Anybody using the new ESS Vout DAC (ES9022)? - Page 18 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2011, 05:42 PM   #171
diyAudio Member

TheShaman,

It depends on how you feel about 0805 and sot23-5 sized SMT components?

I only made a few PCBs. I also made a couple of minor recto-cranial mistakes in the power supply section so the current PCB requires some cuts and jumps. Not bad for Rev A. The DAC is in pretty good shape though aside from some additions for the 9023.

There is still quite a bit of testing I want to do yet. If I make the corrections to the power supply and the additions necessary for the 9023 in a revisied layout, I'll consider it.

One other correction - I called it a Bessel low pass filter in the original post with the picture. It is actually sallen-key LPF circuit topology with some modifications of the values. It was too late after a long day I suppose...

Dave
Old 20th June 2011, 05:54 PM   #172
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

> It depends on how you feel about 0805 and sot23-5 sized SMT components?

In my WM8804 modules, there are 2 0402 MLCC's, hand soldered right at the pins of the 8804.

> It is actually sallen-key LPF circuit

You can configure a Sallen Key to a Bessel or Butterworth or else by choosing the right values for R's and C's.

Patrick
Old 20th June 2011, 05:56 PM   #173
diyAudio Member

I actually prefer tiny SMTs to through-hole components (I'm bored of bending/snipping away component legs).
Anyway, I'm only 30 years old and I think I should take advantage of my good eyesight while it lasts.

Please do keep us posted!
Old 20th June 2011, 06:19 PM   #174
diyAudio Member

Hi Patrick,

"In my WM8804 modules, there are 2 0402 MLCC's, hand soldered right at the pins of the 8804."

I refer to 0402 components as salt and pepper because they are just about the size of course ground seasoning! Try hand building a processor prototype with five or six hundred of them... I think it was management's way of making sure I knew what I was getting everybody into.

"You can configure a Sallen Key to a Bessel or Butterworth or else by choosing the right values for R's and C's"

Between the circuit shelving and the final shape it really doesnt exactly fit any of them... BTW I have a really cool fix for the shelving if you are interested. I did not use it here as I did not see the need. I have other plans for it...

TheShawman,

"I'm only 30 years old and I think I should take advantage of my good eyesight while it lasts."

Definitely, use it while you can. It only gets tougher to see!

I'll let you know.

Dave

Last edited by fitzfish; 20th June 2011 at 06:20 PM. Reason: spacing
Old 20th June 2011, 06:39 PM   #175
diyAudio Member

Default MAX4410 Headphone Amp for ES9022/23

Hello,

I made a ES9022/23 prototype with WM8804 receiver a while ago. I posted the pictures of the PCB in the forum earlier.

I wanted to have a simple headphone amp for it and decided to give a try with MAX4410, mainly because it can run on +3.3v which kind of simplified the power requirements.

Its a small board of size 1.4 x 1.4 inches. I used the reference schematic from MAX4410 datasheet. Its all SMT except for the input capacitors which I did not have any SMTs on hand so went with through the hole parts.

C1x and C3x caps have three 0805 pads to play with different cap values, R1-R4 are 10K, C2x are for power supply filters, C4-C5 are input caps.

Its a single sided board and I etched it at home. I added a ALPS pot between the output of ES9022 and the headphone amp inputs for volume control. Listening to it right now as I am posting this message. Sounds pretty good driving my Audio Technica M50s.

Here is the pic of the PCB.

__________________________________________________ ________
Subbu
Attached Images
File Type: png MAX4410.png (17.5 KB, 1040 views)
Old 23rd June 2011, 06:36 PM   #176
diyAudio Member

For those interested, I want to share some insight and suggested improvements to the 9022/23 circuit that might be beneficial to others building these.

There is some residual ~1.5 MHz noise from the built in negative supply generator. It is on the order of 125uV in my layout. None of this noise shows up on the output but it can back radiate into other circuits on board so it is a good idea to do the following:

*Power the 9022/23 with its own supply.

*Power the 9022/23 clock oscillator with its own supply, or at least a supply separate from the 9023.

*Connect the XO through a trace directly to the 9023. Don't use a series termination resistor (The 9023 likes a fast rise time in my layout).

*Power the SPDIF receiver/I2S source with its own supply, or at least a supply separate from the 9023.

*Add low impedance bypass caps as close as possible (if not directly across) the AVCC, VREG, and NEG pins to ground.

Patrick suggested additional bulk capacitance on the supplies to the 9023. This is a very good addition. I added it only to the VREG supply as it made the residual noise slightly worse when added to the AVCC and NEG pins. My just be my layout so try it and see what you like.

*Add good polymer bulk capacitance to the VREG near the pin, 100uF to 560uF range is worth trying.

Output noise at zero volts is ~15uV on each channel and the distortion at 1V RMS is <0.005%. Not bad for a 2 dollar chip and around a hundred dollars worth of parts... I added $75 or so for the low noise line supplies and $60 for an enclosure. You could do it with batteries and a plank of wood.

Dave

Last edited by fitzfish; 23rd June 2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: speeling
Old 23rd June 2011, 07:21 PM   #177
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

Most if not all of the above you'd see already in my modules.

I knew about the 1.5MHz before buying the chip.
That's why you'd see a 0603 MLCC directly on the 9022 pins.
(Only possible by manual soldering.)

Patrick
Old 23rd June 2011, 08:14 PM   #178
diyAudio Member

Hi Patrick,

Good to know the issues and resolutions are well defined, even if we have to dig for them...

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Dave
Old 23rd June 2011, 11:18 PM   #179
massimo is offline massimo  Italy
diyAudio Member

Interesting tips, thank you for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzfish View Post
*Add low impedance bypass caps as close as possible (if not directly across) the AVCC, VREG, and NEG pins to ground.
Suggested parts and value for AVCC & NEG pins to gnd caps?
Old 24th June 2011, 05:23 AM   #180
diyAudio Member

Massimo,

Here is an old post from Patrick with some details of his implementation. The 0603 MLCC cap he suggested a few posts above is a 2.2uF X7R. Looks like the NEG cap is directy on top of the legs of the 9022. The AVCC cap is further away by physical necessity.

I am using film caps and still experimenting to see if they can be made to work reasonably well...

Dave

Hide this!Advertise here!