SFU (Vancouver area) Acoustics Festival 2015 - January

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This year our guest lecturers include Murray Hodgson from UBC, Barry Truax from SFU, and a surprise lecturer from industry.

Murray Hodgson will be speaking on:
Architectural and engineering acoustics at UBC -- this talk will review the interdisciplinary activities of the UBC Acoustics & Noise Research Group, directed by the author, its context, mission, facilities, current membership, as well as recent and current research projects and their applications to consulting and service projects.* Brief details will be given of a few key projects, such as:* teacher exposure to noise in high-school Tech-Ed shops, optimal design of natural-ventilation-opening silencers, subjective and objective evaluation of acoustical environments in health-care office facilities, improving the sound absorption of CLT panels using Helmholtz resonators, beam-tracing prediction of room sound fields. The UBC NSERC CREATE Sustainable Building Science Program, lead by the author will also be briefly introduced.

Barry Truax will be speaking on:

Interacting with inner and outer complexity.* The two extremes of the world of sound*— the*inner*domain of microsound where frequency and time are interdependent, and the*external*world of sonic complexity, namely the soundscape*— are discussed as they are intertwined in the author’s work.

Murray Robert Hodgson, PhD CEng FASA – short biography:
Dr. Hodgson is Professor of Acoustics in the School of Population and Public Health and in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada. He is the Director of the Acoustics and Noise Research Group [hodgson-lab.mech.ubc.ca] and of the UBC NSERC CREATE Sustainable Building Science Program [sbsp.ubc.ca]. Dr. Hodgson graduated from Queen's University with a B. Sc. (Hons) in Physics and Mathematics. He obtained an M. Sc. in Sound and Vibration Studies and a Ph.D. in Acoustical Engineering from the Institute for Sound and Vibration Research (ISVR), University of Southampton, UK. He is a Chartered Engineer (CEng) with the UK Engineering Council and a Fellow of the Acoustical Society of America. Dr. Hodgson's major professional expertise and research interests are in architectural and engineering acoustics, with particular interests in the acoustics of industrial workshops, classrooms and other workrooms, in computer room-
prediction modeling, active and passive noise control, auralization, and in acoustical environments in sustainably-designed buildings. He teaches acoustics and noise control to undergraduate and graduate students in engineering, physics and occupational and environmental health/hygiene. He is the author of over 100 refereed journal articles and 250 conference papers in acoustics.

Barry Truax is a Professor in the School of Communication (and formerly the School for the Contemporary Arts) at Simon Fraser University where he teaches courses in acoustic communication and electroacoustic music. He worked with the World Soundscape Project, editing its*Handbook for Acoustic Ecology, and has published a book*Acoustic Communication*dealing with sound and technology. As a composer, Truax is best known for his work with the PODX computer music system which he has used for tape solo works, music theatre pieces and those with live performers or computer graphics. In 1991 his work,*Riverrun, was awarded the Magisterium at the International Competition of Electroacoustic Music in Bourges, France. Truax’s multi-channel soundscape compositions are frequently featured in concerts and festivals around the world.

I got there with my 4' tall plastic speakers. Bob from CSS was setup but I got there too late to hear much. Wanted to for a potential upcoming project. One of the most interesting parts of the seminars, in my opinion, was how they recorded a ballon pop in some Italian cathedral and manage to splice that to a recording of a voice to sound like it was in the cathedral.

In case you haven't seen it at CAM

Attachments

• Photo158s.jpg
    Photo158s.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 83
Had the comment about the bar stool before. Had to have some wood on 'em. Recycled Ikea table. MDF squeezed into the pipe under that.

Rather than repeat myself... Plastic speakers - DIY • Canuck Audio Mart

The PVC was "donated" along with the fibreglass pipe insulation on the inside. If you have any questions, I'ld be happy to try to answer.

Now that I got these back and I've got a few more tools, planning to redo the crossover but it's similar to what I did later with these, except in an external box ... This gets a little weird - DIY • Canuck Audio Mart

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.