DIY Ottawa winter 2013

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hello I am a new member and live about 4 hours north of Ottawa. I am building my first pair of speakers Small Thors from used Thor drivers. I would be interested in possibly attending the ottawa DIY fest if you are going to do it again. I dont know if my speakers will be finished and I dont have a warm place to paint them. but we get to Ottawa from time to time and I would like to see what other DIYers are doing. It would be nice to here the Ariels. I have read so much about them.

Welcome indeed! That was my pair of Ariels that were at the show last year, but unfortunately, they are now in Southern Ontario acting as my Father's main speakers. I'm living in a condo at the moment, and I had about 6 too many pairs of speakers for the amount of space we have :)

I do have some very exciting goodies to bring along this year though, one of which is pictured below. I'll be making boxes over Christmas, and should have everything ready to go for January's meet. I've wanted a pair of RD75 planars for years, and just finally decided to take the plunge and buy a pair. Preliminary tests even in dipole mode are extremely promising :)

Cheers,
Owen

Attachments

• IMG_8325.JPG
    IMG_8325.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 185
Reply to post # 18

Thank you, John, for offering use of your saw. I've got a few jobs around here that would probably go easier if I was to pick up a saw, which is why I started to check Kijiji. Either way, with my schedule over the next few weeks, I don't expect to be scheduling any wood-cutting.

Hi, 8ntractor.
Yes, you are welcome to join us once we have a date. FYI...in the past, we've been able to get the hall for a 2-day event (Sat & Sun) - Sat can be a late start due to set-up, but then we hang in till it gets pretty late; Sun is an earlier start, but we have to pack up & restore the hall (i.e. put away tables, etc.) before it gets too late.

And finally, I think I should mention that I was at the meeting in which Owen brought his Ariels & I was really looking forward to hearing them (like you, I had high expectations based on their rep). Unfortunately, I think that we had to conclude that they did not perform their best in this hall/setting. Although this hall is smaller than some, the room where we heard the Ariels is much bigger than a typical livingroom, and it is not kind to some equipment/speakers. That sort of experience helps to make our event interesting!

- Ron

Thank you

I am now committed to the small thors that were designed by scottmoose and dave on this site. I must have been talking about a used kit nonstop and my awesome wife got me the kit for xmas. I have been looking at diy for quite a while but the Lynn Olsen site and the reviews of the Ariels pushed me into the hobby hard. Madisound had a few of the drivers left but I was worried about not having drivers available in the future. Hopefully the small thors will sound good. Let me know and I will make it if I can. I dont know if I can do both days but would really like to attend at lease for one.

thanks

Ben

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Dates

Hello All
As promised, here are a few set of dates for your consideration. Please post your preferences. I will contact the Association for booking the Hall in early January. Historically, we have held our DIY Ottawa event either in January, February or June. There are some cool builds in progress that won't be ready for January this year, so I suggest we aim for March or later.

Possible dates:

09-10 March (note that 11-15 is school's March break in Ontario)
13-14 April
25-26 May
08-09 June

You may also discuss if you prefer the event to be a single day, a day and a half, or two full days.

Pierre

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'll second the April dates... it gives me some time to get things finished up and I don't think the weekend before March break is such a good idea as I would imagine people will be busy.

I would also vote for a two-day event, so long as we can leave larger items on site overnight. Time seems to really fly by with a one day event, and sometimes it seems like we're tearing down shortly after getting set up!

Cheers,
Owen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.