Lepai T-Amp with TA2020 - Page 121 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2012, 03:39 PM   #1201
diyAudio Member

PS,
on the latest version of the Lepai there is not a "turn on pop", welll not on my 2.
Old 30th July 2012, 06:04 PM   #1202
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiosmuck View Post
PS,
on the latest version of the Lepai there is not a "turn on pop", welll not on my 2.
what is the "the latest version"? or how can i tell what version do i have or im getting?

from what ive seen in pictures there are so many verions of this amp. components vary from one another, also the board color.
Old 30th July 2012, 06:50 PM   #1203
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanc723 View Post
what is the "the latest version"? or how can i tell what version do i have or im getting?

from what ive seen in pictures there are so many verions of this amp. components vary from one another, also the board color.
lepai2.jpg
Here is an image of my non-popping amp
Old 30th July 2012, 09:41 PM   #1204
diyAudio Member

picture of mine. (thump noise) :

Click the image to open in full size.

cant seem to find any differences between my board and the board posted above
Old 30th July 2012, 11:15 PM   #1205
diyAudio Member

I cannot imagine an instantaneous 12v dc spike, if that is what the thump is, would do any damage at all. A 9v battery seems a popular way of checking a voice coil polarity and you get a nice big thump with no ill effect.
If you are that worried, you could leave the amp on all the time or turn the gain right down before switching on.
All I hear is a little click from the amp just after flipping the switch. But my speakers are a ways from the amp, so if there is a thump, I'm not hearing it.
My old amp has a real rough volume/on/off rotary switch which I spray occasionally but have put up with the noise in my speakers for 15 years without harm to them.
Old 31st July 2012, 12:25 AM   #1206
diyAudio Member

thanks for the info. im still debating whether to keep it or not. i will be using it to power some bookshelf speakers and sound from my speakers or iphone.

the sounds was good. filled the room quite nice.
Old 31st July 2012, 05:03 PM   #1207
diyAudio Member

If you like the sound, keep the amp, do not take too much notice of "experts".
I was told by the same "expert", that the Lepai would not have the power to drive my very efficient speakers but somehow had the balls to blow them.
The Audiophile will never accept these amps, the placebo effect of spending huge sums of money on their equipment is just too strong.
Mind you, take the same chip, add a couple of bucks of extra components, charge several thousand and they will bite.
Old 31st July 2012, 11:12 PM   #1208
Franfj is offline Franfj  Spain
diyAudio Member

A few months ago I bought another for a friend. That has the new revision of the board, and seems that new amps use that tiny coils for output and give less bass than the previous ones with a little bigger ones...

After a lot of modding my Lepai with the previous revision, I think that the only two mods needed for the current revision of the board are the sound input capacitor change (replace with MKP) and output coils replacement (with better ones, not necessary with toroids, but bigger ones will improve response with high loads).

An useful mod also is to add a overload led, although the sound is noticeable worse when the amp starts clipping, a led is useful to detect it and avoid damage to speakers.
Old 1st August 2012, 04:39 PM   #1209
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebla View Post
Not heard that before.
Could someone please explain it further..
Really? This should not be news.
Venerable DC Tannoys, at least those of "gold' or newer vintage do far better (demand ?) an amp that has massive headroom, simplistically quantified as a min 20 +A current delivery capability.
Tannoy cones are Heavy rascals.. and it takes serious current, acting against those 15+ pounds of Alnico to produce the sharp transients and believable dynamics that they are well capable of...
a 1/2amp current drive is simply not enough.
Many owners are obliviously happy with their low current amps (bespoke SE Tube amps usually.. but Many Solid State amps as well, are poor in this )

DO check the specs of ANY amp one is considering.
A few makers will state their current delivery specs clearly .. the ones that don't simply aren't suitable for purpose.
Curiously, price is NOT the prime determinant either. Nor is vintage 'heritage'
A simple 'hearing' of ones' own Tannoys' expanded dynamics from a suitable amp quickly converts even die hard cynics.
The LF cone at least benefits from such, If not wanting to forgo the (real or imagined) benefits of a truly decent tube setup..the HF can be powered separately, v effectively by an SE tube amp... best of both worlds.
My current configuration.. this year.

I'm not likely to threaten MY Tannoys with my Ta2020 under any circumstance. Risking $5000 worth of drivers to a $10 Chip amp ? Not happening.
A pair of small monitors types...most certainly. An appropriate use IMO.

Last edited by Bare; 1st August 2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:51 AM   #1210
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiosmuck View Post
If you like the sound, keep the amp, do not take too much notice of "experts".
I was told by the same "expert", that the Lepai would not have the power to drive my very efficient speakers but somehow had the balls to blow them.
You are simply Naive in this.
Speakers typically 'blow' when the amp goes into clipping.
Raw 'clean' power will NOT easily blow a speaker.. unless it's some "White Van" POS thing, just waiting to self destruct.

Hide this!Advertise here!