A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac - Page 116 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2012, 06:44 PM   #1151
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

how bizarre, it costs more to get more? can you not make a second small order? =) joking, but thats odd.
Old 24th September 2012, 06:50 PM   #1152
opc is online now opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yeah... it didn't make much sense to me either, and I had to call them to get them to explain it. It has to do with how much surface area they can do in a batch, and if you exceed that, you have to make your order a custom spec which has a tooling fee, and takes 4 weeks to get the same pricing as the 3 day turn on the standard spec order.

I've never run into this problem before because I've never ordered so many large boards.

Either way, it is what it is, and I don't think it will be that big a deal in the end. There should be enough to go around, and this way we get the boards a little faster.

Cheers,
Owen
Old 24th September 2012, 11:01 PM   #1153
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post

haha yep thats a plus in my book too

no worries on the rest, yeah I thought about it, i've still got the rig from last time and it worked out pretty well in the end after doing the research and building it, but I just cant justify taking that time, it would take me longer than your estimate since i'm sure you can attach a number of probes at once and maybe get it done quickly enough that tempco drift isnt as much an issue. if I used Zfoils for all the resistors in the test rig it would only leave the fet itself affected. if I were doing it again I would look at heating the heatsink actively so it could be kept at the same temp whatever time of day it was instead of waiting for it to heat up to a certain temp and stopping when it drifted too much.

that being said my rig was testing to a silly amount of zeros and drift probably wasnt as much an issue as it appeared.

will do

hahas yeah sure, no worries I have enough

done

(thermal interface material) its not a tweak for audio quality, just longevity, much better heat transfer to the heatsink than silpads

keratherm Red TIM orders

bigpandahk
kasey

hey we could do Zfoil resistors again if people are keen, easiest would be to send out to the regional distributors, i'd have to order pretty son though, as theyre made to order
Hi qusp!
Glad to get keratherm pads suited for this Pass project.
Could I opt for the needed Zfoils as well?
If you know a way to get the needed fets matched, please give me a hint and do I understand there is a thought about a parts GB?
Cheers,
Ed

Last edited by ed linssen; 24th September 2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 24th September 2012, 11:04 PM   #1154
diyAudio Member

Would these heatsinks be sufficient for NTD1?

FS: Aluminium heat sinks

Alu @ 250mm x 100mm x 40mm, and weigh approx. 1.2kg each.

No meaningful thermal resistance specified but manufacturer's page here - European Extrusion Profiles

If these are in suitable and people are interested we could potentially organise to get a few off him and sent to us in Brisbane and we'll distribute from here combined with whatever else we're posting out (pcbs, keratherm, zfoils etc).

EDIT:

I just had a search for the conrad heatsinks used by some in the previous run of these boards, they were a bit smaller than this I think? Roughly they were 120x150mm

The big if is on dissipation figures but if they are ok this might give some extra space for other shunt regs on the same heatsink potentially

Last edited by hochopeper; 24th September 2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 25th September 2012, 01:23 AM   #1155
diyAudio Member

Pre-empting you, if you want something from conrad then just ring them.
Emails have a probability of 1 of not getting answered.
Old 25th September 2012, 07:43 PM   #1156
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
how bizarre, it costs more to get more? can you not make a second small order? =) joking, but thats odd.
Qusp,

I've got pricing for TZ220Z 400R00 0.1% and TZ220S 200R00 0.1% with price break.

Did you get pricing on your side?

Just want to make sure we get the best pricing possible.

Do you need any help? We could do the same as for the boards. Get one person in Australia, Europe and USA to ship them out.

Thanks
Do
Old 25th September 2012, 08:45 PM   #1157
diyAudio Member

it doesnt make any sense to create another network for resistors when there is other stuff already going out. they will either go out to the regional PCB distributors along with keratherm, or direct. postage for a few resistors isnt a big deal and I doubt the GB for them will end up very large due to price. so it might be more trouble than its worth doing the regional thing. i'm not sure if the price list I have is OEM as i've only had dealings with them with my business, so i'de rather not post publicly, i've sent you a PM
Old 25th September 2012, 08:51 PM   #1158
diyAudio Member

also I use TX220S for the 200 (actually 220R) because thats what I had in my parts bin. just use the Z version for both if ordering new
Old 26th September 2012, 01:04 AM   #1159
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
also I use TX220S for the 200 (actually 220R) because thats what I had in my parts bin. just use the Z version for both if ordering new
Hey Qusp,

I'll let you organize it since I just got into a new project and just finished ordering my stuff.

I'll take the resistors and the Keratherm Red pads.

Ciao!
Do
Old 26th September 2012, 08:56 AM   #1160
diyAudio Member

Jeremy, you've got a PM

Hide this!Advertise here!