The future of Lone Star Audio Fest (LSAF)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
...I want this show to grow and succeed - feels like we need a direction and maybe that direction needs to squeeze out the DIY guys. It's a hobby and a passion for us, but it is not our livelihood.

Squeeze out the DIY guys? Wouldn't LSAF lose it's appeal and become just another trade show?

As a newbie to LSAF I don't know what previous years were like, but I can tell you my perception is that 2014 totally lacked any kind of critical mass online. The only expectation I had was from threads for the previous years, mostly on diyAudio. I didn't find a thread for 2014 here, and few people were on the other social and forum sites talking about the new things they were bringing to LSAF 2014.

My humble opinion is if you start the 2015 thread now, the buzz will build. Anticipation will set in, and the event as you knew it will be rejuvenated.

I do like the idea of using the larger rooms on the first floor for vinyl and parts vendors. A swap meet area might also work and could attract audio bargain hunters who would provide the vendors a chance to up-sell to these audio neophytes.

Another thing I thought about last weekend as I roamed room to room was to do a contest for the top 3 DIY setups. Provide participants and attendees with voting sheets for their favorite rooms and award the top 3 with prizes on Sunday morning. You could use part of the registration fee idea and some vendor donations to fund the prizes. That would garner enthusiasm for more DIYers to show up and setup rooms, which would in turn provide support for the vendors.

Last edited:
As I said on the LSAF FB page, this is the status quo for this show. It always gets discussed every year. Move the show, advertise, start a thread now, push out the DIY's (remember that the guy who started the show may have a speaker business, but it's not his livelihood). There was one year we weren't even going to do it because everyone wanted to "help", but no one stepped to the plate. I know I've had numerous discussions with people in past years when I was able to attend or helping organize and it's always the exact same complaints and ideas. If you want it to be big, then big money is going to have to be spent. I know I talked to David over at Audiokarma about how they organized their show and his comment was he wrote a check with a bunch of zeros at the end. I wonder how many of you remember Wayne being hit year after year with multi-thousand dollar hotel charges that he had to fight for unfilled rooms. There is a lot more that goes into putting the show on as it is than most people realize. Yes, a lot of it is people just show up, but a lot of the regulars that have been there year in and year out know better, IMO. The thing is this, you have to decide if you want it big and costly, or if you want it small and intimate like it is most years. The problem is this: the exhibitors that currently show can't ever seem to decide and come to a consensus.

Just my $0.02 for now, unless you want to make me rant some more :)

Diy HAS to stay. Heck, 2 of my friends got rooms and setup THIER PERSONAL SYSTEMS just for others to enjoy. It is an audiofest. We are unique! Everything from DIY to mainstream. Something for everyone!

I agree. It's the DIY stuff that I always went for. Fred's cheap n' cheerful rooms, Wayne's kits, and John Busch's OB speakers before he started selling them. It's the stuff I can afford. I loved the more expensive stuff, but I'll never buy it.

Lone Star is a 2650 mile round-trip for me, and when you factor in roughly a week's lost work + a week's worth of hotels, the cost/benefit ratio is upside down. But we've got our house on the market and will be moving to the north-of-Dallas area, so that will change.

Until then, the geography is too much against me.

That being said, Lone Star is more of a fun show than a "promote my business and make money" show. Which I think is the intention, and that's fine, but it also means that Lone Star is not as high a priority for my business as Rocky Mountain is.

I do look forward to the day when it's practical for me to attend, whether the show is in Dallas or Austin. All you hard-core DIYers need some industry guys there so that you can kick our sonic butts with your hyper-engineered over-tweaked unobtainium yet ridiculously inexpensive mad scientist homebrew systems.

And I really like Wayne's vision of the role Lone Star can play for a would-be manufacturer who is on the cusp:

"... it has been my experience that DIYers motivated enough to show their gear in these kinds of shows often become niche-market manufacturers. Most (if not all) of the tube amplifier and many of the high-end speaker manufacturers started off this way. That's really what LSAF was for - To give the passionate craftsmen and small manufacturers a place to show their wares."

YES!!! You did that, Wayne. Your show did that. This little niche guy thanks you. LSAF was the first show I exhibited at (sharing a room with Earl back in '05). Soon as it's practical, I'll be back.

So... anybody want a good deal on a house in beautiful downtown Preston Idaho? For you Napoleon Dynamite aficionados, it's just two blocks from Pedro's house and two blocks from the high school. And if you buy my house, all of your wildest dreams will come true.

Last edited:
"... it has been my experience that DIYers motivated enough to show their gear in these kinds of shows often become niche-market manufacturers. Most (if not all) of the tube amplifier and many of the high-end speaker manufacturers started off this way. That's really what LSAF was for - To give the passionate craftsmen and small manufacturers a place to show their wares."

YES!!! You did that, Wayne. Your show did that. This little niche guy thanks you. LSAF was the first show I exhibited at (sharing a room with Earl back in '05). Soon as it's practical, I'll be back.

Yep, me too. My first show was when I met Bob Spence a week before the event and he told me to bring along a pair of my DIY speakers to show in his room. That's what started it all for me!

Again, I think the key thing that will make a difference has NOTHING to do with money but rather keeping the buzz going during the year through social media. The biggest problem is that we don't get on people's calendars far enough in advance and by the time the show rolls around they either have other plans or simply forgot it was happening. Sure we will need a little bit of money for some signs and such but I don't think it will be a lot. There's 61 members in the Facebook group. If you haven't joined yet PLEASE do it! It's a powerful marketing tool that reaches out to people instead of people having to seek it out; that's the major difference. :D
https://www.facebook.com/groups/LoneStarAudioFest/

Last edited:
I think we need to bring the boat around and focus on the point of the thread and LSAF. There is no issue with "Big Audio" and profits. As Wayne and others have pointed out "Big Audio" is welcome and welcome to their profits, but are not the point of LSAF. The point of LSAF is that everyone is welcome.
What we need to do is find some structure to promoting and planning. I think we also need to consider a few extra rooms promoting a niche that allows for more than one vendor/DIYer in one room. For instance headphone amps or records. Each allows for several folks with similar self interests to share a room without stepping on each other's toes.
One other thing I wanted to throw out there is that the date, the first weekend of May, might be reconsidered. Axpona and the Newport audio fest nearly flank LSAF. I have already got emails from others that missed LSAF saying that Axpona was the priority. I also spoke with vendors at the show that complained that the date of LSAF was a problem and that coupled with the low attendance would keep them away next year. One mentioned he was heading to California and a few people mentioned that with money spent they would rather head to CA as well. Newport audio show T.H.E. Show is held from May 30 to June 1. I think if we get attendance up then THE Show wont really effect us much because its a month later but Axpona is only a weekend previous to LSAF and thats a huge amount of travel and money. Not only exhibitors go to Axpona... regular attendees also go to Axpona. Yes, even the DIY sort.
From my point of view, and to summarize, I think we need to
1. Get a group of maybe a half dozen LSAF Ambassadors.
2. Have Ambassadors put their heads together and come up with a master plan.
3. Ambassadors delegate responsibility between themselves and others expressing interest in helping.

Looks pretty unsophisticated and trivial, huh? I think this part is unsophisticated and trivial. What needs to happen is to actually start the ball rolling. Then the more involved steps will reveal themselves.
Who do I think the Ambassadors should be? I dont know everyone really well so if they would agree I would nominate the people that I do know and hope that they would agree.
1. Bruce and Rodney of Oddwatt
2. Steve Salazzo. I know I must have spelled it wrong.
3. Russ
4. Pete Millet and myself
5. Phillip
6. Last and most importantly Wayne

First, my putting this out there does not mean I want to be in charge. In fact I think this ought to be a collaboration so that the Woodstock effect still has a great influence. Second, I think Wayne has first and final say. Third, if my suggestions are adopted it doesnt mean that more people wouldnt be involved. For instance if Steve was in charge of drumming up individual attendee attendance rather than presenter/vendor attendance then he might ask Dave to help him design a strategy to reach these attendees.
Hope you guys agree or have a better idea you're willing to share.
Uriah

To All of my LSAF Friends,

A personal invite...

Next time I am in Dallas/Ft. Worth is going to be on Saturday, the 17th of May (11 days from now) the day before I take SE to the airport to go back to Seoul. He leaves on the morning of the 18th - but all day Saturday we are going to be getting together for good food & drink, and have a good long listening session of the Spirit 300B Reference Monoblocks and Silhouette Reference Preamplifier that Stereophile had in January, and came out with a review on this month. We all know how that went, so I would love another chance to have my buddies in the Northeast Texas area to really hear what they CAN do.

This system is owned by my good friend Van Waldrop of Colleyville and features also a pair of 104.5dB Volti Audio Vittora horn speakers, which is exactly how they should be listened to. He also has a great vinyl rig. This rig has been running flawlessly for well over a years now! So it is nicely broken in...

I sure would love it if all of my Dallas area friends and audiophile acquaintances would/could come by and join us for a few hours, say 5pm until 9pm or any time during that time slot. I would also like to give SE the send off that he deserves for designing these great amps before he goes back home for a few weeks. He has really never had a chance to meet my audio friends like he should, and it is important to us that people hear how good the 300B amps sound on the right speakers and in a good room. Everyone is invited so PLEASE contact me as soon as possible for a spot. The room is a large one, enough to accommodate 12-18 people.

Hopefully we can all talk a bit about the LSAF situation and come up with some ideas, and get some commitments laid out.

Once again, that is Saturday, May 18th, 5 until 9pm, in Colleyville, Texas

Thanks All!
Dave Thomson
Raven Audio
dave@ravenaudio.com

I wonder if putting a little placard in all of my audio shows nationwide would help at all? Since our company is 100% Texas and I have a serious love of this show, I am going to do it anyway, somewhere so that people notice.

We started out at LSAF with DIY type black steel and aluminum boxes and people welcomed us into the fold. I made lasting friends and want to save that experience. We could NEVER, ever, have done this type of room setup at any of the other audiophile shows.

I would seriously miss the Embassy Suites people that remember our names, our drinks, even our request to immediately put out the big list in the lobby for the room numbers and business names, and did so immediately with gusto~!

And though everyone must go down there and add their names and room numbers to that list for it to be viable.... they did it for us without hesitation! Otherwise people in the hotel would probably have not even known that there were rooms showing audio equipment during their stay at the hotel. It brought a few extras into our rooms anyway... and some of them had never even seen a vacuum tube, much less a relatively high end audio system! That was fun.

General hotel worker people have never been able to be quite that helpful at any of the other shows because they are just too large. The feel of this show is special, and so are the people throughout the whole experience. Not only the audio people, but the Embassy Suites employees. I seriously love that!

I'm going to do all I can to help promote this next year and welcome any suggestions or requests for donation.

RavenDave

Last edited:
I agree with Dave. And one thing I don't think we've mentioned is that not many hotels are constructed like the Dallas Embassy Suites. What I mean is, concrete walls. The ONLY reason we can get away with doing what we do at high volume levels (even late at night) is because the walls are concrete and you can't hear a damn thing in the next room over. Most other hotels would have a **** fit.

As I drove back to Houston Sunday, I wish I had created a guest list, it would have been as simple as a sign in page on the tablet we were using to control our music stream.

My be a suggestion to all so we can send out reminders for the next show or any updates for guests an possible clients.

Uriah, thanks for sending me the link to this thread. Also, thanks to all the folks who attended LSAF this year. I had a wonderful time! Got to visit with quite a few people who wanted to hear the small system we had, and check out our goodies. This was the first Lone Star Audio Fest I have attended. Even though, from what I heard, attendance was down from previous years, I feel it was a good show for us. Met lots of great folks, and really hope to see this continue. This year did not want to leave the room and miss anyone who might want to visit us, so did not get around much. Next year though, I need to bring my wife so I can visit more of the rooms and enjoy listening to more systems!

As far as the place to hold this, Dallas is a good choice for the reasons several have mentioned. Austin would of course be better for us, since we live here :) Whether y'all decide to move LSAF to Austin, or keep it in Dallas, I'll do everything I can to help out with whatever is needed.

I agree wholeheartedly about registration and a fee to do so for exhibitors like myself who are showing off our products. However, I don't think a fee to register for those who are setting up a system for folks to listen to should be mandatory. Maybe ask them for a voluntary donation, which I have a feeling most of the guys I know would be happy to do.

The Embassy Suites was a great place for LSAF. As someone mentioned earlier though, it would be very helpful to make it look like there was actually something going on. Banners and a LSAF organization presence in the main area, would be a help in creating the atmosphere of an audio event. We need to talk with whatever hotel is the venue and come up with a way to be able to hang up banners etc. Again, if any help is needed, please contact me.

Hope to see LSAF grow, and also hope everyone who is in the area will attend next year. I certainly did enjoy this tear, and look forward to LSAF 2015 :)

Regards,
Doug

LSAF

I failed you guys and gals. Polk wasn't there because I am no longer with Polk. I stayed busy working and tweaking my own design, and put no effort into promoting as I did in the past. We were missing a few heavy hitters. Pi, GR, Dodd, etc. That did hurt but shouldn't have stopped us. There are a lot of good ideas and thoughts here - and I think collectively we can be bigger and better than ever next year. This thread speaks volumes and I'm proud to be a part of this with you all.

Cheers,
Russ

First off, thanks for the invite to this thread.

Yes, we took this year off from LSAF. Sorry about that guys. And yes when we come we do bring a lot of other companies along that exhibit with us. I think we have exhibited three different years and have had as many as three rooms one year. Exhibiting with us has been Dodd Audio, P.I. Audio, db Audio Labs, Virtue Audio, Electra Cable, Carnegie Acoustics, and I feel like I am missing a few others...

We also invite along guys like the site owner and reviewers from Home Theater Shack and a few other press guys and many guests from other states. So I know us not showing up this year was a hit to attendance.

So why weren't we there?

Well, there was a slight drop off in walk in attendance last year. There were a fair amount of exhibitors last year, but not too many people came. And those that came were not buys. I can see the same trend at RMAF as well. People come to see what's new, but not to buy a lot of products. The economy has delivered some hard licks to the audio industry plane and simple. For example: The Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex area has one of the largest populations in the country. Yet, I can count the number of audio stores in the area on one hand and have fingers left over. And that is because there aren't enough customers. I know, the economy is a separate issue, but it is effecting the industry a LOT, and small shows like LSAF.

We have enjoyed LSAF especially the people and camaraderie. But from a business standpoint it just doesn't make a lot of sense. To much cost involved in taking a week off, travel, hotels, exhibit rooms, fuel cost, etc just for the fun of it. The show has to be bigger and involve more show goers to justify it. From a business standpoint it has to be profitable.

My advise to save the show is really four fold.

First of all, keep the good part. It needs to be a free DIY show for anyone that wants to come and show their home made goodies. Let them pay the hotel for the room cost only just as always. But the show can't sustain itself or grow if it is only for the hobbyist. You have to draw the manufacturers and businesses that promote it and bring in the foot traffic.

Secondly, and for example: I spend over 5k each year exhibiting at RMAF. Why? Because there are over 2,500 people there, and we draw a ton of them to our room. Plus the online and print magazines give our room a ton of coverage and best sounding room awards every year. So I don't mind paying for something that has value. All that to say I wouldn't mind spending some money to cover promotion and advertising of the event. Have the manufacturers pay a registration fee to help promote it.

And the cost to exhibit verses promotion costs needs to be well balanced. Cost to the manufacturers has to be small enough to still catch the small companies, but promotion has to be big enough to draw the larger crowds needed to draw companies our size and larger.

Thirdly, someone really needs to run it. I mean take charge of it and run it, promote it, and advertise it all over the country. Maybe a big online print magazine like the Absolute Sound would like to take it over and make it their own. Their number one competitor (Stereophile) already has their own shows.

The last thing is, have it a little earlier in the year to avoid the dates of other shows elsewhere in the country.

Well said Danny! Well said.

It really doesn't take a whole lot of money to change the attendance a LOT. Advertise small, and if everyone paid a 20$ admission for the weekend, and exhibitors paid about $100 (or maybe more if y'all can stand me saying it without giving me a hard time!), would that destroy the feel of the show?

Maybe let people buy a key card or something for $20 to get upstairs, but those rooms downstairs would have to notice that the people should have a badge or something I guess.

Would it being funded well enough help entice someone that knows what they are doing to run it for us, and hit all of the social media spots and help arrange some small banner ads?

It's just an idea that has decent merit. I'm in for more than that if anyone is interested!

Cheers,
RavenDave

Last edited:
Dave, thanks for the response.

I'd keep it free for attendees and hobbyist showing off their creations. Those are the people that we need to come the most. There is no show without those guys. They are our customers.

$100 per manufacturer is nothing if it gets people to come. If it were as big as the Axpona show or even 1/4 the size of RMAF I'd gladly pay double that with a smile and it would still be cheap show.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.