A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac - Page 103 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2012, 09:41 PM   #1021
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
I dont believe you have it in every home, maybe every building; at least that didnt seem to be the conclusion that was come to during a recent conversation on this topic, I believe you have 240vac in much the same way that we have 480vac, you have 120 from one phase to ground, or 240 across live to live. same way we have 480 live to live as well as full blown 3 phase in the home in rural areas.
That is exactly what we have, 120V from live and neutral and 240 from live to live. We don't have 480.

But I wouldn't be installing 240 jacks since it wouldn't be practical at all.

Ciao!
Do
Old 21st May 2012, 12:35 AM   #1022
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
Side heatsink

should be tapped for 2 x D1 minimum and maybe a couple of alternative sets to match the spacing on the Tea-bag salas PCBs.

Do we really expect anyone to be crazy enough to go for MORE than 2 NTD1s in a single system?

I know what you meant though, 2 x D1 plus some other shunt supplies all mounted to the same sink (a ripper idea) but you could read the part I quoted two ways.

I know we're not getting bogged down with details now but I think we should keep machining to a minimum on stuff like the rear panel where everyone will vary, it's an additional cost that won't ever be able to suit everyone. I think we should do an IEC socket though since with panels used to separate portions of the enclosure there isn't many layout variations on where people would like the AC to enter the enclosure.

Last edited by hochopeper; 21st May 2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 21st May 2012, 12:42 AM   #1023
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper View Post
Do we really expect anyone to be crazy enough to go for MORE than 2 NTD1s in a single system?

I know what you meant though, 2 x D1 plus some other shunt supplies all mounted to the same sink (a ripper idea) but you could read the part I quoted two ways.
I would most probably mount the Salas shunt reg to the floor or other case walls if there's not enough room on the sink and since there are way too many PSUs variations (Salas, o11, Hynes, etc...), I wouldn't bother creating pilot holes for them, just the two D1 on the sink...
Old 21st May 2012, 05:50 AM   #1024
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

I actually could have been clearer again. what I actually mean is, 2 x D1 OR 1 x D1 plus use optional positions under one of those D1 profiles for salas regs for those not doing dual dacs; so there is a nice setup for both dual and single users catered for. The heatsink is almost exactly double the size of the conrad one I use for one dac, but maybe a tiny bit shorter fin length, given mine is facing down and not external/ventilated, I predict we'll be able to get slightly more out of this one vs its length. I certainly would not attempt to power anything crucial AS WELL AS 2 x D1 without doing it without the salas regs on there first to check dissipation.

this is how I described it first when I first mentioned the case, just shortened it for the above post and it seems hochopeper is easily confused

I think it would be cleaner to use the floor nearby also and thats what I planned or using additional sinks to allow playing with the layout a bit initially, if you are doing dual, actually I think this layout is going to rock! because the dacs/ clocks etc will sit out and overhang the regs, so the connection should be dead short and neat.

and what i'm certainly NOT suggesting is actually powering the 2 x D1 IVs with salas regs on the same sink. it may just work to power one if you are that keen, but most people that have tried have gone back to using onboard afaik there are other areas to gain with more IMO

Last edited by qusp; 21st May 2012 at 06:07 AM.
Old 21st May 2012, 06:38 AM   #1025
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Qusp, have you tried the o11 with the D1? I know you have o11 so I was wondering if you had tried it.

On my side, I have replaced all my Trident with Hynes regs, including AVCC and it was much needed... Is the D1 regs actually pre-regs or they're meant to replace the onboard completely?
Old 21st May 2012, 06:44 AM   #1026
diyAudio Member

Owen: I do hope you can enlarge the mounting holes at the corners of the D1 so that M4 can be used, to allow a firmer clamping force to cater for being vertical and having weight pulling it out and down. we also do not know the grade of alloy used for the sink, though I will ask
Old 21st May 2012, 06:55 AM   #1027
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnocchio View Post
Qusp, have you tried the o11 with the D1? I know you have o11 so I was wondering if you had tried it.

On my side, I have replaced all my Trident with Hynes regs, including AVCC and it was much needed... Is the D1 regs actually pre-regs or they're meant to replace the onboard completely?
You would need 2 x o22 to power the D1 IV only, the o11 is a single polarity, single regulator with several outputs from the same voltage source, I have several o22 as well, but no I didnt bother as its not built for +/-45vdc. I intended to modify some, but didnt get around to it.

confused by your question a little, how could a single 3 term reg replace 7+ regulators of different voltages? yes prereg. I dont actually use it but thats what its for. rem,ember i'm not using the buff in any permenant capacity with tyhe D1, I use ackodac akd12p and this has always had dedicated regs for all voltages as standard.

I use a mix of various regulators and LiFePO4 for the dac itself, but for the IV I just use the standard NTD1 psu, but snapped off and mounted to the floor in a more convenient placement for my layout. I tried salas regs, but for me the PITA and extra heat was not worth the trouble, there are bigger fish to fry, so I went back to stock to allow more tweaking room for the dac, clocks, USB-i2s etc and I still ran out of room; so here I am

Last edited by qusp; 21st May 2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 21st May 2012, 02:12 PM   #1028
diyAudio Member

I like the chassis and display but without any information on the TPA AC2, it is very difficult to agree on the front and back panel layout (back panel will be easier) for the GB. Or may be adopt your MPU design (just an idea, I know you are very busy).
Old 21st May 2012, 02:31 PM   #1029
diyAudio Member

I'm pretty certain that the TPA AC2 has been a 'planned' project for quite some time now, I wouldn't be hanging your DAC project on that being released in time for you.

That said if you use an arduino and the hifiduino code for ESS dacs with the screen that qusp linked you should be rocking and able to work to your own timeline. Here is a blog post of it being used with the hifiduino and BII (I think its a BII in the pics right?)

IMO the VFD is a great choice for anyone who wants a local display on the front panel. The only reason for not including it would be if there were people not wanting any display on the front panel. I wonder if we can have an option from siliconray on the enclosures where some are with standard front panel and some are with machined front panel? Just a thought since chosing to not run it through standard machining vs GB machining with whatever customisation is agreed as suiting the majority shouldn't be a significant inconvenience. Just a thought and perhaps something that we could ask about.
Old 21st May 2012, 03:07 PM   #1030
diyAudio Member

I missed the edit window but did a quick check of a 20x4 lcd (HD44780 compatible) datasheet the dimensions of the display portion of the screen are within 0.5mm of those on datasheet for the VFD. So even if the VFD isn't your style there are 20x4 LCDs that would suit the same size front panel cutout.

LCD datasheet - http://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/TC2004A-01.pdf
VFD dimensions - LCD replacement Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD) module: U Version

Hide this!Advertise here!