• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Switched Mode Power Supplies (SMPS)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In the manual of the TA3020v3k at page 5 and 6 are two examples how to connect the amplifier with a power supply and speaker protection, power soft start circuits. +10V with respect to Vnn means an isolated 10V regulated power supply which is connected with negative terminal to Vnn and positive terminal to Vnn+10V. it's voltage is floating with respect to power GND and referenced to negative voltage bus. this is an basic thing which anyone which install a class D or T amplifier should know, otherwise i can assume that the level of knowledge might not be adequate to install the board properly and smoke can come out very soon.

I often receive mails with basic questions about the modules, some questions are really ridiculous and their answer is on the first page, like "what is the supply voltage of the module", or "can it work with 110V mains voltage ?" i usually do not reply to such mails. why ? first because if i spent weeks to write a manual, one can spend two minutes to find the answer for that question, second, and probably most important, i believe that who ask this questions will not be able to successfully use the module, and i prefer to avoid unpleasant situations. is already written in manuals and on the webpage that the modules should only be used by persons which have at least basic electronic knowledge and skills and safety measures should be taken to not put their life in danger.
sorry if sounds rude, i'm not a snake-oil jelly salesman who would convince anyone to buy whatever as long as cash will flow. i prefer to not sell something if i'm not sure that the user will be 100% satisfied. i'm not getting rich from connexelectronic, and i need to have a daytime job to support my living expenses.

Last edited:
sorry if sounds rude, i'm not a snake-oil jelly salesman who would convince anyone to buy whatever as long as cash will flow. i prefer to not sell something if i'm not sure that the user will be 100% satisfied. i'm not getting rich from connexelectronic, and i need to have a daytime job to support my living expenses.

Good statement. I like this style!

this is an basic thing which anyone which install a class D or T amplifier should know, otherwise i can assume that the level of knowledge might not be adequate to install the board properly and smoke can come out very soon . . . i believe that who ask this questions will not be able to successfully use the module
Welcome to the world of DIY, where people who don't own even a multi-meter imagine that they can buy a box of parts and assemble an amplifier. And it's your fault if it doesn't work . . .

There must be an on-line "introduction to electronics" site somewhere that they could be pointed to . . .

Hi Christi
I have just purchased a Hifimediy t4 and a Connexelectronic SMPS300R 48V 230V.
I have connected the mains plug as advised

When you hold the psu with mains terminal in front of you, from left to right : Earth, Neutral, Live.

I then connected the negative out and positive out to the first 2 pins on the T4. plugged it in and nothing happens. I am assuming there would be some hum from the smps but it is silent. no lights come on on the t4 board.
I do not have any equipment to test either boards. Is there an easy way to test they are working?
Have I done anything wrong?

Hi Cristi

I use 2 smps500r +-50v to power two ta3020 board.
These board needs 2 différents voltage :
- +/- 50v (vcc)
- 10/15v (vn10) 250mA

I think using the aux power supply of the smps, but i have to manage the potentiel like this

vcc ___ vn10 ___ vn10
-50v ___ 0 _____ -12
-38 ___ 12 _____ 0
+50v

To do this I need to align the potentiel of -50v(vcc) and 0v(aux) or -12v(aux)
connecting -50v with 0v(aux) or -12v(aux)

Is that possible without blowing the alim ?
regards

Last edited:
Jaques,

Two smps500R can be used to supply two TA3020 amplifier boards, in a non-standard configuration. first of all you must be very careful how you connect them. i will try to explain how to do it, if is unclear i can draw a schematic.
Each SMPS500R main output will supply the V+ and V- for each module, then the Vnn+10 should be supplied for both amps only from one SMPS500R aux. output voltage, because, very important !!! this voltage is referenced to Vnn, not to GND !!! then the other SMPS500R will provide the +5V to GND for both amplifiers after the voltage is regulated using either a classic 7805 regulator or a better performance regulator integrated or discrete.

remember, you must be very careful how you connect all the boards, otherwise smoke and fireworks can come out instead of sound. :) also, both power supplies must operate to provide all the voltages, if one of them is on and the other one off, both amps will not work since one of the bias voltages will not be present.

please read carefully, and only proceed if you fully understand.

Hello Christi,

Could you please provide size details regarding the SMPS2000R supplies. I'm looking for width, height and length in order to determine what case to order.

Thanks.
2011-07-09_1405.png

SMSP300R height is less than 36mm.
not if I can still read and understand English.
description on the web page says "32 to 40mm tall depending on the voltage version and capacitors used". I'm aiming at 35-75V symmetrical supply, the higher the voltage the better and planning on using 1U case (40 mm). trimming excess height off capacitors with a grinder just doesn't count as an option for me...

Last edited:
not if I can still read and understand English.
description on the web page says "32 to 40mm tall depending on the voltage version and capacitors used". I'm aiming at 35-75V symmetrical supply, the higher the voltage the better and planning on using 1U case (40 mm). trimming excess height off capacitors with a grinder just doesn't count as an option for me...
I measured mine.

In other words, you ask Cristi what is the highest voltage capacitor he has with D=16mm and H lower than 35mm ;) This will be a custom 300R anyway as the max stock version is 45V.

If height is an issue and you don't want to sacrifice capacitor value, you can add larger ones, laying beetween smps and amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.