• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Remote control kits

As some people here may know, I have designed some remote control boards.

So far I have a small board for controlling a motorized pot, and two different boards for "passive preamps". A lot more will be added, when I have to time to get it finished ;)

You can read about them here: http://electronics.dantimax.dk/

And you can read some of the background info on my personal website.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

In that case, do you have any pictures of the unit in operation. I'd like to see how it looks with the display. Is it comparable to the Apox unit? I'd like to use one encoder for source selection, another for volume control. To correctly use your parts I'd need the control2, the front panel type 1(C2Panel1-2), the relvol1(RelVol1CM), and the input1. Would this be correct?

Christopher

Hi Mikkel

I am buying S&B transformers in the next week or two. Does your boards work with fully differential/balanced inputs and outputs?

I'd like to have 5 inputs and tape monitor, front panel control via push buttons, and IR remote control for both inputs, mute, and volume.

Is the right combination Control2, Input1, Front Panel 1, and RelVol2?

Is there a way to use a front panel motorized volume selector that would work with the volume relays?

Anyway, nice kits. Clean and simple.

bushroot said:
In that case, do you have any pictures of the unit in operation. I'd like to see how it looks with the display.[/b]
I have some pictures of a special version I did. Here's the complete setup:

http://stiftsbogtrykkeriet.dk/~mcs/Opstilling.jpg

The board on the left is a "special edition" of RelVol2 and Input1 on one board more or less. It can control 80 relays - 64 for volume and 16 for source selection, mute etc.

And here's a closeup on the display:

http://stiftsbogtrykkeriet.dk/~mcs/Display.jpg

I'll take some pictures of a newer/normal version next time I can get my hands on a camera.

Is it comparable to the Apox unit?
You tell me :)

I'd like to use one encoder for source selection, another for volume control. To correctly use your parts I'd need the control2, the front panel type 1(C2Panel1-2), the relvol1(RelVol1CM), and the input1. Would this be correct?
That's about the same setup as on the photo. You could use the type two panel, unless you need the 8 pushbuttons also. The attenuator board should be the RelVol1M version, as you don't need the built-in control section.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Re: Hi Mikkel

darkmoebius said:
I am buying S&B transformers in the next week or two. Does your boards work with fully differential/balanced inputs and outputs?
The RelVol2 board (for use with those transformers) does. It can be used both balanced and unbalanced depending on how you connect it.

I'd like to have 5 inputs and tape monitor, front panel control via push buttons, and IR remote control for both inputs, mute, and volume.
How many balanced inputs do you need? The Input1 board is unbalanced only, but I guess you could use two for balanced operation... But I am working on an input selector board with both balanced and unbalanced inputs. My current plans are two balanced inputs and three unbalanced + the tape monitor. Does that sound about right?

Is the right combination Control2, Input1, Front Panel 1, and RelVol2?
Yes.

Is there a way to use a front panel motorized volume selector that would work with the volume relays?
I don't quite understand that one. You would have a rotary encoder for changing the volume setting, and a display showing the currect setting. What do you want to motorize?

Anyway, nice kits. Clean and simple.
Thanks!

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

bushroot said:
In that case, do you have any pictures of the unit in operation.
I finally got some pictures taken. But it's the middle of the (dark) winter, so the pictures get very grainy...

Here's a picture of one of my test setups: http://electronics.dantimax.dk/Filer/Control2-test-setup.jpg

I have added a close-up picture of the display and a description on the kit page. The "Control2" page here: http://electronics.dantimax.dk/Kits/

I have also added a new kit. A small attenuator control board with LCD display - it's the VolControl3.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Mikkel,

Most of my power supplies use 15 VAC secondaries. Your AC specs are for 6-12 VAC. Is 15 VAC definitely too much, or can a series resistor be used to drop this value?

Also, in your all-in-one preamp box, are the boxes pre-drilled for front panel buttons and rear panel RCA jacks? And are the RCA jacks included in the kits for the various input boards?

Thanks, Robert

rljones said:
Your AC specs are for 6-12 VAC. Is 15 VAC definitely too much, or can a series resistor be used to drop this value?
15V is OK, if it is 15V and not 20V when it's unloaded. The limit is the 25V caps in the powersupply, so the limit would be about 17.5V AC. In some cases you may need a slightly larger heatsink with a 15V supply.

Also, in your all-in-one preamp box, are the boxes pre-drilled for front panel buttons and rear panel RCA jacks? And are the RCA jacks included in the kits for the various input boards?
The boxes are not normally pre-drilled, but you get a template to use for the drilling. I can check the cost of pre-drilled panels, but it's probably not cheap...

The RCA connectors are included in all the kits.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Any news on the balanced input board?

Hi Mikkel,

I was just wondering how you are coming with the balanced inout board?

I've got my S&B TX-102 mkIII TVC's sitting here on my desk right now waiting to be controlled by one of your preamps.

Would 3 balanced inputs be too much to ask for?

That would provide an affordable alternative between a single Input2 and having to buy two of them.

Re: Any news on the balanced input board?

darkmoebius said:
I was just wondering how you are coming with the balanced inout board?
The design work is done. You can see a (small) drawing here: http://electronics.dantimax.dk/Kits/Foto/Input2-PCB-Draw.495_400.gif

I can't test it untill I get a board in a week or two. But since it's based on other similar circuits I have made, I don't expect any problems.

Would 3 balanced inputs be too much to ask for?
No, perhaps not. The only problem is that the PCB get's very big very fast with the balanced inputs. One balanced input takes up almost as much space as four unbalanced inputs...

And the PCB is the most expensive part of the kit (the Input2 PCB costs as much as all the parts combined!). I could get the price down if I ordered 100 pcs. at a time, but I don't really have the cash for that - and I would probably change something after selling the first 5 anyway ;)

But if you need three balanced inputs, I can make a version with an extra balanced input and one less unbalanced input - just let me know.

That would provide an affordable alternative between a single Input2 and having to buy two of them.
Why would you buy two Input2s? Or did you mean two Input1s?

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Re: Re: Any news on the balanced input board?

mcs said:

The design work is done. You can see a (small) drawing here: http://electronics.dantimax.dk/Kits/Foto/Input2-PCB-Draw.495_400.gif

Very cool!

But if you need three balanced inputs, I can make a version with an extra balanced input and one less unbalanced input - just let me know.

No, that's ok. I wouldn't want to expend any time or money on something that only I'm going to want.

Why would you buy two Input2s? Or did you mean two Input1s?

I meant Input2's because I need at least 3 XLR/balanced inputs, so I figured that two Input2's would allow 4 balanced and 6 unbalanced(not that I need 6, just 2).

I know it seems odd that anyone would need that many balanced inputs, but I am trying make my entire system balanced. If not balanced circuits, then at least balanced interconnects with SE to balanced transformers at each component.

A bit extreme, but this DIY Audio and the point is that we all tend to go a little overboard on our systems. ;)

BTW, I really like the idea of a preamp that has push-button, rotary encoder, and IR remote control. That's what my Audio Refinement Complete Integrated has and it is great. It also a rotary source selector.