DIY OTTAWA WINTER 2012 - Page 28 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Clubs & Events

Clubs & Events Audio related organizations and events

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2012, 03:39 PM   #271
diyAudio Member

Just a note to Dave (Planet 10)
Didn't expect to see you contributing to our Ottawa get-together thread, but thanks for the encouragement, and you would certainly be welcome.

And if you didn't happen to notice - post 213 mentions you & one of your designs which I got my son to follow for his 1st DIY build (high school project). We didn't use the proper driver, but as you'll notice, it makes sound (and he's now interested in doing more).

- Ron
Old 9th February 2012, 03:40 PM   #272
diyAudio Member

Headphone listening:

I was one of the guys who pushed for the inclusion of a headphone listening “quiet” period in the scheduling, so I better report on that:

There were 2 “tables” that were set-up for different comparisons. One table basically kept the source & headphone constant, so that DAC’s & amps could be compared - please check post #228 for more info on that. Unfortunately, I didn’t get around to listening to that set-up.
I listened/participated on the other table, which involved less controlled comparisons. I brought an old portable CD player as my source, into a Little Dot 1+ (tubed) headphone amp (that’s a retail product, not a DIY build), along with several headphones… the HiFiMan HE-300 seemed to be the most common partner.
MrSlim brought a laptop source, into his Gamma2 DAC build, & then into one of 2 headphone amps he built i.e. the Cavalli Kumisa and the Objective 2 (O2) …the O2 saw the most action; MrSlim & others brought along several headphones.

I didn’t compare all the headphones that were brought, though I think a couple of guys did get through a bunch of them, and hopefully they’ll post. FYI - verbal comments to me indicated that those guys favoured the HE-300. From the other phones that I did try myself, I’d say that the Shure SRH940 would be the headphones I liked best (after the HE-300’s).

Mini-review: I bought the (1st gen) HE-300’s, used, fairly recently (if I was buying new, I’d probably go through HeadDirect, since I think they’re the authorized seller). These are the entry-level dynamic design, and reviews seem to indicate that their notable strength or drawback (depending on preference) is warm midrange. I’ve mostly been pleased with their sonic character, but sometimes I think that I’d like to get a little more upper treble information. However, since I’m running them through a tube amp (& tube systems are often characterized for “warm” midrange), I was wondering if my set-up was compounding the warmth.

So I swapped the Little Dot out & the O2 amp in. I would have to say that I thought that I was getting more upper treble information with the O2, and I don’t think that anything else was lost in the process. So, thankyou MrSlim, for bringing the O2 – it does seem to be a very nice little headphone amp for the DIY community, and I’m glad that I got a chance to try it.
Old 9th February 2012, 07:56 PM   #273
diyAudio Member

Mark, what kind of sensitivity would I expect from two of those VWR drivers in parallel rather than four in series-parallel? And how low / what order did that css planar cross to get the kind of dynamics you get?

I need a mid in a 3-way that will do about 93db to mate to an AE TD12X near 3-400hz.

Last edited by RockLeeEV; 9th February 2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 9th February 2012, 07:59 PM   #274
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

Ah many questions. But I'll answer one. THe rest are a bit not so easy to answer.

Two VWR's will get you 89 db/watt.

The planar ( yes I know it a second question ) can be crossed over above 15 hertz with the correct steep order crossover.
Old 9th February 2012, 10:03 PM   #275
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronu9400 View Post
And if you didn't happen to notice - post 213 mentions you & one of your designs which I got my son to follow for his 1st DIY build (high school project). We didn't use the proper driver, but as you'll notice, it makes sound (and he's now interested in doing more).
I did note that Ron, and just from the front, i have had, or still have at least one of the drivers you use. ML-TLs are pretty tolerant and its good to see people trying out other drivers.

dave
Old 11th February 2012, 01:01 PM   #276
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I have seen them, any larger and they won't fit thru the mounting holes.

dave
Indeed. I see information is becoming available on these drivers. It seems they are the VWR126X. (Apologies if this has been posted already).

Last edited by PierreQuiRoule; 11th February 2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12th February 2012, 08:31 PM   #277
diyAudio Member

Mark Kravchenko’s CSS speakers:

Mark has brought some interesting speakers to our past get-togethers, and this one was no different…actually he probably raised the bar. I understand that he came up with the design concept a few months ago, but he threw it together just before our get-together, so everybody including him was hearing these for the first time. We were all impressed.

As mentioned, it used multiples of a prototype CSS driver, but since some posts are mentioning a part #, they might be available before too long; I think that the ribbon tweeter may be available now, but someone else can clarify. Although I wouldn’t expect much bass from these relatively small drivers, the truth is that there was lots of bass (c/r other posts). I understand that the interior of Mark’s cabinet uses some variation of horn-loading (maybe look at the # of panels/folds in the interior design for the Exodus Anarchy tapped horn for a very rough comparison), with a mouth opening at the bottom back. A digital crossover was used at our get-together & the cross-over point was adjusted a bit during the course of our listening, but all-in-all, it was pretty remarkable to hear these things in action when Mark admits that construction didn’t get underway until days before our meeting.

Mark’s test CD’s included some pipe organ (of course), which demonstrated bass prowess; some other classical demonstrated dynamics, and transient response; requests were taken, so we also heard them perform rock (Pink Floyd, etc.). I found a Holly Cole selection a bit harsh in spots…arguably a characteristic of her voice, so I wasn’t certain if that was the performance or the speaker; in any case, the crossover point was tweaked a bit after that, and I think that the overall presentation from the speakers improved slightly due to that adjustment. Later, I got to move closer to the “ideal” listening location, to hear a few selections that I’m familiar with – from Shostakovich’s 5th (Bernstein), vocalist Roberta Gambarini (So In Love), and Kate Bush (Hounds). I heard a good amount of detail, speed, and all the instruments and voices seemed to be there…I didn’t pick up on any particular colouration.

Despite modest amplifier requirements (c/r other posts), volume was louder than I typically hear at home, and certainly room-filling (i.e. no “break-up” despite playing plenty loud). I think I’d have to hear the speakers under better conditions before reaching my final decision about their level of detail (since I’ve been listening to headphones lately, I’ve been “spoiled” by hearing little details in recordings), and “imaging” qualities (the meeting room was mostly hard surfaces, and I don’t think that the speakers were “finely-tuned” w.r.t. placement). However, I’m aware that probably 95% of my home listening is not from the “sweet spot”, so even I have to take my inconclusive comments about critical listening with a grain of salt.

Ultimately, I know that these speakers are still under development, but I heard enough to suspect that these speakers will be “keepers” once they are available. Kudos to Mark and CSS.
Old 13th February 2012, 02:38 PM   #278
Mark Kravchenko
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your review Ron. Very fair and informative.

What I can clarify is that the drivers are all available from Bob as of this weekend. They are no longer prototypes.
Old 14th February 2012, 12:52 AM   #279
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronu9400 View Post
Headphone listening:
[...]

I didn’t compare all the headphones that were brought, though I think a couple of guys did get through a bunch of them, and hopefully they’ll post.
Nice review, Ron. Thank you. This headphone comparison session was a great way to start the day. My brother Daniel tried many of them, and the two he liked best are the Denon AH-D2000 and your HE-300. I did not get to try the Denon, but among those that I tried I too preferred your HE-300. They had real bass and were very comfortable.

Pierre
Old 17th February 2012, 07:13 PM   #280
diyAudio Member

Default CSS LD25X Tweeter thread

Hi,
For those of you interested in the new tweets, there's a thread with measurements:
Report on the New CSS LD25X Tweeter - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video, and Electronics Customer Discussion Forum From Parts-Express.com

bearberry

Hide this!Advertise here!