Buffalo Tweaking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an idea about that - basically to allow output boards to be plugged in from the top into the tweakers board using standard (low impedance) pin connectors i.e a 3D design. I reckon this would give the shortest path to the output stage (probably shorter than the Buff with on-board o/p stage?) & would be stable with 8-10 pins on each side PLUS would make it modular - just plug in another IV stage or whatever as long as it has the correct standard socket :) I'll be floating this one with Acko & Owen :)

What do you think?

Agreed about the Sabre & it's full potential :)

thats exactly the sort of thing I had in mind as well, but with dac on a layer above, perhaps with transformer output on the same layer, regs/preregs under that on the bottom layer (also with pins, molex to directly above) surrounded by power tranformers.

buff is great, but just too difficult to tweak in the current form and the tweakers board/next revision is likely to be a while away; in fact I wasnt sure it would ever happen. also this is a local project that I can have some input into.

also, the local wildlife (juvenile urban possums) found my buffalo32 project box downstairs in the workshop, lets just say i'm not feeding them any more :( no joke; long story, the regs are fried; likely among other problems. I have been too busy and TBH a bit down about it to even know where to begin. stranded wire, terminal blocks and marsupials are apparently not a good combination. They also knocked some of my resin dye; injection molding kit down the laundry basin plughole; something I didnt notice until I did my washing the next day

Last edited:
qusp,
As they say around here it - that sounds like a (night)"mare of a day" /week :) Still Acko's tweakers board might soften the blow & is definitely to be released very soon (no vapourware there!). It will be a lot more affordable than another Buffalo with the added bonus of allowing a lot of tweaker options but done with all the guidelines of mixed signal processing implemented!!

I had a somewhat similar experience 2 weeks ago, caused by another pernicious species, Homo Sapiens in which I began to feel like Michael Douglas in "Mowed Down" - by the end of it I was taken to hospital in an ambulance suffering from food poisoning after having passed out :).

fairy 'nuff Nic
yeah twas a frustrating week; thats for damn sure!! its not the end of my buffalo journey, as I want to play them off against each other and keep the favorite, that task has been made much harder now though; especially since there is no BOM for the buffalo dac board :(

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Sorry for your mishaps qusp. Fortunately, my domestic animals dislike electronic stuff as much as my wife!!!
I would also like to try other Sabre chip implementations however for the moment there is only the TP Buffalo around for DIYers like me who don't feel confident about prototyping. It will be interesting to see if Acko's implementation will be available before the tweaker-friendly Buffalo32S V2.
I guess that the TP must be pretty close as they are not restocking the first version.
Nic

Sorry for your mishaps qusp. Fortunately, my domestic animals dislike electronic stuff as much as my wife!!!
I would also like to try other Sabre chip implementations however for the moment there is only the TP Buffalo around for DIYers like me who don't feel confident about prototyping. It will be interesting to see if Acko's implementation will be available before the tweaker-friendly Buffalo32S V2.
I guess that the TP must be pretty close as they are not restocking the first version.
Nic

yeah these guys are just curious about anything in their space, they live under the house as well, and i'm not blameless either; I left a finished coffee on the bench as well because I was so tired I didnt take the precautions I would usually. so I guess one of them jumped up there to check it out and knocked it over or something. there was nothing to spill, its not water damage or anything; just some of the fine stranded copper tore and caused a short as one possibility; was a bit of a shambles when I found it. put it back tio how it was and it actually turned on and played briefly (though I dont know what it sounded like, didnt plug anything in for obvious reasons; only connected via optical to be safe) with the lock LED flickering, then it went out altogether and never woke up. I quickly turned it off and broke it down into its respective modules. the MUX is still perfectly functional and shows lock when fed any signal, the power supplies seem ok, but I dont have any way of testing them bar my DMM and nothing bar the MUX to test them under load. actually one placid is sagging under load, but that might be fixed by simply reflowing all the joints or adjusting the CCS. but the dac board is dead :( assuming (hoping) the regs are fried and nothing much else. perhaps an opamp or 2 in the I/V section. so when I get a moment to trouble shoot it for a little more info i'll email them. the acko is only a matter of days/weeks away; it will beat the tweakers board to market without a doubt barring catastrophic failure. bits also about half the price with premium parts. but then I would expect the tweakers buffalo to be less due to no I/V section, well you would hope so.
qusp, Maybe other owners can help you out or would TP not give you the info?

nah look, its nothing like that; I havent even contacted them about it yet; was waiting till I had a spare minute; been really busy with work this last week and also dont know how to put it without it sounding like a dog ate my homework ;) dont know if you guys have that saying?? nah its just that there isnt a BOM for the dac board and as i'm making digikey and mouser orders in the next day or so, it would have been handy to be able to just pick out the regs, caps, R's and a few other bits and tack it onto the order for when I do have time to try to work out what needs doing. although the 1632 isnt available at ti for a few months. with any luck it wont be too pricey or difficult to fix. sux because I have only recently been able to spend enough time with it to get my head around the sound and regardless of its difficulties its still a very nice piece of kit in stock form. its just not as flexible or errrmmm tweakable or organic sounding as I would like; but I knew that going in. i'm enjoying having some input into the project though; or at least feeling like I do :tongue:

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.