Winsome Labs Amp - Any Info? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2007, 08:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Winsome Labs Amp - Any Info?

While I was browsing yesterday I came upon this Tripath amp. Has anyone here used or know anything about he quality of this amp. It is made in the USA and comes as a kit or fully made. It appears to have some nice options.

http://www.winsome-labs.com/

Here are some pics...

http://www.winsome-labs.com/images/mouse_front.jpg

http://www.winsome-labs.com/images/mouse_back.jpg

http://www.winsome-labs.com/images/mouse_complete.jpg

I was wondering if price seemed reasonable as well.

Thanks,

Joel
Old 26th February 2007, 08:30 PM   #2
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Looks like an honest product to me, both in build quality, specification and price. I never saw or heard it though.

/Hugo
Old 26th February 2007, 10:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi,

it uses Tripath chipset TC2001+TP2050. Same chipset are used in 41Hz Amp4, Amp11 and in Redwine Signature 30.
Old 27th February 2007, 02:04 AM   #4
JayH is offline JayH  United States
diyAudio Member

That would be me. =)

It's a modified TK2050 that uses two TP2050 chips, each in parallel/mono mode, one per channel for 4-ohm stability and more current.
Old 27th February 2007, 02:48 AM   #5
EdT is offline EdT  Canada
diyAudio Member

I found it abit on the expensive side compared to offerings from AutoDigit and Trends and the looks aren't stunning at all !
Old 27th February 2007, 08:13 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EdT
I found it abit on the expensive side compared to offerings from AutoDigit and Trends and the looks aren't stunning at all !

These are whole different things. Trends is a TA2024, like SI T-Amp, whil Audiotigit one is a TA4100, simplified amp optimized for 4 ch. TC2000/TP2050 is another category, more complex and much better sounding.

Winsome one is a bit expensive as kit, but not so much the assembled one.
Old 3rd March 2007, 01:30 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I built the kit version and took it to the last meeting of the Lone Star Bottleheads in Houston Texas. It was well received and amazed a few non-believers with its ability to drive different speakers and all with great detail, especially in the upper end.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm headed to another Lone Star Bottlehead meet just north of Dallas Texas tomorrow. I'll take the Winsome Mouse amp again and see how the Dallas Audio Society take to it. I'll post a few pics afterwards and their impressions.
Old 4th March 2007, 10:44 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

How sensitive is the input of this amp? I'm using a trends-ta 10 at the moment but find that my modified squeezebox ( 1v output) does not have enough drive... In what form does the kit come? Some nice Oil caps and a Pec carbon pot would be nice

So this might be a nice option instead of making my system more complicated by adding a tubed pre-amp.

Also does anyone know wether the charlize is good without a pre?

Thanks

Robert
Old 4th March 2007, 07:33 PM   #9
JayH is offline JayH  United States
diyAudio Member

1V to the Winsome amp should be plenty for full output. The input resistors are thru-hole Dale metal film so you could easily increase the gain if needed. Oil caps would be a tough squeeze physically, you need 2 microfarads minimum to avoid bass rolloff. It can be ordered with ALPS blue velvet pot or Panasonic EVJ, input caps are Illinois MWR or Solen/Bennic.
Old 4th March 2007, 09:50 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

thank you,

I'm currently using a trends ta-10, does anyone know if this amp will be better ? the trends is based on the t2024 chip... I don't need extra power , my hawthorne SI's only need 2 wpc ( in my 12 by 12ft room probably 1wpc)

So it's mostly 1st watt perfomance I am looking for

Robert

Hide this!Advertise here!