SFU (Vancouver area) Acoustics Festival 2015 - January

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The time has come again to start discussing the SFU Acoustics Festival this coming January 30th 2015 at Simon Fraser University (Burnaby BC, Canada). Last year was a great success for our inaugural year, and we're looking to double the size and scope this year. A handful of companies have confirmed already and we've put out a call for academic posters on a wide range of audio-related subjects. However, last year there was a distinct lack of DIY enthusiasts in attendance and we'd love to fix that. We're thinking of creating a small DIY loudspeaker contest but we're not sure if that'll step on the Puget Sound contest's toes or even be well received/attended by the general DIY community. After all, there's no point in a contest if only one or two submit. So we're looking to hear from the community about what they'd be interested in seeing this year and what would draw them out to attend such a fun multifaceted event?

Should there be a raffle draw? Should there be a loudspeaker contest with prizes? Should there be really interesting guest lecturers? Should there be more variety of local company booths? Should there be a large selection of academics talking about audio topics? What would bring YOU out to the festival?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I wasn't able to make it last year but maybe this year. I have a larger set of Cornucopyas that might go well but I have no way to get them there unless the weather is clear.

As far as what would get me there is this invitation. As far as what you could improve, I have no idea without having seen last year.

Raffles are good, so is food and beverage. Girls jumping out of cakes can be fun too.

I don't think a speaker contest is necessary. I am more apt to bring mine for the fun of it rather than to compete.

I was just about to sit down and finally get all the press releases rolling out for this festival. We've been quite busy the past few weeks getting grants written for it, sorting out logistic bookings, booking companies, academic poster presenters, and guest lecturers. The festival is really starting to shape up into a bigger and better event than last year.

First, the location. The festival will be in the Applied Science Building (ASB) of SFU's Burnaby campus, which can be seen in quadrant I-30 of this campus map: http://www.sfu.ca/fs/files/Campus_Profile/Campus_Maps/sfu_campus_map_2013_14x8_handout_color.pdf
You'll notice it's right next to the large parking lot B and very close to the main bus loop.

The schedule of the event will be as follows:
10:30-2:30 Industry Showcase (ASB atrium)
10:30-2 Listening Room (ASB 9896)
11-1 Academic poster presentations (ASB atrium)
2:30-5:30 Guest Lecturers (ASB 9896)

There will be some refreshments served and the event is free to attend. The main goal of the event is for educational purposes, networking, and general hobbyist fun. Many people last year were very pleased with the event and multiple companies have confirmed their return this year, along with a few new ones.

The Listening Room is open to DIY builders to bring their speakers to show off and for others to enjoy. If you would like to bring some speakers to let people listen to, please send me a quick message and I'll fill you in further on the details of that room. This room grew out of an understanding that last year the excessively reverberant atrium space wasn't the best for auditioning equipment brought to the industry showcase. I anticipate both industry and DIY builders to bring some equipment - I'll certainly bring a few pairs of speakers myself.

Here is this years poster which is already making appearances across the campuses of SFU and other local institutions:

2015.png

You can also invite friends along via our Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/675755935854903/

Oh, we've also been thinking of doing an after-event social at one of the campus watering holes, but we weren't sure if people would want to stick around for that. I figured I'd throw it out to the community and see if there's interest first before planning that addition.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.