Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

There's a piece that a lot of you might play when showing off your system: St. Saen's Organ Symphony (AKA #3). You can hear it LIVE at Timothy Eaton Church on Sunday, a festive anniversary event. No kidding.

Tickets from Ticketweb.ca (a figment of those rapacious folks at Ticketmaster). Inexpensive.

They have these music extravaganzas from time to time. St. Clair West near Bathurst. Short walk from subway stop.

Ben

There's a piece that a lot of you might play when showing off your system: St. Saen's Organ Symphony (AKA #3). You can hear it LIVE
Maybe the loudest performance we ever heard. Crowd cheered so loudly, Kerry Stratton conducted the last movement as an encore. Quite a HiFi treat.

Several other very good choral and organ pieces (including some showy French organ music by Widor with big bass.

But if you missed it, you missed it.

Ben

Dear fellow Toronto area DIYers,

Merry X'mas (or Happy Holidays) and a Happy New Year to you and your family!! Hopefully we shall see each other sometime soon in the new year.

By the way, is anyone open to the idea of get together for coffee and chit-chat about our projects during the X'mas and New Year period. I am off for two weeks starting next Monday :p.

Regards,

Hey Guys,

Well, TAVES is almost here, again. This time around the show is to be hosted in Markham. I am quite sure that I'll be there. Just curious whether anyone is thinking of going this year. We did not manage to get together during last year's show, may be we can try again this year/

Regards,

I have blocked the day off, and as you know it is close to my office so I hope to be there. However I had great plans for last year and the business blew up and I missed it all together. So I am reluctant to arrange a meeting as it can go wrong on zero notice. Hope to see you all there and be sure to wave and call me out if you see me wandering the halls.

I'll be there if anyone wants to meet up.
Thanks
Andrew
I'm planning to be there with a terminal-case audiophile buddy on Sunday.

While Friday daytime is a quiet/good time to attend, bad time for driving a car if leaving at rush hour.

Friday night is annual Phantoms of the Organ. Not to be missed.

I think the first step is for somebody to identify a practical inside meeting spot. Then day. Then times, say "on the hour, even numbers". As my mother would say, "For THIS we paid $40000 for you to get a PhD in human factors...."

Ben

Last edited:
Wow, look like quite a few people are going!! As usual I plan to go on Friday since it will be a quieter day and much less crowded. However, since the venue is close to home, I probably would buy a 3 day pass this time around and pop in on Saturday and Sunday too.

It is still early days. May be we should wait a little and see how many are going and then set something up?

Regards,

Last edited:
Nice. Thanks. The frail elderly pay only $12..... but the software screwed up and I had to write to the organizers to get my paid-for ticket..... waiting to hear from them.

Oooops, then it arrived by email. It works, but that's no excuse for a crummy interface.

Ben

I haven't been to one, but $25 is a bit steep to look at some electronics I can't afford.

I haven't been to one, but $25 is a bit steep to look at some electronics I can't afford.

Hey Merlin,

Long time no see. Well, with the discount, one day pass costs 19$. It is not cheap, agree. However, for a 3 day pass, each day is less than 10$.

Based on what I know, I do not think the organizer is making much money from the admission ticket. In contrast to the American shows, this Toronto show has very little participation from big manufacturers, even Canadian ones (Bryston is the only big Canadian manufacturer that showed up every year) as far as I recall. Usually there are a few small up and coming manufacturers participate. TAVES is essentially supported by dealers and import distributors, and they do not have deep pockets (American Sound may be the exception). Since this is only a once a year "home town" event, I do not mind contribute some support.

Regards,

It is really worth the visit to hear all the stuff you may have read about. Also, you realize just how good your DIY results are compared to the mega buck stuff. Totally entertaining.
Question: how would a professional psychologist (AKA neuroscientist) devise the best strategy for learning (that is, hearing)?

In a recent exchange of thoughts with the management (following my temporarily missing ticket), I urged them to urge exhibitors to have a common means of playing samples brought by guests. They said they already encourage exhibitors in that.

That's a start.

Arrive sober. Listen at length. Wear earplugs during travel prior to arrival.

Ben