Charlize, my thoughts

The Monica2 as I found out quite low output and I sometimes need to open the 50K stepped attenuator full to really get decent volume.

Mr Dodo, could you just refresh my memory as to your complete system when using Monica2? :att'n:

I an looking at a 13.5v 18 amp SMPS. I like the idea of 13.5 v. I am not sure how many amps charlize will draw, but this supply will have it well covered. Is this overkill? I am thinking that this amp is worth the investment in a good power supply.

Nigel, I haven't tried 13.5 volts myself but the 12 volt/6 amp SMPS that I have been using seem more than adequate for a class-T amp! ;)

Nuuk,
Monica2 is usually connected to 50k stepped attenuator between 41hz amp3 with highest possible gain chosen. The amp3 then feeds an AE 89db(I think) loudspeaker. Added a Ribbon Foster superTweeter crossed with 1uf and attenuated with 3db lpad. Transport is usually Njoe Tjoeb or Sony DVD.

Monica2 is usually connected to 50k stepped attenuator between 41hz amp3 with highest possible gain chosen. The amp3 then feeds an AE 89db(I think) loudspeaker. Added a Ribbon Foster superTweeter crossed with 1uf and attenuated with 3db lpad. Transport is usually Njoe Tjoeb or Sony DVD.

OK, that's what I thought! ;)

Now, when I fed the output of Monica2 into a 25K stepped attenuaor and then into one of the class-T amps, I often found that I didn't have enough volume. So I added a buffer between the attenuator and class-T amp and now it is loud enough. And guess what - the buffer has no gain! :eek:

So do you have a buffer or active pre that you can try this with? I would like to hear if somebody else has the same results! :eek:

Nuuk,
No buffer nor active pre on hand.
Just waiting for your review of tube pre for t-amps to get one :)
What bothers me is the sound of breaking waves/ sweeping noise on ONE channel when I connect Monica2 to amp3 directly. If this is an impedance problem, should have been on both channels, no?
I have a another amp3 lying around that I could check to see if I get the same problem.

What bothers me is the sound of breaking waves/ sweeping noise on ONE channel when I connect Monica2 to amp3 directly. If this is an impedance problem, should have been on both channels, no?

Most logically, this sounds like a poor connection! :att'n:

No buffer nor active pre on hand.

That's a pity! The Les Sage buffer is very easy to build but you would still need the PSU! :(

Just to share

I hooked up my monica2 to a 12b4 linestage and it drives the gainclone quite well. Apart from the small microphonics, it doesnt lose too much of the transparent qualities of monica2. Treble is slightly airier.
I dont have the charlize on hand, but i THINK it should work as well.

Nuuk said:

Nigel, I haven't tried 13.5 volts myself but the 12 volt/6 amp SMPS that I have been using seem more than adequate for a class-T amp! ;)

Thanks Nuuk. I suppose 13.5v might be the differents for the air ciols in the dynamics department. I am just finding it to be to polite. Plenty of detail. At the moment its not still not my el34ppp. But I am willing to invest the time and money to see if it can be

;)
Nigel

barfind said:

Thanks davee. I will try the smps. Thanks for your input. Where in the northern Rivers are you?

Nigel

No worries, I am near Byron Bay, if your ever up this way come and have a listen!

barfind said:
I an looking at a 13.5v 18 amp SMPS. I like the idea of 13.5 v. I am not sure how many amps charlize will draw, but this supply will have it well covered. Is this overkill? I am thinking that this amp is worth the investment in a good power supply.
Any thoughts?

Nigel
!3.5 volts is ok but 18 amps is waay overkill.
I did try one of my Autostruire 2020 amp on a big Lab ps i have that outputs up to 40 amperes but the ps digital display never showed more than a 2.2 ampere max draw .
The nemic lambda smps (ebay $20 a pr from WA) i use now are 2.8 amps max and actually sounds better than the big lab supply did. (more open and better deep bass)

dave e

davee said:

No worries, I am near Byron Bay, if your ever up this way come and have a listen!

!3.5 volts is ok but 18 amps is waay overkill.
I did try one of my Autostruire 2020 amp on a big Lab ps i have that outputs up to 40 amperes but the ps digital display never showed more than a 2.2 ampere max draw .
The nemic lambda smps (ebay $20 a pr from WA) i use now are 2.8 amps max and actually sounds better than the big lab supply did. (more open and better deep bass)

dave e

Hi dave e . Thanks. Yes I know 18amps will be overkill
:smash:
I just like the 13.5v thing. I will look around more because its $230 as well. We go to the Gold coast evry now and then. Next time we come up I stop and have a listen. Thanks for the invite:cool:

Nigel

I have read that the t-amps, amp3, charlize ... invert phase. Is it so?

You may have told me something useful there Mr Dodo. While I have been listening to all this new stuff, ie class-T amps andMonica2 DAC, I have found myself constantly wanting to change the phase on my subs! That would explain why!

The strange thing that I have found with the class-T amps is that there is very little difference whichever way I have the subs connected whereas with the GC's, it is quite audible which is the correct phase! :att'n:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The Tripath is indeed an inverting amp. All the documentation says so. I've had a look at the output on a scope and can confirm this.

But it's not quite so simple. Phase seems to shift around dependant on frequency. Running a 20-20KHz sweep and looking at phase will startle you! It's all over the place. Maybe that's why the sub phase doesn't seem as out of place to you.

Earlier this year I was discussing this with Scott Nixon who said that he had noticed it too, but that it didn't seem to effect the sound. Curious.....

Maybe as I dig deeper into filters I will test filter phase too.

But it's not quite so simple. Phase seems to shift around dependant on frequency. Running a 20-20KHz sweep and looking at phase will startle you! It's all over the place. Maybe that's why the sub phase doesn't seem as out of place to you.

Thanks Michael, that goes a long way to explaining what I have been experiencing with the subs! It is curious though as Scott says (and way beyond my understanding anyway)! :xeye:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
[i... it doesn't matter anymore, or does it? [/B]

Well yes, it should. Certainly around the sub crossover frequency it would/should.

My look at phase was just a brief one and I was looking more at differential output phase than input/output phase.

I'll try to have a more complete look and post what I find.

I am trying to decide between buying the SE-OLT and the Charlize. Can you tell me the weakness and strengths of each of these amps.

The weakness of the SE OTL is the low power but on the correct speakers it is no longer a weakness:D
It is simply a fantastic amp.

The Charlize is still breaking in. The bass which I found too prominient at first no longer seems that way. I don't think the bass has disappeared but maybe the mids have come out some more, at any rate it is now sounding more balanced.

Charlize still does not have many hours on her so it is still too early to make a comparison but I can safely say I cannot find anything wrong with the sound thus far. I am still using the smps from the PC but plan on trying another smps.

The only fault they both may have is that they are so inexpensive that
many people will dismiss them (their loss).

Andrew

Just ordered some goodies from Steve at Apexjr.com including two 12V@6.3A SMPS which costs just US$12.50 each and some caps 10000uF@63V US$1.50 so for anyone sitting on the fence regarding an SMPS there is no reason not to try it at these prices.
I am still using my PC SMPS so will be able to compare them when the new one arrives.

Andrew