AK4396: best solution for output stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At the amp

First of all you need to re locate the volume control to the amp with the minimum of cable between it and the first active stage. Beyond that I don't know where your mismatch lies.
hi Scot,
thanks for your contributions. i run a heavy modded AK4396 kit from eBay with ne5532 as output stage. the signal goes RCA via a stepped 20k shunt attenuator to the 100k-imp SS power amp.

i did this simple test using 2uf 400v Audycap mpk. the 3d was excellent to be on the pair Aureus! but no dynamic and bass!

is there any better "direct out" configuration that you run? with the - output legs as well?

best regards

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
They sound much better than the Sowter multi-tapped volume control transformers that I had tried a few years ago.
If you are talking about the Sowters I got from you, then I certainly agree! It's one of the few transformers I don't like.

I may be a matter of taste or of system, but I certainly prefer the transformer output over cap. The caps sound too raw and harsh to me. I couldn't quite make out what load you are running, but I like to be at about 2-3K as a load on the chip.

I'd still love to hear a good active output stage, may be something combining tubes and tranfos.

help please!

hi every one

i'm tying to put together my dac kit and a pair of TAM output transformer from eBay. but i got a terrible noise as well!
i checked everything including direct sound from the chip. it is healthy.
could some of the masters tell me please what can be wrong?

best regards

Attachments

• Foto0352.jpg
    Foto0352.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 1,982
Hi Nosian,
Did you find why it doesn't work ?

the reason I guess as photos show there is plenty of rust around the terminals on the top of both transformers. have they been in a balcony somehow under the tropical rain? or in a watery basement? so the water has damaged the core and/or winding of transformers?
I sent it back to the seller and got the money back. good boy!

best regards

Direct, the mood I finally made it!

My first try to get Ak4396 kit work in direct mood was a failure. But I keep trying by working on the volume control as Sandller advice. It is a shunt attenuator with 10k shunt resistor parallel. I replaced it with a 2.4k carbon foil same value from AK4396 datasheet. And it made the trix.
I replaced the 3 elctrolytics in power supply too, thanks to Erin. Three Mundorf 15000uf are playing the bass notes to Patricia Barber’s “Autumn Leaves”.

The sound is totally different vs the same board with a LME49720. I have made two, the only way to get own experience in this endless discussions.
Direct mood sounds very relaxed filling bass slam in stomach. Although rhythm and pace is there, more obvious, intimate yes sexy. Never experienced from a digital source before, maybe 12 years ago from a Linn top player.
The board with opamp sounds good. Every thing is there but fasten, stressed someone called it, hard not enjoyable as direct mood.

Although I did not put money on the coupling caps(suspicious at the beginning). 10uf Nichicon ES (says better than BG N serie) on 0.1uf pio CCCP to the attenuator and 10uf Nichi to the gnd. I guess the PIOs are not suitable in this bypass. Problem with big orchestral! Teflon may works better? Waiting from Russia by doller.
Looking to Jantzen Superior or Silver mkp as well vs Mundorf silver/oil witch costs double! Do not know if the they worth the price (2x €53 for 4.7uf)
Any suggestion that is easy to order from Europe?

Attachments

• DSC_0145 L.jpg
    DSC_0145 L.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 1,793
Get the last missing components... fire up and ...only some noises !
These TAMradio transfos from Ebay are dead !
I've use two caps (20uF russian paper/oil)... the board is working (clean sound but no bass).
Nosian, is there a simple way to have some bass with caps ?

What is the input impedance of your next stage? Do you mean .2uf paper in oil, not familiar with 20uf russian p-io.

hi Jef

I used this cocktail:
10uf Nichicon ES £0.25!(says better than BG N serie + very bassy) on 0.1uf pio CCCP. I hear the PIOs are not suitable in this bypass. Problem with big orchestral! Teflon may works better!? Waiting from Russia by dollar.

Wima mpk10 is a "budget champion" according to some tests i red recently. did not tested my self, and wonder if anybody has done it?

Get the last missing components... fire up and ...only some noises !
These TAMradio transfos from Ebay are dead !
I've use two caps (20uF russian paper/oil)... the board is working (clean sound but no bass).

I have the same conclusions with Russian PIO !!!! good sound but not for the bass .
You can see on the picture the circuit .

Do we need to put a resistor between the AK output and the capacitor ?

Is there a solution for a discret output stage ?

Thanks
Serge

Attachments

• AK4396Capa.JPG
    AK4396Capa.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 2,015
Passive output stage ( see the picture )
There is a mistake on the picture it's not 33nf but 3.3nf
The passive output stage is a good solution but FOR ME not for the bass .

So i did follow the passive stage with a OPA1641 !!!
and i added a bass boost < 100hz .......
:hphones::spin::cheers:

Serge

Attachments

• ak4396v2.jpg
    ak4396v2.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 1,903
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.