ICE/ class d amps used for PA/musical instruments?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Digital Amp?

Is this what you guys are talking about? A buddy says that the place where he works uses these. He sent me the attached picture. He says that they work very well, but I'm a tube guy and I know nothing about them.

Attachments

• bo2.jpg
    bo2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 808
Mr Rowland

Yes he uses SMPS, and did in his model 10 and 12 also.

Mr Rowland may use transformers in the input / output stage of his preamps etc, but the 201 is made (certainly in part) by the ASP series from ICEpower AS in Denmark.

I am sure that the input stage will have refinements, and he would have ensured that his additional circuitry adds to the mix to ensure good performance from his amplifier.

Cheers

Sheriff

km said:
hi.

>Does B&O/ICE sell those modules directly yo the end user? Anyone know where to buy them in the scandinavia?>

perhaps a bit late but i can point you to a source for these ;)

best rgds - karsten madsen - www.cadaudio.dk

well, you can't order them as a private person, but, if you know somebody who builds audio product, there's no problem!

I just opened the Jeff Rowland Concerto Amp... there is really an Icepower 500 ASP in the case; at the inputs they added a Lundahl transformer, that's all ;) the same is in the 201 without preamp
I took a lot of pics, maybe I'll build some amps to fully activate my systems for 10 % of the price of 6 Rowlands

Getting back to the original topic . . .

I have a pair of UcD180 modules and want to use them to power a compact, lightweight PA system. If I can save a pound or two by using a SMPS, I would be even happier for the added portability--I should say my wife would be happier, as she is the one lugging the system around day in and day out.

Could anyone point me to worthwhile designs and or component suppliers for such a power supply? An additional feature which would be nice is to be able to switch between low (60-80watts) and high (up to the nominal 180 watts max) output ranges. The purpose here is to match lower and higher speaker capacities for different rooms (small / large) using the single PA system.

Being kind of new to all of this, I would greatly apppreciate any help. ;>)

Regards,

John C

Re: Getting back to the original topic . . .

jhenryc said:
I have a pair of UcD180 modules and want to use them to power a compact, lightweight PA system. If I can save a pound or two by using a SMPS, I would be even happier for the added portability--I should say my wife would be happier, as she is the one lugging the system around day in and day out.

Could anyone point me to worthwhile designs and or component suppliers for such a power supply? An additional feature which would be nice is to be able to switch between low (60-80watts) and high (up to the nominal 180 watts max) output ranges. The purpose here is to match lower and higher speaker capacities for different rooms (small / large) using the single PA system.

Being kind of new to all of this, I would greatly apppreciate any help. ;>)

Regards,

John C

Hi John,

You may want to try the SMPS on this site,

http://www.a-and-t-labs.com/K6_Sw_Amp/index.htm

it has a switchable output voltage and you could modify those voltages if you can replace a few resistors. Note however that the supply is a kit, you have to assemble it yourself. It is a bit expensive for two UcD180 modules and it delivers far more power than you need.

I have ordered two of them since I need to feed 6 to 8 UcD amps for two active speakers. Unfortunately, the design seems a bit old and it has no power factor correction. I want to try it out and it may work fine since these supplies are normally used for a high power Class AB amp.

Best regards

Gertjan

hi.

jens, no unlike others i know what i have said and written. ;)

the difference from then to now is that we do sell the boards/modules to diy's and in my mind you should feel free to compare whatever boards you like , personally i think you should include icepower and lc audio boards as well.

i dont know if you can convince the manufacturers that you can conduct a test like this in a serious and professional manner, in my mind it should be complimented with a series of measurements too, can you do this?

best rgds - karsten madsen - cadaudio.dk

As I (luckily) have no professional affiliation with any HIFI manufacturer, I have no access to audio analyser equipment. I can, however, offer a fair and unbiased test of any PWM modules or amps. Anyone interested in participating can contact me when and if this opportunity arises.

\Jens

Gertjan,

Thanks for the info--that device does look like overkill for my needs. I would also wonder if, after assembling over 130 components, I had somewhere made an important mistake! For that price I would hope to find something mostly assembled already. But if that is the only option available, I will certainly give it a closer look.

With respect to Class D amps, it seems that the technology is finally coming of age, in terms of price/quality--i.e., more products that are worth buying are being made available. I guess I'm hoping that a similar move would be occurring for audio-ready SMPS technology as well.

Anyone aware of other "audio-ready" SMPS products that are available?

Thanks,

John C

jhenryc said:
Gertjan,

Thanks for the info--that device does look like overkill for my needs. I would also wonder if, after assembling over 130 components, I had somewhere made an important mistake! For that price I would hope to find something mostly assembled already. But if that is the only option available, I will certainly give it a closer look.

With respect to Class D amps, it seems that the technology is finally coming of age, in terms of price/quality--i.e., more products that are worth buying are being made available. I guess I'm hoping that a similar move would be occurring for audio-ready SMPS technology as well.

Anyone aware of other "audio-ready" SMPS products that are available?

Thanks,

John C

Hi John,

Assembled modules of SMPS power supplies for audio applications do exist. Have a look at www.cadaudio.dk. Go to the PWM amp section and soon you wil find powersupplies as well. I was interested in those supplies, however, there is some small print at the end of the webpage saying that they only sell the supplies in combination with amps. Maybe you could ask nicely :)

Gertjan

ghemink said:

Hi John,

Assembled modules of SMPS power supplies for audio applications do exist. Have a look at www.cadaudio.dk. Go to the PWM amp section and soon you wil find powersupplies as well. I was interested in those supplies, however, there is some small print at the end of the webpage saying that they only sell the supplies in combination with amps. Maybe you could ask nicely :)

Gertjan

I asked mr. Madsen nicely and he replied, also nicely, that he would not sell it without his (or ICpower's) modules, for the reason that those are fullbridged and thus do not suffer from power supply pumping, making them more suitable for an SMPS than halfbridged modules like UcD and Zappulse. Maybe they aren't bad at all, these cadaudio's; I'm very curious for JensRasmussen's test. I hope he is able to include the Zap's in the test too. I just build an amplifier for bassguitar with a Zap and a -77/+77 PSU (Transf. 1000VA). It sounds brilliant; I only need a better matching preamp to get the full power (some 600-650 W, i guess).
By the way, i am at least as curious for your findings with the A&T SMPS. I am strongly considering ordering 1 or two of those. So please keep us updated on your findings...

edit: mr. Reinhard Metz of A and T Labs mailed me that he thought the Zap's and the SMPS would go well together and make for a nice lightweight design. I don't think he is trying to sell them at all costs since the kits are more like a 'hobby outgrowth' and his main business is consulting...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.