Class D Amplifier Website with Comparisons??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello -

One time I stumbled across a website devoted to Class D amplifiers. It had a comparison of many different products and talked about the sound quality. I have two questions:

1) Who knows the URL of this website?

2) How much credibility does this guy have? (In other word, how reliable are his opinions?)

Thanks,
Charles Hansen

Those Philips DSL circuits sounds interesting. Anyone knows more about those?

I am especially looking for a amp with extreme performance in the 1k-20k range, since those are rare on the market so far especially at decent price levels.

I´d guess the ICE modules is as good as it gets in the lower octaves, however some reports on the full range sound has been less than "perfect".

Seems like the only "right" way for a multiway active solution with DSP power ala DEQX and TacT would be amps designed for optimum performance in a "narrow" band. I would like to use small switching amps for all bands, but so far I´m leaning more towards ICE for the low range, ICE or some FET amps for the midrange and a class A BJT amp for the highs.

Opinions anyone?

Merry X-mas!

/Peter

Pan said:

I am especially looking for a amp with extreme performance in the 1k-20k range, since those are rare on the market so far especially at decent price levels.

I´d guess the ICE modules is as good as it gets in the lower octaves, however some reports on the full range sound has been less than "perfect".

Seems like the only "right" way for a multiway active solution with DSP power ala DEQX and TacT would be amps designed for optimum performance in a "narrow" band. I would like to use small switching amps for all bands, but so far I´m leaning more towards ICE for the low range, ICE or some FET amps for the midrange and a class A BJT amp for the highs.

Opinions anyone?

Merry X-mas!

/Peter

All your friends will ask why you put the small amp on the lows and the big one on the highs ;)

Pan said:

Opinions anyone?

Merry X-mas!

/Peter

Hello Peter,

I'm using UcD amps in combination with the DEQX for an active 3-way. UcD180 are used for mid and high drivers. For the woofers I'm still using a 4-channel Tripath based Marantz amp that I had lying around. The amp for the woofers will become UcD as well in the future.

This works all very well, UcD amps behave very well when switching them on and off, so no problems to connect them directly to a tweeter.

Best regards

Gertjan

Gertjan,

what amps have you compared them to?

I don´t doubt these switching amps are "best" in low range use but I´m still uncertain for mids and especially highs... this I base on reports from others.

I have listened to an active three way with ICE to tweets, tubes to mid and SS to sub. The sound was very good but I did not compare to anything else so I wouldn´t know how a good class A amps would change things in the highs.

/Peter

Pan said:
Gertjan,

what amps have you compared them to?

I don´t doubt these switching amps are "best" in low range use but I´m still uncertain for mids and especially highs... this I base on reports from others.

I have listened to an active three way with ICE to tweets, tubes to mid and SS to sub. The sound was very good but I did not compare to anything else so I wouldn´t know how a good class A amps would change things in the highs.

/Peter

Hi Peter,

I compared the UcD with the Tripath based marantz and with my Accuphase E407 integrated amp. I did that with my passive B&W CDM9NT speakers. The latter amp is considered a high-end amp by many people. But, the UcD sounds clearly better than the Accuphase. The sound is very open and very clean. You will crank up the volume much higher than you are used to since the sound stays clean. The Tripath also sounded better than the Accuphase but the difference between Accuphase and Marantz is smaller than the difference between Accuphase and UcD. The UcD is a very clear winner. The noise level of UcD is also very low, much lower than that of the Tripath and on a similar level as the Accuphase that also has very low noise of the power amp stage.

So in short, no reservations at all to use UcD for mid and high.

WIth my 3-way active system they also perform very well. I`m especially always surprised when I watch/listen to DVD movies. Since movies contain sounds that everyone encounters in daily live, it is asthonishing how real these sounds come over.

Best regards

Gertjan

ghemink said:
I'm using UcD amps in combination with the DEQX for an active 3-way....

I'm also using the UcD modules my active DEQX-based system. UcD180's are driving my midrange and tweeters and UcD400's are on the woofers. These modules sound significantly better than the prior commercial mosfet amps that I was using and cost a whole less too. :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

mac said:

I'm also using the UcD modules my active DEQX-based system. UcD180's are driving my midrange and tweeters and UcD400's are on the woofers. These modules sound significantly better than the prior commercial mosfet amps that I was using and cost a whole less too. :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi Mike,

Seems we are doing almost the same thing. I see your woofers are dipoles, is the midwoofer also a dipole? What about the ribbon tweeter?

I agree, UcD beats a lot of expensive amps easily.

Gertjan

ghemink said:

Hi Mike,

Seems we are doing almost the same thing. I see your woofers are dipoles, is the midwoofer also a dipole? What about the ribbon tweeter?

I agree, UcD beats a lot of expensive amps easily.

Gertjan

Hello Gertjan,

Only my woofers are dipole. The mid is the Seas W15CH001 and the tweeter is the Fountek JP2. Yes, it's a big change from my Orions but believe me, it sounds good. ;)

I'm now anxious to upgrade the NE5532 opamps on my UdC180 modules. I was thinking of using the OPA627BP on SO8 adapters. Which opamps are you using?

Cheers,
mac.

mac said:

Hello Gertjan,

Only my woofers are dipole. The mid is the Seas W15CH001 and the tweeter is the Fountek JP2. Yes, it's a big change from my Orions but believe me, it sounds good. ;)

I'm now anxious to upgrade the NE5532 opamps on my UdC180 modules. I was thinking of using the OPA627BP on SO8 adapters. Which opamps are you using?

Cheers,
mac.

Hi Mac,

I'm still using the UcD180 with NE5532 opamp. I replaced the 22uF coupling caps, I put BG NX types in there with a smaller value as well since the UcD amps only have to drive the tweeter and the mids. I also added some power supply decoupling close to the opamp. I don't know if all that is audible but I did it anyway. Sound is great.

For mid I use Seas Excell W18EX001 with Vifa ringradiator tweeter in MTM dipole configuration. The woofers are dipole using 2 Visaton TIW200XLS per channel.

Best regards

Gertjan

Hi mac,
your equipment looks very good. I believe, it is worth to be presented a bit better, if you want that too. Is it possible to see pictures with a higher resolution? I also am interested in the experiences concerning the settings of the DEQX, because I want to use it for my sealed 3-ways also. (The same question I would like to address to Gertjan.)
Would you prefer the dipoles over a sealed solution (with correction) absolutely? You put them relatively near to the corners of that small room, did you have any problems with equalisation at lower frequencies?
Unfortunately I do not have an own room for music only, I have to share the living room with my family. My "laboratory" is 8 sqm only and filled with electronic parts, docs e.t.c. as you can imagine.:xeye:
Thank you for the interesting picture!
A bit off topic: I'm going to by a M-Audio Delta1010LT. Would you prefer this or another soundcard for doing measurements on speakers and classD Amps?
Regards, Timo

Gertjan, Thank you for the information.

Timo, Here are a couple links to higher res photos:

View from listening chair.
Room treatment.

This is an interesting graph . It shows the in-room response of the woofers measured at the listening chair. The graph on the top is a single woofer mounted in a 2.5L sealed box and the graph on the bottom is the dipole woofer. You can see why I like dipole bass. :)

I think whether you prefer dipole to monopole midrange is a matter of personal preference. The dipole will present a more diffuse sound stage. If the box is properly designed it can provide a more focused image with little to no added box coloration. Of course YMMV depending on room acoustics and taste.

Cheers, mac.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.