saw blade question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for all the replies.

Yes it is a tilting table model. The first few gears near the level setting on the front trunnion are somewhat stripped. But once it's all locked down it's fine.

The 100t blade question was for a new 5-1/2 circular saw.

Yesterday I made a ZCI and bought a piece of metal to make a splitter and I made some rails for a crosscut sled.

I was looking at the MJ splitters, but $35 for some pieces of plastic???

I did a few cuts yesterday and by a casual look they look pretty good. On mdf they seen plenty smooth with what looks like a pretty run of the mill 40t blade of unknown sharpness.

There is some vibration that I think is coming from the fact that the weight of the motor is what holds the tension on the belt.

Is the blade belt driven?

The belt drive limits the power that you can transfer from the motor to the blade.

A big blade that has become just slightly blunt will overload a belt drive and excessive slip will occur.
That slip wears out the belt/s and the pulley.

Oh and the school had to pay for the fire engine and crew that turned out because the little bit of smoke in the saw/stock room set off the fire alarm.
Twice.
The school finally got the maintenance technician in to replace the belts. Unfortunately he did not notice that 2 of the 4 pulley grooves had worn badly and effectively the 4 belt drive had reduced to a 2 belt drive and thus half torque and half power.
Prior to that they ignored my request for maintenance.

Last edited:
Yes it is belt drive but it doesn't seem like the belt is slipping. And at least in the 1/2" MDF I was cutting yesterday, the RPM/rate-of-cut was smooth. I notice the vibration most when the blade is coming up to speed or slowing down and I can see the belt kind of bouncing around.

I need some ideas for inexpensive table saw miter saw runners. The ones I made are 3/4 x 3/4 and with my 1/2" mdf that uses up a lot of my 2" max cut depth.

I'm heading to the 'big city' (Sacramento) so it's a good day to look for alternatives. (and I"m a sucker for 'big box' store 'finds'.

I prefer the link on a single belt application, and especially on contractor type saws using the motor weight to tension the belt, because the splice on the ordinary belt generates vibration. The links disperse that energy, or move it to a high enough frequency that I don't perceive it as vibration. My unisaw has three very old conventional belts on it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.