Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2006, 01:46 PM   #1
Steven is offline Steven  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Philips UCD application note

Philips released its UCD application note.

http://www.semiconductors.philips.co.../UM10155_1.pdf

The UcD concept was patented by Philips. However, the use of the IP is granted (without a license fee) to third parties that use the enabling semiconductor components from Philips Semiconductors in their application.
Attached Images
File Type: png philips_ucd.png (46.1 KB, 11040 views)
The Analog Art shows no sign of yielding to the Dodo's fate. The emergence and maturation of monolithic processing finesse has perhaps lagged a bit behind the growth of the Binary Business. But whereas digital precision is forever bounded by bits, there is no limit excepting Universal Hiss to the ultimate accuracy and functional variety of simple analog circuits. - Barry Gilbert, 1973
Old 26th August 2006, 02:21 PM   #2
IVX is offline IVX  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Fig 1.General view -"Philips *** D amp ".. Funny, but If Philips would be my own, I would dismiss the photographer!
Old 26th August 2006, 03:02 PM   #3
djQUAN is offline djQUAN  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to djQUAN Send a message via Yahoo to djQUAN
a good starting point for a DIY class D amp..... just printed it and gonna have a read.......
Old 26th August 2006, 04:25 PM   #4
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
>120dB SNR?? ... and with this single ended version? hmmmmmm.

It's an OK read, but you'll learn more from going to the hypex website and reading an actual paper written on it by the guy who actually knows something of it, and much more yet from the posts on this forum if you go back far enough.

Did they give the "most important" information or the most basic? According to Bruno's comment the last time this was brought up.... this is all they've got to give on it. Funny. I guess that explains them having "serious problems implementing it" (so a little bird told me)... guess they should have stayed on his good side?

Funniest part:

"Again, any changes are left the responsibility of the experimenter, but assistance from
Philips will be available through the local sales representatives."

What part of that do you think gets removed upon the next revision of the datasheet.

Ivan, about the pic.. it's your typical microfilm quality, they must have stolen it when he had his back turned
Old 26th August 2006, 04:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I've done some looking around in it and didn't find anything about input sensitivity or gain......

although the simple schematic appeals to me..
Old 26th August 2006, 04:40 PM   #6
Account Disabled

Well, there's alot of reading you can do in the areas I mentioned, but if you really want to get your feet wet and jump in head first, just build this sucker and use as advised. I wouldnt' expect that performance from it though.

This cheapness is likely to be the reason why Philips can't make use of it! So if you want better... you're going to have to dig up a little more on it, but it's all out there.

EDit: You're not going to want to judge a Hypex version based on this sucker though!
Old 26th August 2006, 04:43 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

well, I'm not really looking for the "best class D that money could buy" thing but something quick and dirty to drive a pair of subs. probably build this first as is and work up to a higher power version when I get a feel of things.

edit also:if you got a link for a schematic with more power and better performance as is then I'm all ears (or eyes. )
Old 27th August 2006, 02:29 PM   #8
fokker is offline fokker  China
diyAudio Member

that's an interesting link. appreciate it.

i am still struggling with mine - which more and more looks like a mosfet driver issue but I will report back when I get it fixed.

classd4sure, what is the "most important" information? I think a good circuit is one that is first of all robust. If something is that quirky, there usually is something foundamentally wrong with the circuit.
Old 28th August 2006, 09:18 AM   #9
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by fokker
that's an interesting link. appreciate it.

i am still struggling with mine - which more and more looks like a mosfet driver issue but I will report back when I get it fixed.

classd4sure, what is the "most important" information? I think a good circuit is one that is first of all robust. If something is that quirky, there usually is something foundamentally wrong with the circuit.

I don't know I tend to think alot is equally important oppositly than they've pointed out. You don't have to worry about it though, because all that stuff doesn't appear in their version of it

You're using a driver IC right? Maybe post some experiences/schematics to your thread and we can help you out with whatever issues?

Cheers,
Chris
Old 28th August 2006, 09:29 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Well, a lot of comments I see here are of the variety "it's simple, therefore it can't be good". Does anybody actually understand how it works?

Jan Didden

Hide this!Advertise here!