Anybody using the new ESS Vout DAC (ES9022)? - Page 51 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2013, 03:16 PM   #501
diyAudio Member

I suppose an online repository (@xen-audio.com) featuring the latest version of every relevant document makes more sense.
Don't think you'll avoid the "which version/where can I find it/etc" questions though!
But at least you'll be able to copy-paste the answer, have it as a forum signature or something.
Old 14th January 2013, 04:18 PM   #502
diyAudio Member

Hello syklab,

> Thanks for the PPS cap
Glad that you can use my oversized 0805 PPS on 0603 pads to have result improved.

Cheers,
WK
Old 15th January 2013, 07:40 AM   #503
diyAudio Member

0805 oversized
Old 15th January 2013, 08:48 AM   #504
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

Of course.
We use 0402 all the time.

Patrick
Old 23rd January 2013, 07:24 PM   #505
diyAudio Member

Mine's ready. I'll clean the board but wait till tomorrow to double-check and wire everything up.
Too tired right now from work etc. Assembly itself was dead easy. ~30 minutes, which includes delay of changing my mind half-way and replacing the 10k R1 to the V3.1 value.

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1230008.JPG (125.3 KB, 1300 views)
Old 6th February 2013, 03:40 PM   #506
diyAudio Member

Default Another PCB for ES9023 + JG Filter Buffer

Dear all,

there are already very nice versions of ES9023 and JG filter buffer PCBs, however I wanted to combine both and do my own (its called DIYaudio, isn't it?). Also the combination of I2S input and JG filter buffer is currently not available (Acko has one but JG Buffer is stacked).

My design is definitely inspired by existing schematics/boards, but also by playing around with different applications of ES9023 using a SOP/DIP adapter (it's really easy to get already quite good results that way so I can only second EUVLs recommendation: just do it, it's fun ).

I am about to finalize the board (some fine tuning here and there) and will order protos soon. Any comments are welcome, especially regarding the routing of ground. I used a solid groundplane without any interrupt, however it's not separated into analog ground and digital ground and currently I don't have ground planes on top layer.

Best regards, Daniel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ES9023 + JG Filter Buffer Schematic.jpg (100.3 KB, 583 views)
File Type: jpg ES9023 + JG Filter Buffer Top Layer.jpg (482.9 KB, 563 views)
File Type: jpg ES9023 + JG Filter Buffer Bottom Layer.jpg (147.0 KB, 540 views)
File Type: jpg ES9023 + JG Filter Buffer 3D.JPG (84.0 KB, 201 views)
Old 6th February 2013, 03:58 PM   #507
diyAudio Member

very nice work!
what do you think, will be some spare boards available for you to sell?
if yes, can you appreciate the cost?
I would be quite curious to try out your layout, I never heard ES9023 with that buffer on it's output
Old 6th February 2013, 04:24 PM   #508
massimo is offline massimo  Italy
diyAudio Member

Nice work Daniel.
I would rather use some Wima FKP2 caps for C3 and C4.
Did you consider also ADP150 or 151 instead of LT1761? Less noise and less expensive too!
Old 6th February 2013, 06:40 PM   #509
diyAudio Member

Thanks

When I order some boards I would be pleased to make some available for "beta test" (no guarantee of beeing free from any error ). I am also generally open for a later group buy if there is interest, however first I would want to talk to Joachim Gerhard and Jean Paul/Subbu since I don't want to get in competition in any way. Should be just an alternative for those who want to have (only) I2S in + JG filter buffer.

I used Panasonic ECHU PPS Film caps for C3 and C4 with very good results (same for C43 and C53 as per the JG filter buffer group buy BOM). However maybe FKP will additionally fit as an option.

ADP-150 really have impressive specs noise wise (more than 6dB less than LT1761) but they are not available as 3.6V version. Feeding the ES9023 with 3.6V gave slightly better results in my tests and others reported the same. But main reason was easy sourcing of LT1761 which is available at Reichelt Wanted to source all parts at a maximum of two suppliers (Mouser, Reichelt) to save shipping cost. Complete BOM isn't that much. Maybe another supplier could deliver everything?

Best regards, Daniel
Old 6th February 2013, 07:15 PM   #510
massimo is offline massimo  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curryman View Post
However maybe FKP will additionally fit as an option.
Add 4 pads & holes then
I would also use an indipendent reg for the flip-flops
(and mod some tracks to be at 45 )
Digikey is selling Analog Device as long as I know, but I understand your point of view (they charge 18€ for small orders) They also sell susumu resistors and pana pps caps cheaper than mouser

Last edited by massimo; 6th February 2013 at 07:19 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!