4th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2007

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
pinkmouse said:
Just noticed jackinnj has registered. Perhaps we should name it World DIY2007. :)

pinkmouse said:
I'm still waiting for the Canadians...

It is interesting that this has come up....The 1st date that has popped up for the 4th annual Vancouver Island diyFEST is the weekend of July 28 -- the same as UKdiy07. I wonder if the same date is a good idea or whether it could be exploited for global promotion of diy (an austral-asia event on the same weekend would give 3 concurrent diy events spaced 8 hours apart around the world).

Tying the events together using the internet could turn these events into the start of World diyFEST.

The UK event seems more formal with all the presentations & such, if preperation were made ahead of time, these could also be made available to the VI event in close to real time, and provided for general consumption by diyers everywhere.

Might even poke us to come up with a presentation or 2.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
EC8010 said:
B]Everyone[/B] waits for the Canadians - they're so laid back they're almost horizontal. I visited Toronto

Keep in mind the TO is probably the most hectic & frenzied place in Canada. People from TO think Vancouver is laid back (& clean), & people from Victoria think Vancouver is hectic & call it the big smoke.

Sounds like when you make it here, we'll have to give you a valium (or the local natural equivalent) to give you a head start in getting down to speed :)

dave

July 28th sounds great to me :)

Presentations? You mean we're going to become more than a group that just drinks beer and trades jokes with Terry? :confused: :clown:

3 days should be about right for us westcoast Canucks to do what takes the European's 8 hours or so to get done :D

Cheers!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: CDN Beer

SCD said:
They fall in love with Canada and Canadians and want to stay. "Oh it is so beautiful here" and "You people are so laid back and lovable" etc you know the story.

:)

And even Canadians come to Vancouver Island and don't want to go home... my brother came for a weelend & stayed 6 months, and i can't count the number that came for a visit and only went home long enuff to pack...

dave

unimportant trivia

Vancouver Island 32,134 km^2 with ~ 600k people (18 2/3 people per km^2)
UK 244,820 km^2 with ~ 61M people (249 people per km^2)

Dave and all the crew in Northern Cascadia,

I talked to Kevin Haskins this evening and it looks like we can make it early Saturday (I'll probably spend Friday night at Chateau Haskins, it's a pretty hectic drive to Pt. Angeles after work on Fridays). Kevin's got some stuff for "Show and Tell" and I'll try to have a finished project to show to Chris, at least if the shock won't be too much for him. If you think otherwise, let me know and I'll just go with my normal routine and build the whole thing there!

:devilr:

Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Best Regards,
TerryO
PS: What are we going to use now that Cal's "Pee Tree" fell over?

:D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
TerryO said:
Dave and all the crew in Northern Cascadia,

I talked to Kevin Haskins this evening and it looks like we can make it early Saturday (I'll probably spend Friday night at Chateau Haskins, it's a pretty hectic drive to Pt. Angeles after work on Fridays). Kevin's got some stuff for "Show and Tell" and I'll try to have a finished project to show to Chris, at least if the shock won't be too much for him. If you think otherwise, let me know and I'll just go with my normal routine and build the whole thing there!

:devilr:

Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Best Regards,
TerryO
PS: What are we going to use now that Cal's "Pee Tree" fell over?

:)

Good to here you'll be coming & dragging Kevin along with you (i was just talking with a local last night about one of Kevin's amps and i'm sure he'll be thrilled to touch flesh.

As to pee trees, there are still lots left, you'll just need to venture a bit deeper into the forest (and watch out for the killer house cats)

dave

PS: looks like the 4th annual VI diyFEST has started already --- i'll break it off soon.

Vikash has also been kind enuff to do a clone of the UK event's website and i'll post a URL as soon as i've had a chance to make it look like the Pacific Northwest.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: close to 6000 km across the continent

loek said:
No way...
It is only about 800km if i go through the tunnel......

The event with the generator is on the left coast of North America just spitting distance from the Pacific Ocean.

I'd think a bit of hitch-hiking on the Queen something-or-other would be preferable to a trek across siberia :)

dave

The weather. I've got about hundred relatives who left this dump to go live in Washington state, talk about dumb and dumber genes.

Did they at least bring their umbrella's? :)

Is there something in the water in BC and Seattle that produces so many audio fanatics ?

Or is it an excess of beer, lack of women or isolation from civilisation ?

Or excess of other local product :D

Re: BC and Seattle - Audio Fanatic Hotspot.

poynton said:
Is there something in the water in BC and Seattle that produces so many audio fanatics ?

No, were just cheap and creative. Saves money for beer.

Or is it an excess of beer, [/B]

Hey, I resemble that remark.

lack of women or [/B]

Nope, no lack of them creatures. Ow, I just got smacked by the one looking over my shoulder.

isolation from civilisation ?[/B]

Could be. There's only about 9 million people between here and Seattle. It's pretty desolate.

Re: Re: BC and Seattle - Audio Fanatic Hotspot.

planet10 said:

No lack of that... and i have the bootmarks on my tongue to prove it...

dave

I agree, i moved from victoria B.C the Ratio HOT GURLS to boys is like 8 1 I am not kidding victoria is ovr populated with gurls for nursing and other studies from around the world.

On another note, i signed up to this link 1st post from pink mouse so i can have a brows of the equipment that will be shown. Id really like to see some one take lots of detailed pictures of every ones designs and equipment.

J'

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.