen mainly to vocals so this change seems right up my alley ;-).

All the very best

TC

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMarcus View Post
@TC Goh : Many thanks for report your findings. Very interesting conclusion. It seems you prefer to use the AD1896 at least ? Or none SRC ?

Regards
Marcus

Hide this!Advertise here!