The future of Lone Star Audio Fest (LSAF)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Or get off the pot

I need to know who is going to do something with LSAF. I'm happy enough to promote a record show, just to be a record show. I certainly get more out of the software than yet another power cable, or rearrangement of a Mullard circuit. The only reason I got into the hobby is to hear the records better. If nobody is willing to put in some effort (after I volunteered in message number 2 of this thread to do whatever it took), then I'll have a record show for the hell of it. But I need to know, so I can either continue promoting it, or remove all references to LSAF.

I don't care that it could be in another state, or country, or a different date, or in a smaller venue, or a bigger venue, or just DIY, or just this, or that, or whatever. The date and location has been decided. With something like a billion square feet available, it can be every single segment of software, hardware, and the constituent elements. If we want to start with quarks on the first floor, and have ambisonics and home theater on the top floor, then super!

In the past year, I introduced a Chinese cartridge company to a Swiss stylus manufacturer, and now I'm importing one of the best cartridges made, at a bargain price. So, if I can work with people on two other continents, that speak English as their 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th) language, I should be able to help advertise/market/promote a simple audio show that is basically free.

So, before April of 2015, let's start working on this. If you don't want the help, or you don't like me, then say so, so I'll stop wasting my time. If the silence is deafening, I'll put a fork in it.

Regards,
Phillip

Phillip, like I said in an earlier post, this is what usually happens. It's the reason I only tried to organize it for two years. The first year had a poor turnout due to the economy tanking that year (all audio show attendances were down), but did well the second year. It really has always been about DIY niche stuff and not sales. People have tried to push it that direction for years, but it's never worked out.

I wish I could actually make it to one now, but alas, scheduling is a PITA that time of year for me.

Good luck!

LSAF

The record show was a failure. I couldn't even get local dealers interested. Apparently, since the Austin Record Show is 2 weeks later, they weren't interested. One said "if it were the week before, or after, you could attract people coming (or going)." Not even friends I've known since the '80s were interested. So, either my ability to sell is completely dead, or eBay has killed off the marketability of local record shows.

Then there's the cost. I couldn't convince myself I had any way of recouping the $1K+. And, I finally got a real job, which meant committing to Saturday. Netting $22K doesn't quite get it done (at least I didn't go negative).

When I first posted, I had weeks of idle time to devote to working with somebody on this, but it never coalesced. That's just as much my fault as anyone else. It would've helped if I hadn't blown so much on advertising and RMAF.

So, no record show. When I asked about the progress of the LSAF, I didn't hear anything back. It reconfirms my feelings about Dallas (it continues to suck). My friends in Austin say "load up the truck and move to Austin", but it's an effing expensive zoo.

Good luck to everyone else.

Regards,
Phillip

The thing I remember about Austin was all the sweaty weirdos.
Like every air conditioner within a hundred miles simultaneously
imploded from the strain. Same time the air in my truck caved.

Not that they were any sweatier or weirder than from Dallas,
or myself. But bizarrely soaking wet yet sweaty and weird all
at once. That was Austin.

How they would carry Windex bottles (refilled with water) to
constantly mist the air about themselves. Indoors, outdoors.
To no good scientific effect, since punishing humidity utterly
prevented that trick from working.

If you want soggy weirdos handling your records, go there...
The weirdos in Dallas are a slightly dryer shade of sweaty.

Last edited:
Oh yeah. It's a big state with plenty to offer. Most of those "secret" places don't have much industry, so they make themselve exclusive. The higher, and further west you go, the cooler it is at night. Also, "The Valley" is comfortable after the sun goes down. My first trip there, it was 109, and got chilly at night. It's the night time heat that drives people insane. In 1980 and 2011 it was unrelenting. It was still 100 in my garage at 10PM.

I know I'll be at the show with (what I believe) to be be a great setup. I'm one of those guys that attends the show without any aspirations to sell anything. I just go for the people, music, and beer. The vibe is always great and I enjoy it.

Phillip, I'm sorry to hear that the record show idea didn't pan out. I got your email recently regarding it and was kinda bummed about it. I would have THOUGHT the true vinyl heads would have been into it.

Either way, I know you said you have to work Saturday but if you can make it out to the show any other day I'd love to catch up. I'll even play some Steely Dan for you on the line arrays. ;)

Darn Phillip,

Sure was looking forward to seeing you again. Hope you make it Friday or Sunday anyway.

Of course I'll get there Wednesday night. Thursday is my escape day from any local obligations. I'm going to drink whiskey sours and become one with the four RCA 6L6GC's in the room I guess!

I also will have my new head-amp section of the Goldfinch with me... powered by a quad of 6005/6AQ5 Sylvania black plates.

Anyone else coming early? I have a whole bottle! Sounds like its gonna be a lonely night...

Headaches are to be shared dammit...

Attachments

• Raven Audio Goldfinch Seperates - Multicomponent Mini Audio System Top SM.jpg
    Raven Audio Goldfinch Seperates - Multicomponent Mini Audio System Top SM.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 79
  • My Dear Friend SE & His Goldfinch Prototype.jpg
    My Dear Friend SE & His Goldfinch Prototype.jpg
    912.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Goldfinch Final Version - April '15.jpg
    Goldfinch Final Version - April '15.jpg
    836.1 KB · Views: 82
"part time" job

LOL. I got more than I bargained for when I took the job. My "day job" started as '2 days a week, maximum', and now they need me all the time. I wanted one or two, and they need four or five. It's government and unionized, so there are potential benefits. Still, I mostly wanted out of the house. Spending six days a week on ePay and Audiowent leads to weight gain and irritability. In the words of Morrissey, "I was looking for a job and then I found a job, And Heaven knows, I'm miserable now".

I'll come by Saturday night. I'm not sure what it takes to get record dealers to a show. I wasn't about to pay for the tables myself. Most dealers I know have an element of the cheapskate and/or deadbeat to them. They used the word "schlepp" a number of times. If hauling a few boxes of records is schlepping, then what is hauling a complete system to RMAF by yourself? Schleppicide?

Here's the translation for job seekers:
Part time, guaranteed only 1 day per week, means at least 3 days.
Full time means anything less than 36 hours.
If it mentions 'team players' or 'exciting', or if the first paragraph has more than 3 question marks, and you are over 20, don't bother.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.