ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel) - Page 178 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2011, 05:53 AM   #1771
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
qusp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDonegan View Post
I2S is not a differential signal.

ahh brain fart, you're right, I was thinking of USB, have been putting together USB->I2S modules. if it was differential it wouldnt be so prone to noise and need such short cable runs
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 12:34 PM   #1772
diyAudio Member
 
BrianDonegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TPA HQ
Some background for casual readers: I2S is short for IIS, which stands for Inter-IC Sound, and was designed for very short runs, and never meant to traveling over anything other than traces for very short ribbon cables.
__________________
Twisted Pear Audio
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 01:58 PM   #1773
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner
 
AR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDonegan View Post
Some background for casual readers: I2S is short for IIS, which stands for Inter-IC Sound, and was designed for very short runs, and never meant to traveling over anything other than traces for very short ribbon cables.
I will as again what I posted a few post above

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
My understanding is that I2S is limited to distribution to very short distances, and the quality of the signal is not as much affected with the quality of the wires but with the length. Is it possible to use transmitters to send this kind of signal on the longer distance, like from one case to another case without loss?
__________________
www.burningamp.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 02:13 PM   #1774
diyAudio Member
 
BrianDonegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TPA HQ
Yes. You can even use differential drivers and make it a differential signal

You will want to carefully manage latency between the signals.
__________________
Twisted Pear Audio
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 02:30 PM   #1775
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner
 
AR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDonegan View Post
Yes. You can even use differential drivers and make it a differential signal

You will want to carefully manage latency between the signals.
Thak you. I used before 485 (I believe that was number) transmiter but that was for S/PDIF signal and it worked perfect. I never worked with I2S though.
__________________
www.burningamp.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 03:02 PM   #1776
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDonegan View Post
Yes. You can even use differential drivers and make it a differential signal
You will want to carefully manage latency between the signals.
As you may already know, PS-Audio advocates I2S on LVDS/HDMI connector & cable. Its reference schematic is available here.
http://www.fidelix.jp/img/PS-HDMI.jpg
The standard employs HDMI connector and cable. However, it is not HDMI signal at all. It is a differential transmission of I2S signals.

As far as I know, CAPRICE DAC by Japanese Fidelix (Rx side), Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2 (Rx side) and SDTrans192 Rev. 3.0 (Tx side) have implemented this standard other than PS-Audio.
In my case, I connected SDTrans and CAPRICE with 50 cm HDMI cable and found it feasible for up to 352.8 kHz/24 bit.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 03:32 PM   #1777
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
NicMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Hi Bunpei,
You were so kind to help me get my hands on a set of these fidelix I2S/HDMI transmitter/receiver boards and I plan to use these as an umbilical cord between my DAC (a dual-mono Buffalo II) and a yet to be constructed/implemented "digital input selection and DAC control unit". A great feature of the fidelix implementation is that the HDMI cable also carry the I2C signal so the DAC operation can be controlled/monitored remotely.

One question: somewhere on the documentation I received together with the fidelix modules I recall to have read "DSD/I2S" transmitter/receiver", suggesting that these module can transmit/receive also DSD signal (and possibly SPDIF). Have you tried this or only the I2S format?
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 03:59 PM   #1778
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicMac View Post
One question: somewhere on the documentation I received together with the fidelix modules I recall to have read "DSD/I2S" transmitter/receiver", suggesting that these module can transmit/receive also DSD signal (and possibly SPDIF). Have you tried this or only the I2S format?
I also tried a DSD connection between ElectrArt USB Audio Board and Buffalo II using a pair of these interface boards and got successful results for both DSD64 and DSD128.
You can tap DSD signals from your SACD player and extend those signals to ES9018 based DACs with 50 cm or 1m HDMI cable without problems using these boards.
I have not tried it for S/PDIF.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 04:07 PM   #1779
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner
 
AR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunpei View Post
As you may already know, PS-Audio advocates I2S on LVDS/HDMI connector & cable. Its reference schematic is available here.
http://www.fidelix.jp/img/PS-HDMI.jpg
The standard employs HDMI connector and cable. However, it is not HDMI signal at all. It is a differential transmission of I2S signals.

As far as I know, CAPRICE DAC by Japanese Fidelix (Rx side), Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2 (Rx side) and SDTrans192 Rev. 3.0 (Tx side) have implemented this standard other than PS-Audio.
In my case, I connected SDTrans and CAPRICE with 50 cm HDMI cable and found it feasible for up to 352.8 kHz/24 bit.
Thank you very much for this post. That's the way to do it. Now if I read correctly there are boards that performs the conversion? Do you know where to look for it?
__________________
www.burningamp.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2011, 12:42 AM   #1780
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR2 View Post
Thank you very much for this post. That's the way to do it. Now if I read correctly there are boards that performs the conversion? Do you know where to look for it?
A Japanese technology oriented vendor, Fidelix, provides a board level component.
http://www.fidelix.jp/img/I2S-HDMI.gif
http://www.fidelix.jp/img/I2S-HDMI%20PCB.jpg


The receiver module incorporates an isolator device and its power can be supplied from a transmitter side.

Its price is 15,000 JPY. Their contact address is info@fidelix.jp
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:54 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2