Opening the new DacMagic???? - Page 41 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2012, 07:32 AM   #401
diyAudio Member

Such low voltages and currents call for Schottky diodes, not the fancy fast recovery etc.
Old 12th January 2012, 08:21 PM   #402
gvelim is offline gvelim  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordenguden View Post
gonna be exciting to hear the difference - if any
Hi Tordenguden, any news on the PO74G14A ?
Old 12th January 2012, 09:36 PM   #403
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvelim View Post
Hi Tordenguden, any news on the PO74G14A ?
Yes. I got it a week a go. But I am in doubt know. Because I tried this one, while waiting:

Ground Sound

And it is really good! So now, I'm thinking of building speakers instead

I might be a little crazy. But it's great fun
Old 24th January 2012, 02:18 PM   #404
diyAudio Member

hi all i am new to dacs and higher quality audio equipment.
so i am interested in the dacmagic or the new dacmagic plus but i read the wolfson dacs are not the best so can they be upgraded/replaced with better ones?
i am new to this so please correct me if i am mistaken on any of these terms or things that can actually be upgraded.
thanks in advance
Old 25th January 2012, 07:30 PM   #405
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrafuzzyllama View Post
hi all i am new to dacs and higher quality audio equipment.
so i am interested in the dacmagic or the new dacmagic plus but i read the wolfson dacs are not the best so can they be upgraded/replaced with better ones?
i am new to this so please correct me if i am mistaken on any of these terms or things that can actually be upgraded.
thanks in advance
The wolfson is not that bad. Propper internal power supply for the dac chips and op-amps, is both easier and more important.
The wolfson dac-chip is smd and has several very small pins, that is difficult to unsolder and resolder. By the way, you will not gain much, compared to other mods allready mentioned - even if you find a correct replacement.
I made the following mods:
Nichicon Muse for outputcaps, dexa 5v for dacs and external power for digital chips(bypassing MC34063)
Then tried the dac in high end setup. And even though it lack in detail, clarity, and most other aspecs. then it still peforms ok, it's price considered.
Ofcourse my new dac blows it away. But it also cost's 16 times more

If you aint got the experience and want different sound, dont open it up. Try something else.
remember to read about speakerplacement and acoustics, before judging to much. these things can cheat alot
Old 1st February 2012, 07:47 AM   #406
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordenguden View Post
Not sure what you mean

As i wrote on page 31.

First I replaced U404 with a Dexa 5V.
Then I replaced output caps with Nichicon Muse ES.
And yesterday I replaced the original clock, with the D-clock from dexa/newclassd. The clock is build with a dedicated powersupply, as seen on the picture:
http://newclassd.com/images/dclk1.jpg
And the rest of the specs:
NewClassD Audio Clocks
But mine is whitout the HALO transformer.

I have powered the clock from the output of U402. whitch I think should be ok, since this is where the U404 gets its power to. But I am thinking of replacing the MC34063 (U12) with a dedicated linear regulator or powersupply, to totally elliminate switching noise from the circuit.

Another thing. Last night before i went to bed. I realised that I had been listening for an straight hour, with no listening fatiuqe at all. And this was with music, from a 20 year old cd, that I used to think was badly recorded. But last night, was the first time I really enjoyed this cd again.

I dont know for sure what happend with the sound, and maybe my system simply is the right combination with this mod and my ears. but something did happen... and I like the change
Hi,

Just bought a audio gd clock to improve sound on DM. Can you tell me if I connect it to power out pin of dexa 7815 regulator for cleanest power?

cheers
Old 2nd February 2012, 12:41 AM   #407
diyAudio Member

Hi Evan,

try UNREG 2 should be better option. Tell us the improvement, if any...

ciao
Old 2nd February 2012, 09:07 AM   #408
diyAudio Member

I am using UNREG since UNREG2 receives interference from the MC34063.
UNREG voltage is around 16.8VDC just enough to power the Flea clock.
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:41 PM   #409
diyAudio Member

Default mutil-Opamps trial

Have just finished trialing a number of opamps on the XLR section of the output stage. Bare in mind I have removed the RCA section (OpAmps/Caps) from my setup.

So far and in addition to LM49720 I tried:

OPA2211 - running cool, no oscillations, after 2wks the sound was muddy, with no clarity and distorted highs.

OPA1612 - running cool, no oscillations, sound after 2wks was details but stage feels backwards and sound lucks clarity on busy passages with highs getting distorted.

ISL28118 -no oscillations, running cool, interesting low/mid end giving some nice detail however stage compressed and distorted highs.

MC33078 - this OpAmp used in the application example inside the Wolfson DAC datasheet. Didn't listen as I measured oscillations on its output; negative signal phase was oscillating but not the positive one.

AD797 -burning hot , same stage and instrument definition as LM49720, forward sound, details are easier to listen and sound is less cluttered on busy passages than any of the above opamps.

So AD797 stays for now, and will let it burn.... literally !! is it normal to be that hot, I mean you cannot touch for more than 5''. Would this do anything ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20120203_234243.jpg (693.4 KB, 362 views)

Last edited by gvelim; 4th February 2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 4th February 2012, 02:23 AM   #410
diyAudio Member

Hi gvelim,

thanks, very interesting op-amps rolling.....my LM49720s are going to stay a little longer.

I like SILMIC II + LM49720 combo, great midrange, sweets HF and low intermodulation distortion ( by ears....)

Ciao.

Hide this!Advertise here!