Charlize, my thoughts

Okay,
I got my Charlize (air core inductors) and Monica about 2 weeks ago and have just got around to trying Charlize last night.
I built a quick Corian and Aluminium chassis for temporary use. I am using a Nad cd player and Jerico horns with Fe208 Sigma’s and a homemade FVP5 pre.
Charlize is battery powered. a 12V (12.7V) 9AH unit from a UPS, no caps or anything else.
Thoughts after only ~1 hour.
WOW.
The first 20 minutes were harsh but it suddenly cleared up and seems to have progressively improved for the short time it was on. While I did not compare to anything else last night I was impressed, clear and lucid, a bit forward sounding (but I like that) plenty bass (maybe too much) great separation and as others have said it almost makes a piano sound like a piano, great decay. Not at all strident like many a SS amp, more smooth.
I keep looking at this little board and listening to it and am bewildered, my prejudice is showing, its too small and cheap to sound like this!
When I consider that this amplifier costs about the same as a decent power transformer for a tube amp and its already built .....
Not all is well though, there is that turn on thump, very frightening seeing my drivers extending like that, I know that there is a fix for that but think it should have been incorporated into the design. I tried the separate switch for the mute but it made no difference.I am picking up a touch of R.F. but only in the left channel and it is very, very slight, I thought it may be because of my chassis but since its only the Left channel I doubt it but will know for sure when the permanent case is built. I only noticed it because I was listening to see how much noise if any the amp produced with my ears against the speakers, the noise is minimal and my speakers are very efficient so I consider the noise to be a non issue. I was also wondering is perhaps there may be a bit a bass lift in the ~ 50 -80 Hz range, maybe to help smaller speakers?
I am certainly looking forward to hearing this after a few hundred hours to see if I still enjoy it as much, or more.
I am presently trying to work out the conversion of a PC power supply to power it as Nuuk feels the SMPS is even better than a battery.
Hey Yeo! Nice job, Charlize should keep you and your partners busy, I may hit you up for another one, want to buy a tube amp or two?

Andrew

Welcome to the Charlize fan club Andrew! Do try the 'series resistor' trick for reducing that turn-on thump to something insignificant. And if you use a rotary switch, it is very convenient!

I'm sitting here listening to Mal Wlaldron through Charlize and it may as well be a real piano at the other end of the room! :att'n:

BTW - what is a 'homemade FVP5 pre'? :xeye:

I have an AMP1-B from 41Hz, and if this is to be believed, it must be far far worse than a Charlize. Either that, or my tube amps are way better than yours. For me there is no comparison and the tube amps are so much better than the class-t that it is hardly worth comparing.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Attachments

• im002571_2.jpg
    im002571_2.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 6,510
Okay I’m back,
I had to go into work today although officially the island was locked down due to Hurricane Wilma.
Firstly, my remarks about asking Yeo if he wanted some tubes amps was “tongue in cheek” , how could I really make a decision like that in about an hour, …an hour and a half perhaps ;-)
I am not saying that the tube amps are or better or worse, many things are just different, I was just trying a little humor but if I say in a couple weeks that I prefer Charlize then so be it. My point is that Charlize is one sweet girl, the amp that is, the other Charlize is sweet as well but I have not yet heard her sing.

Dsavitsk, I cannot compare the 41Hz product against anything as I have never heard it and your tube amps may indeed be way better than mine, I have never heard them either. You posted a picture of what appears to be a DHT amp, looks to be a SE design (unless its some twin tube I have never seen before :). I have been down that road many times with RC coupling and IT coupling, shunt and series feed, etc, and to be honest they are okay but I much prefer a SE Pentode in Pentode mode or better yet in “RH” mode especially an 807. I find DHT’s a bit boring so going by what I typed earlier as to what I like you might get an idea of my kind of sound, that’s if you have ever heard something like I described, many have not and go the way of most others with the SE DHT’s. I also have PP 2A3’s, 300B’s and EL34’s, KT88’s an inverted 3875 Gainclone
An AKSA 55W and a few more amps. Also a SE OTL by Transcendent Sound which is killer. I have even more speakers than amps and change equipment around every few months usually or when I want to hear a particular setup.
I have no problem that you prefer your tube amps to the 41HZ amps, only you know what you prefer and many people do enjoy the DHT sound, I still do but have found something that I prefer. BTW, does the 41HZ product have the turn on thump?
Also, the filter board in the picture of the t-amp, is it two separate channels? I see what appears to be 8 diodes in the front and lots of caps so it looks to me to be separated but with a single toroid. One more thing, the amp itself, I see what looks to be 4 large caps, 2 elco’s and 2 film types, are those the stock caps and do they come like that or is it some change you made to the board?
When I get some more time, and have put more time on Charlize (the amp that is, my wife may read this!) I will do some more listening. As it is now my favorite amp is my OTL seconded by my “RH mode” SE 807. The Charlize is not listed because its much too soon to say how it will rate against those that I know, but out the gate I am very impressed not only with the great sound but with the fact that you need not spend lots of time and money to get that great sound.

I got a PC power supply today, SMPS of course, an older AT style145W unit out of an older Compaq and have done the necessaries to it, tested it, and have it ready to join Charlize but that will have to wait for the weekend. Then it will be a chassis and the rotary switch with resistor fix, the new speakers, the lawn needs mowing, the hedge trimming, if it would just stop raining long enough I could at least start on the chassis …

Andrew

Andrewbee said:

Dsavitsk, I cannot compare the 41Hz product against anything as I have never heard it and your tube amps may indeed be way better than mine, I have never heard them either. You posted a picture of what appears to be a DHT amp, looks to be a SE design (unless its some twin tube I have never seen before :).

They are welborne labs drd 300b's

Andrewbee said:
BTW, does the 41HZ product have the turn on thump?

nope, though I always put it on mute when powering up or down so i don't really know.

Andrewbee said:
Also, the filter board in the picture of the t-amp, is it two separate channels? I see what appears to be 8 diodes in the front and lots of caps so it looks to me to be separated but with a single toroid.

It is essentially carlosfm's snubberized design. It is a single toroid with dual secondaries. Each set is rectified and smoothed with 10 x 1000uF panasonic FM caps.

Andrewbee said:
One more thing, the amp itself, I see what looks to be 4 large caps, 2 elco’s and 2 film types, are those the stock caps and do they come like that or is it some change you made to the board?

No, 41Hz supplies 2 x 330uF caos. I found that there was no bass to the amp. I replaced them at first with Nichicon Muse 470uF caps, but them upped them to 1500uF FC caps with 0.1uF film and foil bypasses. This brought out the bass in the amp, though my 300b's still go deeper and are fuller.

-d

Hey Andrewbee

Since you have so many amps to compare to the Charlize amp, I was wondering if you could tell us your favorite amp out of all the amps you own so far. How does the SE-OLT compare to the Charlize amp? Are your favorite speakers full range drivers? I currently just own a modded Sonic Impact amp with Hammer Dynamic speakers which is a killer combination.

I was wondering if you could tell us your favorite amp out of all the amps you own so far

SE OTL

How does the SE-OLT compare to the Charlize amp?

Too soon to tell, give me a while to find out.

Are your favorite speakers full range drivers

Yes SE208 Sigma not the new EZ.

I am also a fan of the FE103 Fostex, not the RS 1197 wannabe

Andrew

hi Andrewbee

you said;

"am presently trying to work out the conversion of a PC power supply to power it as Nuuk feels the SMPS is even better than a battery."

What kind of SMPS are you thinking of getting.
I was running batteries and very happy.

Today I got a SMPS and was dissapointed - lack of dynamics and clarity - some sort of distortion that I can't put my finger on. :xeye:

went back and forth and everytime the SMPS sounded lacking.

Maybe the SMPS has to be a specific kind?

thanks
Bachiano

Hi Bachiano,

The SMPS is in the post before yours with the link, its an old Compaq computer power supply. Its been playing for the last 2-1/2 hours and I have not been really listening to it, just letting Charlize break in. I took a very quick listen and might have detected a very slight difference but would not swear to it and my impression was opposite to yours. I thought the dynamics may have been improved and the sound a little more forward but again this was just a quick listen. I thought it sounded fine with the battery though, with more listening I will have a better feeling on the differences if any. Right now I just want to build some time on it.

How close to your amp was your SMPS and was it enclosed? Perhaps it was picking up some noise?

Andrew

hi Andrewbee

I see it now - your PSU

No, mine it's not enclosed - it's naked and it was about two feet from Charlize.
I do hear a high frenquency switching noise coming from the supply. (12 - 15 volt@ 8 amps)
Is that normal ??? - I got it from a surplus place, so maybe it's not 100% healthy.

Bachiano