4th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2007

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Dave.

Hmmm it would be my first encounter with people of the audiophile nature numbering more than one.

I would bring a pair of well behaved medium sized kidlets and my wife . they would be doing there own thing while I be chillin wit da brothers.

Would a fella be able to park a ragged old RV away from activity?
A location where the air is unscented and chemical free?, my wife has multiple sensitivities

Thanks,
Gex

Hi Dave:

I'll do my very best to be there (which means that I'll be there!).

I will bring my Sino 300B SET, a new passive Pre with active Phono I built this winter and a new re-boxed CDP (this one based on a Sony DVD transport and with SP/DIF out so we can see how it likes to dance with the beautiful DACs that were on show last year ;)

Should I bring the PAWOs back? A years use and they are better and better so might be interestig for you and Chris to hear them.

See you all on Friday evening.

PS: anyone who needs a ride down Vancouver Island on Friday and dosen't have to be back home till Sunday afternoon is welcome to ride with me. :D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
gexter said:
Would a fella be able to park a ragged old RV away from activity?
A location where the air is unscented and chemical free?, my wife has multiple sensitivities

Yes... there are a couple possibilities. As long as (live) cedar or douglas fir don't set off her allergies. We'll also have shortened the grass the week before the event.

dave

Hello David. I am most likely coming and going to bring my Pete Millett designed E-Linear amplifier. The only thing holding me back is that I started a new job two weeks ago and must approach the new boss with care. Shouldn't be problem.

I, like many other people involved in this hobby, have little contact with others that build stuff other that through the forums and am looking forward to sharing ideas and listening to some good stuff.

My wife will wander the island in search of pottery.

Cheers,

Doug :eek:

Stuff to bring?

I checked with the boss today and I am definitely coming to the Island.

I am going to bring the E-Linear amplifier but have several other amplifiers and was thinking about what else to bring.

A 12 Watt per channel 12V6 design from Audio Express December 2001 - push pull design with inexpensive tubes - good first or second project.

Dual mono tube amplifier with two K-501 mono blocks (kit) from Antique Electronic Supply (made by S5 Electronics in Arizona - http://www.s5electronics.com/tube11.html). Inexpensive but good sounding first project.

A T-Class air core Charlize amplifier (10 Watts) and a Monica DAC from Diyparadise (http://www.diyparadise.com/shop/).

Please let me know if anyone is interested in hearing any of these and I will bring them along. Dave? Of course if I bring them all I may have to leave my wife behind. Such is life.

Cheers,

Doug
:cool: :eek:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Stuff to bring?

EDDIEMUNSTER said:
I am going to bring the E-Linear amplifier but have several other amplifiers and was thinking about what else to bring.

I'm eally looking forward to hearing that one...

A T-Class air core Charlize amplifier (10 Watts) and a Monica DAC from Diyparadise

They are small... i'd really like to see Yeo's work. Charlise is on our "reference" D-Amp short-list. And with all the DACs coming out it would be nice to hear another contender. Does Monica have USB in?

A 12 Watt per channel 12V6 design from Audio Express December 2001 - push pull design with inexpensive tubes - good first or second project.

Dual mono tube amplifier with two K-501 mono blocks (kit) from Antique Electronic Supply (made by S5 Electronics in Arizona - http://www.s5electronics.com/tube11.html). Inexpensive but good sounding first project.

These would both be interesting -- 12V6 to compare against the Scott EL84 PP, and the K-501 is probably the best of that class of very low budget starter amps -- it would be nice to suss it out.

dave

PS: i assume you'll be driving out?

I kind of forgot about my modified Thorens TD-150 with an Origin live motor and Ortofon MC-3 Turbo (Moving Magnet) cartridge and Rega Tonearm. I tossed out the old base and built a laminated Aspen/Maple one. I will try to fit it in the car. It would be nice to hear some listening impressions.

Do you play mostly vinyl or CD's at the event?

Doug

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.