The secret silver capacitor in Vinnie's Signature 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
After looking at numerous electrolytic capacitors, I think I found out what Vinnie uses in his Signature 30. It is undoubtedly a Nichicon KG Gold capacitor probably rated at 8200uf 50v with the outer film stripped off. This capacitor can be purchased from Michael Percy for $6.95. Only the Nichicon brand capacitors seem to have the "X-marking" on top. I have no idea what he uses to bypass this monster capacitor, but my guess is either another Nichicon or Blackgate rated at 100uf. He may even go further or skip the 100uf cap and use a relcap RTE at .1uf.

Attachments

• hero_collage.jpg
    hero_collage.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,002
All,

Newbie23 already posted the same question here on my RWA forum on audiocircle:
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=37556.0

It is definitely not a Nichicon Gold cap (or any Nichicon brand cap for that matter), but Newbie23 has to understand that I do not wish to give out detailed information about the parts/values of my products. I don't think that I am being unreasonable... I do not wish to have my products copied.

There is too much copying going on these days, and this sucks for someone like me who is makes his living soley on the products that I sell.

Newbie23's posts remind me of that kid that used to post here on diyaudio, HolyGhostFire21 (aka Kevin O'Hara). He used to email me all the time (as well as post here asking questions)asking for details about the Clari-T. I tried to be nice and help, and then made a cheap rip-off version that he sells on ebay under another name ("Best Audio Mods"). Come to think of it, this guy HolyGhoshtFire21 was also from Indiana, a college student, and a musician... just like Newbie23 shows in his user account info :rolleyes: Deja Vu, all over again?

Look, I have nothing against DIYing, but it is really rude posting on online forums trying to copy another manufacturer's product.... only to try and sell it. I don't know how one can purchase from someone that does this :confused:

-Vinnie

Vinnie

I am really sorry about the one guy copying your Clari-T amp, but the truth is unless someone has a patent on a product, they can copy all they want. Just look at the Chinese! I actually have one of his eBay that I purchased a while back. Still going strong and sounding great. Why would someone get so upset over a wrongful guess? Vinnie, word of advice. Take a chill pill and let the diyer community continue in peace.

Virgin23" ... is unless someone has a patent on a product, they can copy all they want. Just look at the Chinese! ..."

Well, not really, not as gentlemen and not as professionals. Engineers and professionals in electronics and other arenas can and do lose their jobs over plagerism ... at least here in North America they can, 'cause it could and does reflect on their employers' business, with or without a patent.

Another consideration: If you want to copy and reproduce Vinnie R.s interesting, unusual and obviously fine workmanship and design efforts, by all means do so ... Just identify your works as such so Vinnie R. will get the credit for the design and probably will get the business when your device fails. If you want to reproduce his work, call it something like "Ripoff Electronics El Cheap-o Copy of Vinnie's Signature 30 Amplifier ..." or "Spoofout Audio's Signatory #31 Amplifier ... almost as good as the Signature 30."

Anyway, what makes you believe that Vinnie R.'s work is any better than something you could brewed up ?? If copying is the most sincere form of flattery ... for the copied, then copying must be the least sincere form of flattery ... for the copier ...

But, as they say in Show Biz, any PR is good PR as long as you get the name right ... all this kinda makes me wanna get one of Vinnies amps ... :cool:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
What's with taking the protective shrink wrap off electrolytic caps these days? Is it mostly just for looks? Cause I'll be the first to admit a big unmarked metal cylinder does have a strange and alluring aura about it... It also often has a voltage on it as well, hence the reason for the protective covering.

Electronics is like a receipe for a gourmet dish, the parts can be bought by anyone, but only the right product and the right amount will make it taste great and Vinnie is like the chef.

Alot of hardware component designers erase or rub off the component ID, its their right to safe guard their "trade secret".

Vinnie are you attending the FSI in Montreal this coming April ? can't wait to see the Sig 30 up close, I believe you will be in the same booth with Louis from Omega.

" ... It also often has a voltage on it as well, hence the reason for the protective covering. ..."

There is also a audio school of Golden Ear thought that has the plastic coating, vinyl, 'ethelene, PVC or whatever, that may actually have a derogatory effect on audio quality ... :apathic:

But BWRX is right about the voltage insulation being removed = :hot:

newbie23 said:
Vinnie

I am really sorry about the one guy copying your Clari-T amp, but the truth is unless someone has a patent on a product, they can copy all they want. Just look at the Chinese! I actually have one of his eBay that I purchased a while back. Still going strong and sounding great. Why would someone get so upset over a wrongful guess? Vinnie, word of advice. Take a chill pill and let the diyer community continue in peace.
For those that are too young to know, the Japanese started out copying, and gradually developed their own technology.
ABJensen said:
Why copy. try too make it better.For me thats what diy is about

Andre?

History is full of copies and improvement, this is what developent is about. It's just that information travels so fast these days that business competition is on a larger scale, and thus somebody set up rules to protect the financial benefits of certain people. Yet what happens when two people in diffferent parts of the world develop the same thing?... really to complicated to even discuss here...

One thing that holds true is that if you can develope and produce faster than people can copy, your in the lead.

" ... History is full of copies and improvement, this is what developent is about. ..."

Right on, soongsc ... and that is also what this DIYAudio.com space is about ...

" ... One thing that holds true is that if you can develope and produce faster than people can copy, your in the lead. ..."

Is thus and ever shall be ...

We should have a poll on what capacitors have the same stress relief markings as the "silver signature" capacitor. The only problem that exists is the matter of all the generic ones that will appear. I bet a nichicon gold 8200uf bypassed with a 100uf nichicon kz or blackgate FK with a .01uf film bypass would give superior sound to any exotic single cap.

Yeah I am very pleased with the sound quality especially for the price. This guy is practically selling these amps for face value. I don't think he has any more available, but I know he is willing to do custom orders. If I can't figure out how to hook up the batteries to my Teac A-L700p, I may have him mod it for me. He said he did a custom order with a Charalize board once which sounded fabalous!

Vinnie, I know (from AC) that you are one of the good guys. Don't take this to heart, you're being ribbed! No one is about to de-throne you in the near future. Your place is assured for a long time to come. people are curious, have the itch to know, "how does he do it?" It's inevitable and natural. Secret ingrediants just beg to be discovered. Knowing what they are doesn't make the meal taste the same if somebody else does the cooking. A lot of us just don't have the bucks for your gear and others so we will keep trying to make a silk purse out of whatever sow's ears we can find.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.