• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Switched Mode Power Supplies (SMPS)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm using a pair of SMPS500R (set to +/- 57V) to power a pair of Hypex UcD400HG modules (one SMPS per UcD module). My units shipped with 2200uF output caps (not sure if this is the "low profile" version referred to in post #215 of this thread here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/conn...-mode-power-supplies-smps-22.html#post2557794). This seems a bit low and is significantly lower than than the 6800uF caps shown in the unit on the SMPS500R products page (here: http://connexelectronic.com/images/SMPS500R.JPG). A few questions:

1. Can the output caps on the units I received be increased to 6800uF?

2. Do any other parts need to be replaced/changed if the output caps are changed to 6800uF?

Thanks,
Bryan

I'm trying briefly to compare two highest power SMPS: the SMPS2000R and the new SMPS3K6QR. The price of the SMPS3K6QR is not much higher than the SMPS2000R version with 2*C/W Heatsink. Additionally the SMPS3K6QR has 2 symmetrical voltages outputs to supply driver and the output stage and only +-5% voltage stability under 0-100% load. The SMPS2000R has +-10% voltage stability in these same condition. Is any other advantage of SMPS2000R over the new SMPS3K6QR or the new 3k6 is better than the 2k version???

- Have you measured the output ripple of both SMPS under light load? Could you tell me what is the output ripple voltage of these both power supplies?
- Could you tell me what is the switching frequency of these both power supplies?
- Which SMPS would you suggest for high quality high power amplifier 1000W/4R. Does the one power supply produces better/cleaner voltage than the other one? I see that one is resonant and the other has quasi resonant topology...

I would be grateful for any additional suggestion.
Thanks!
ChUmI

Bryan:
the output voltage of the power supply can be adjusted to values above +-60V which is too close to the working voltage of the 63V caps. then, i should chose the 80V caps instead, for which i had available the 2200uF value. the caps can be increased to 6800uF, but make sure their working voltage to not be exceeded. no other part should be changed unless on the circuit which is supplied by the smps there are other large caps which will count for more than 10mF total capacitance for each rail.

Chumi:
The SMPS2000R has regulated output voltage, and adjustable within aprox. 10% range, depending on the voltage version, which means that the output voltage remain constant while the load changes from nearly zero to nominal power, and/or the mains voltage changes within nominal range, 100-125V or 200-250V. the switching frequency is variable, to be able to regulate the output voltage over all load conditions, in range of 70-160KHz.
The SMPS3K6QR does not have load or mains regulation, which means that if the load or the mains voltage changes, the output voltage will also change. this type of power supply can be compared with the classic linear supply, comprised of a large thoroidal transformer, rectifier bridge and large capacitors. the main advantage of this power supply over the classic solution, is the smaller size, lower weight, and can follow more precisely the mains voltage, with less output voltage drop than the classic power supply sollution, due to lower losses in all the power chain, from input to output. the switching frequency is set to around 120KHz.
For the 1000W amplifier, i recommend the SMPS2000R. it has cleaner output voltage, much lower output ripple, while the SMPS3K6 has output ripple dependent on the current draw, with the main component on 100/120Hz, same as classic power supply.

Thanks for your replay and the info. So, I will order the SMPS2000R one. Do you have something like +-55V version on stock? I would like to supply bridged LM49810 amplifier (2x500W modules) and be able to drive loads down to 4 Ohm. What would you suggest – would be +-55V OK? Let me know what would available and I directly place the order.

I have one more question. I need one more SMPS for my IRAUDAMP4 amplifier. I would need something like +-30 up to +-35V voltage with max 500W power capability. I found many different 500W SMPS on your web page. Could you tell me which one of yours 500W SMPS gives the best quality voltage – I mean the lowest ripple and best voltage stability?

Thanks!
ChUmI

Fine J, please send me a mail then.

Chumi, +-55V is at the top limit of the +-50V version or the bottom limit of the +-60V version. i can configure a +-60V version to work within aprox. +-53 to +-60V to accomodate the required voltage. But, this will only give you about 200-250W on 4R each channel with the LME49810 modules. to get 500W the supply voltage must be higher, within +-70 to 80V interval.
SMPS500R is suitable for IRaudamp4, it has regulated output voltage, the output can be configured from +-32v to +-36V.
The website is down, again.... i believe that the crappy hosting company haven't paid the electricity again :) if you want to order, please check again later when the site will be up. i apologize for this inconvenience, which seem to happen more often, like i paid subscription for this...

Cristi ~ your webpage does work well now - I just took a short look on yours SMPS one more time.

I would like to connect two LM49810 in the bridge mode on single channel - so, two bridged modules + phase shifter (BIPS module) on one channel, therefore I want to use bit lower voltage like something around +-55V up to max +-60V. With this bridged configuration the amp should be able to put even over 1kW on 4 Ohm - would it be so? Maybe I will go than for the SMPS2000R +-60V version and try in the beginning with +-55V if said it is possible to decrease the voltage a little bit. I guess having the voltage to high I will not be able to drive 4 Ohm from this bridged configuration...

Concerning the 500W SMPS for my IRAUDAMP4 could you tell me what is the difference between A500SMPS and SMPS500R - there is no difference on the photos on your webpage? I will definitely take the best one you suggested.

if your running it flat out its probably going to need a fan or a larger heat-sink for the MOSFETs.

I'm pretty sure that sounds normal but see what Cristi says.

I run the ta3020 and smps board 24/7 and the power supply idles pretty warm, I've never had it shutdown (well not from overheating)
But I've also never run the amp flat-out for 2-3hours either.

Nicolas, i've checkt with the old shipping company and i should get the answer what's happent monday-tuesday. i've changed them (again) about one month ago because of poor services. don't worry, if they are not able to give me an answer or the package is lost, i will send you another. till now, i haven't took someone's money without sending nothing. unfortunatelly i cannot say the same about some other customers who did the opposite.
please resend me the mail, i wasn't working almost one week due to health problems, and your mail is somewhere between few hundred others.

Bryan, something is wrong there, in normal operation the MOS-FET's temperature is not getting above 50-60*C even with the case cover closed. send me a mail to see what went wrong. if the power supply is damaged i will replace-it.

Chumi, +-55V is at the top limit of the +-50V version or the bottom limit of the +-60V version. i can configure a +-60V version to work within aprox. +-53 to +-60V to accomodate the required voltage. But, this will only give you about 200-250W on 4R each channel with the LME49810 modules. to get 500W the supply voltage must be higher, within +-70 to 80V interval.

SMPS500R is suitable for IRaudamp4, it has regulated output voltage, the output can be configured from +-32v to +-36V.
The website is down, again.... i believe that the crappy hosting company haven't paid the electricity again :) if you want to order, please check again later when the site will be up. i apologize for this inconvenience, which seem to happen more often, like i paid subscription for this...

Cristi ~ I would like to connect two LM49810 in the bridge mode on single channel - so, two bridged modules + phase shifter (BIPS module) on one channel, therefore I want to use bit lower voltage like something around +-55V up to max +-60V. With this bridged configuration the amp should be able to put even over 1kW on 4 Ohm - would it be so? Maybe I will go than for the SMPS2000R +-60V version and try in the beginning with +-55V if said it is possible to decrease the voltage a little bit. I guess having the voltage to high I will not be able to drive 4 Ohm from this bridged configuration...

Concerning the 500W SMPS for my IRAUDAMP4 could you tell me what is the difference between A500SMPS and SMPS500R - there is no difference on the photos on your webpage? I will definitely take the best one you suggested.

For two LME49810 modules connected in BTL mode, one SMPS2000R is enough, but for 4 modules, each two connected in BTL, a bigger power supply is required, such as SMPS3K6.

The difference between the A500SMPS and SMPS500R is the topology used, and the performances. the first one use QR-half bridge, the output voltage is unregulated and has no aux. output, the second one use LLC resonant topology, has regulated output, and aux. output as well.

Hi Cristi, I just ordered one SMPS2000R +-60V with heatsink and one SMPS500R +-36V. I would like first to test it a little bit and if they are really so good I will definitely order more :) I would have one short question. I am at home until 20 December only. From 21 December to around 10 January 2012 I am not at home... How do you think, do I get the power supplies before 20 December? I think the shipment should arrive to Germany around 15th December because the custom tax-guys need definitely some days too :)

One more short question - do you plan to build high power amplifier module based on LME49830 + good audio MOSFETs? with power around 500W?

SMPS300R 110V - any problem using with 117V and 120V?

After reading comments here am considering buying Hifimediy T4 amp.

But, most commonly I have available the more standard 117 or 120VAC, not the uncommon 110V.

What are the implications?

Also, what other parts are needed to put this together? A dual audio potentiometer? What value and where to buy it?

Nicholas, i just sent you a reply. please check mail.

Skyler, the standard mains voltage value can take values with 10-15% more or less. the 110V SMPS300R version, would work fine from 95-90V up to 120-125V. less than 95V, could be too low and might not start. the undervoltage threshold is set to about 85-90V, parts tolerance dependent. more than 135V for long term can damage the power supply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.