My contribution to this site...if anyone is interested.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Choose the appropriate length of interconnect that you want to construct...then roll out some tape a little past the final length of cable. Fold the tape over itself, then roll it out...then fold the other end over itself. Use little pieces to "tension" the tape. Not too tight. Just enough to keep it it from crinkling.

oops forgot the pics...

Attachments

• 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 539
  • 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 533
  • 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 515
...yikes, I'm awake.

OK...so start wrapping the foil around the cotton. Prior to doing so...slice the folded tape at both ends of the run, just a few mm. This will allow the foil to wrap around the cotton...and will continue to separate on its own from the taped down end. When you get to where the tension tape is...slice a little more in that area. I use to do this process without the paino wire... believe it or not, I was successful. Adding the wire is so much easier though. Start at one end AND GO SLOWLY. The slower you move towards the opposite direction the more control you will have over how even the foil wrap is distributed along the cotton. This takes practice to get the shielding done without any wrinkles or kinks. TAKE YOUR TIME I SAID!!!!:nownow:

...sorry for sceaming, I don't take my Zoloft till 7am.

NEEEEEEXT!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 27.JPG
    27.JPG
    359.7 KB · Views: 247
  • 26.JPG
    26.JPG
    310.7 KB · Views: 292
  • 28.JPG
    28.JPG
    371.1 KB · Views: 261
  • 29.JPG
    29.JPG
    290 KB · Views: 271
  • 30.JPG
    30.JPG
    312.3 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
observe...

...now, when you get half way...start at the other end doing the exact same thing with another piece of cotton/piano wire strand working backwards.

Attachments

• 33.JPG
    33.JPG
    328.4 KB · Views: 264
  • 32.JPG
    32.JPG
    321.6 KB · Views: 265
  • 31.JPG
    31.JPG
    332.8 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Voilà!

Now pull out the piano wire. If you stretched the cotton rope very tight onto the piano wire earlier in the build...this step will be very difficult. I will explain later. Now...cut the ends straight with the exacto knife. I's nice eh?

Attachments

• 43.JPG
    43.JPG
    281.7 KB · Views: 325
  • 42.JPG
    42.JPG
    298.9 KB · Views: 226
  • 41.JPG
    41.JPG
    297.3 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
Now push your conductor through. Bend the end slightly so it doesn't catch itself inside the cotton and prohibit the wire from moving further. A 28 gauge wire will slide through very easily. Shown here is my 28 gauge silver/copper wound wires. I will show you how to do this later on.

Attachments

• 44.JPG
    44.JPG
    282.1 KB · Views: 487
  • 45.JPG
    45.JPG
    306.5 KB · Views: 475
  • 46.JPG
    46.JPG
    297 KB · Views: 461
  • 47.JPG
    47.JPG
    249.7 KB · Views: 460
Later I will continue with the connectors. This is a little tricky because you are now working with a completed cable (including the texflex jacket you see pictured), and are somewhat limited to how you can manipulate the ends. The difficulty will depend on what type of RCA's you use.

Don't start building these yet...I haven't show the little trick I use to keep the cable from breaking.
Adiós for now.

Last edited:
Is there any proof that less resistance sounds better? If this was the case surely transistors would always sound better? What about anode resistors, grid stoppers etc?

There are many who will tell you that transistors do sound better. That said, if I'm not mistaken, resistance affects frequencies differently. High frequencies, even within the audible range, are affected more than low frequencies. Resistance also causes time domain issues. See e.g. Skin Effect and cable impedance

Later I will continue with the connectors. This is a little tricky because you are now working with a completed cable (including the texflex jacket you see pictured), and are somewhat limited to how you can manipulate the ends. The difficulty will depend on what type of RCA's you use.

Don't start building these yet...I haven't show the little trick I use to keep the cable from breaking.
Adiós for now.

Hey i have a whole PILE of cotton tube rope you can have, if you pay the shipping you can have it or trade for something. Its just sitting here collecting dust about 75 feet of it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer. I have 40 packs myself. Nice collection of sheathing. What do you use for shielding?

I use silver teflon wire from a guy in the states, its like coax but smaller :) i like it and its what i have been using, i also use silver wire braided for my speaker cables.

its a fact that water always runs/turns th same way, due to earth magnet field
it can be seen when draining a bathtub
but I believe it turns differently in different parts of the world

any idea if this also affects the way wires are twisted :confused:
and its not a joke :rolleyes:

After having experimented with single solid core 28 gauge cables, I wanted to try a few alternatives like a thicker gauge, combining Au and Cu together, and using different positive and negative return configurations. I believe that the Au/Cu wound wires have the best overall balanced sound. I could hear a subtle difference when using my Gamut amp. The Gamut is a strange beast. Many say that it lacks in bass resolution. And at first, I wanted to agree. BUT, after listening to quite a few albums...this is not the case. It has a unique way of delivering precisely how the material was mastered. For example, I find RADIOHEAD to be strangely mastered. Over emphasis on the bass guitar, yet weak in bass drum expression. Don't get me wrong...they rock of course. But for some reason, the Gamut balances this out, and produces a more balanced sound between the two. The Au/Cu combination extended the bass drum signature and, for the first time, I was pleased with the representation. I tried more albums that I found to be mastered similarly. And sure enough, I observed the same characteristics. Technically, I think that it has to do with the slightly larger gauge that the Au/Cu combination allows BUT configured in a twisted morphology. Oddly, running Au and Cu in a paralleled fashion did not produce the same result. Another interesting note is that I also noticed that using a Au/Cu twisted positive conductor WITH a single Cu negative conductor displayed no difference than a Au/Cu double run. Initially, choosing the 28 gauge size was due to my belief that it would reduce skin effect issues. Possibly, the larger gauge combination of the Au/Cu provided less resistance, thus producing the above mentioned differences in signature. Unfortunately, real means of technically measuring this is out of my league. But my ears don't lie. I'm also a strict believer in controlled experiments.

Spiro

its a fact that water always runs/turns th same way, due to earth magnet field........... I believe it turns differently in different parts of the world
I thought I remember reading that it was the spinning of Earth on it's axis that determined the direction of plughole drainage.
I also thought the northern Hemisphere behaved in opposite direction to the Southern Hemisphere.
Are you suggesting that the Brazilian and Ossie Members should twist their cables differently from us Northerners? Surely not?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.