nVidia CUDA GPU computing PC FIR

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any further advance with your cuda based fir program? Would be great if there is....

I'm reaching the limitations of brutefir as it doesnt want to play ball with the latest versions of netjack2 (look it up if your into having a seperate linux dsp box and the idea of multiple soundcard clocks keeps you up at night)....

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Is it possible to map the ASIO from FIR output into card's internal interface or to other interface devices in the computer, or only the physical ADAT output? ASIO allows to do this but you need to bring up the ASIO Control Panel in the player application - this will not work if you are using Patchmix (specifically).

I don't know the complications involved, but if the FIR program presents itself as an ASIO host (which it seems to be able to do) Foobar (for example) should be able to see ASIO12345678 and map the stereo output to all channel pairs, and FIR should be able to calculate from there. Unless, of course, it is presented as a single stereo output host (which logically, it is).

I find your HDMI version far, far more enticing, btw. In spite of the fact that I don't have an HDMI-capable receiver and I have the e-mu1212m, perfectly capable of everything in your ASIO method and sending 8 channels down a lightpipe.

I am simply amazed by the quality of the effort. I must now buy a cheap nVidia card to experiment :), and a suitable ADAT or HDMI receiver.

Hi sangram,
perhaps very difficult or completely another program?
I can handle routing on Patchmix, but CUDA_FIR_ASIO knows nothing about what I configured.
CUDA_FIR_ASIO is ASIO client (does not serve ASIO ports, just use them).
it has no knowledge about inside ASIO. it just gets Stereo in, then makes 8 channel output, from and to ASIO server (like patchmix).

please don't spend much money, just start from cheaper.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
:D

Right, thanks for that. I thought it was a fully-blown ASIO host of its own.

Still, if I had a E-mu1616m (for example) I guess one could map ASIO12345678 from FIR ASIO to 4 stereo pair analog outputs I guess (not really sure, maybe downloading the manual will help).

Thanks for the development to a very useful place. I would say both versions are now usable by even a rookie like me, so kudos :)

Great iniative on making this program I really think digital crossovers are the future in audio.

Can someone please give me a step by step walkthrough on how I can to get this to work? I downloaded GPUFIR_ASIO and I'm using asio4all and virtual audio cable but i cant seem to get it to work.

I't usually says that my output device wont support 8 channels although I got a souncard with more outputs than that. Once I got some audio but it was all scambled.

Thanks in advance :)

Hello again, I got it working but now but instead I got two other problems.

1. When I raise the volume past 80% on wave in I get a "crackling" sound, almost sounds like clipping.

2. There's a some latency, about 500ms judging from syncing audio with video in film clip. All asio settings are set to minimum latency and when I run the audio through a VST-host I don't get the same latency.

wave in --> asio --> GPUFIR --> asio --> soundcard =latency

wave in --> asio --> VST-host --> asio --> soundcard = no noticeable latency

Also the GPU load is only like 4% when GPUFIR is running and I got a 9800GTX+. Would it be possible to increase GPU load and get lower latency?

FIR needs a certain number of samples to do its thing, so it will introduce some delay. Lowering the number of samples will lower the delay, but at the cost of a less accurate filtering. Higher sampling rate at a given number of samples should also cut the delay.

As you already know, adding an equal video delay is the best (and only?) way to get around it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.