Experience with this DIY DAC ?

Hi Bill:

I think the file was too large for my first two attempts at posting.

Steve

Attachments

• cimg0556.jpg
    cimg0556.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 937
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Bill Fuss said:
If you want to do a little detective work you can measure the DCR with a 1K resistor in series with the meter to protect the trafo from possible saturation, then just subtract the 1K from your reading. The nominal impedence is generally 10 to 20 times the DCR so that will give you a ballpark impedence number. If the DCR comes out at 50 ohms or lower then they are probably 600 ohm, if it comes out to 100s or 1000s DCR then you have a high impedance trafo which does need a load resistor. Your secondary wiring should be completely isolated from everything and go directly to your RCA jacks, and your load or filter should go right across the output, pos to neg. There is no difference between them except phase, and either can be used as ground on the RCAs so long as you hook up both channels the same.

Best, Bill
Thanks for that info, Bill :)

I'll try it in the near future, but for the time being I have settled with a cap output (2.7uf Auricaps with .22uf Teflon bypasses),sounding pretty good this way.
But I'll try transformers again soon ;)

Atlplasma said:
Hi Bill:

I think the file was too large for my first two attempts at posting.

Steve

You have the upsampling version, same as mine. I believe with the upsampling board in place you cant use it in single speed, but I'm not a digital guru and could be wrong. I got a CD with mine that shows only two settings, with upsampling and without. To use without I pulled the board and had to jumper 3 or 4 positions on the board socket. The jumpers were not supplied with the board, I was lucky enough to find some in an old amp.

Hopefully, someone else will read this and post a better reply than I am capable of.

Keep reading the thread, there's nuggets of info dispersed throughout.

Best, Bill

Bill Fuss said:

You have the upsampling version, same as mine. I believe with the upsampling board in place you cant use it in single speed, but I'm not a digital guru and could be wrong. I got a CD with mine that shows only two settings, with upsampling and without. To use without I pulled the board and had to jumper 3 or 4 positions on the board socket. The jumpers were not supplied with the board, I was lucky enough to find some in an old amp.

Hopefully, someone else will read this and post a better reply than I am capable of.

Best, Bill

Yes, the use of the upsample board is correct Bill. To switch with or without just need two realys and a switch on front of the case.

Thanks Bill:

I am running it direct from the neg chip output with 600 Ohm and 1000pf across. The Rs are the old Be Yam Yamamura resistors. They do have a good point or two - especially as they were briefed to the UK head of Vishay by Be Yamamura at my kitchen table!!

For all that use the coax digital input, as far as I know the resistor and cap values are still not the recommended values from Crystal. They are right behind the input jack and are easy to get to if you remove the jack first. I don't remember the correct values offhand, but you can find them in this thread somewhere towards the biginning.

Bill

brianco said:
Thanks Bill:

I am running it direct from the neg chip output with 600 Ohm and 1000pf across. The Rs are the old Be Yam Yamamura resistors. They do have a good point or two - especially as they were briefed to the UK head of Vishay by Be Yamamura at my kitchen table!!

Straight out with no caps, that's pretty daring, but if it works, it works.
I dont know if a static charge on your interconnects could damage the chip or not, best be careful plugging and unplugging.

Bill

Bill Fuss said:

Sounds like a cool setup.
:cool:
You'll have to show us how you did it.

Bill

Do you really need a schematic how to mount on a test board like this

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

a pair relais that normally close the four pins on oversalmping boards with the dac, and if with a switch give power to the relais connecting the OS circuit?

I like the oversampling with the Digitec transformers, and I have removed all resistors and caps on the primaire. Only on the secondary I have 680ohm in parallel. Sounds pretty cool now for me!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Bill Fuss said:

Best, Bill

Thanks, Bill. My board came with the jumper in place. I understood that you had to remove the jumpers and plug in the daughter board to use the USB port. Maybe I misunderstood. One way to find out, of course.
:smash:

Atlplasma said:

Thanks, Bill. My board came with the jumper in place. I understood that you had to remove the jumpers and plug in the daughter board to use the USB port. Maybe I misunderstood. One way to find out, of course.
:smash:

Sometimes I'm not very clear with my explainations, I used to get comments at work.

My board came with the daughter board installed. If you pull the daughter board to use the unit without oversampling then you need 4 more jumpers to install on the daughter board socket. They were not supplied by the seller but the CD supplied shows where they go. They have nothing to do with the input selection.

I hope that explanation was better.

Bill