4th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2007

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
This thread started out over here...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94337&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

(I did leave most of the discussion of Canadian beer, the nice weather and the lovely women back there)

VI diyFEST number 4 will be held on Sat July 28 at its usual spot up on the side of Mount Finlayson on the outskirts of Victoria. BC. This is the same day as the fledgling UK diy event and the idea of having some cross-contamination leading to future events held world-wide on the same day has gotten a spark.

http://p10hifi.net/planet10/forum/iBone-mtn-map.gif

Events & attendance will likely spill over onto the day before & after as has happened in the previous years. Things typically get rolling between 10-11 in the morning.

There is lots of room to pitch a tent, or throw a sleeping bag on the deck or in the living room. Bed & breakfast can be found fairly close, and it is a lovely 20 minute drive from Victoria where a much larger selection of motels can be found.

We can also arrange to pick up people at the airport or ferry terminal(s).

I will be putting up a little web-site, i don't know if it will get as fancy as Vikash's for the UK event, but who knows.

Do let me know if you plan on attending so i can at least ensure enuff food (you have to bring your own beer, etc, and are welcome to bring your own favorite for the barbie) or if you have any special dietary requirements.

If you are allergic to cats bring your anti-histamine.

This is the link to last years event's thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81260

This years will be much the same but hopefully we will be even better prepared and i do expect larger attendance.

dave

Hey, I'm thinking of coming this year. How does this thing work? Are some people camping? What's a better idea, flying in and out through Victoria, or travelling through Van and staying with a friend and only coming to the big isle for Sat.? Weren't the ferries outrageously slow on the long weekend last year?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
leadbelly said:
I'm thinking of coming this year. How does this thing work? Are some people camping? What's a better idea, flying in and out through Victoria, or travelling through Van and staying with a friend and only coming to the big isle for Sat.? Weren't the ferries outrageously slow on the long weekend last year?

It works however it works :) This has been a typically very informal event...

The last couple years Scott has at least camped. More people just brought a roll up foamy (or in Cal's case, his own air bed), and crash on the deck (front (covered) or back (uncovered)) or the living room floor... we have an odd one we can dig up as well.

If you can get to the airport (i'm thinking there is still a direct flight from Calgary) or onto the ferry (there is never a problem if you are a foot passenger) we can get you at this end.

As the event draws nearer i'm sure some car-pooling from Vancouver could be happening, with guys from the lower mainland & up from WA state. Car-pooling can be as simple as meeting someone on the ferry...

dave

planet10 said:
It works however it works :) This has been a typically very informal event...

OK, thanks for all the info Dave. I'll start talking to my buddy, keeping my eye on the seat sales, and see what falls into place. If it works out, I'd like to spend a 2nd day sightseeing. And if you still have a couple of those Sony OPT's left I'll try to wrangle them off you in person. :)

Hello fellows:
Just a little bump.

I thought I would let you know that I plan on bringing down a new little something for your listening pleasure.
I am not ready to let the cat out yet but I think it will look and sound pretty nice if all goes according to plan. If things go off track, I will bring beer anyway so it really wont matter what it sounds like as long as the beer is cold.

See you in July

Hey Leadbelly, another fellow Calgarian, great to see, PM me and maybe we can travel out together.

I too am also interested in making the trek across B.C. I have never been to Victoria so i am kind of planning a holiday out of the week before or after july 26 (maybe both weeks, who knows). how many people roughly are going to be at this event. I am sort of a newbie to the group, no one is going to make too much fun of my projects, right???? hahaha

Looking forward to it

drummer_Dave said:
Hey Leadbelly, another fellow Calgarian, great to see, PM me and maybe we can travel out together.

Sounds good. I already bought my tickets a few weeks ago when the $49 seat sale was on. I'm flying in to Van on Fri. for my annual fill up of first rate sushi, then planning to take the ferry Sat. morning. Now the hard part is motivating myself to finish a new amp to bring :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.